Hard Clunk under braking

silversilvia

Got a problem i need some pointers to find the culprit

2013 Civic Si Sedan, 7000 miles, 24mm rear sway bar, camber bolts on the front top, maximum negative camber (-1.5) up front. stock everything else.

i have drove this set up for several autocross events. however the last event i did the finish line had a quick jog to the left then hard on the brakes (they didn't really have the proper distance to take your time to slow down so after you pass the lights you have to return your steering and stomp on the brakes) every time i did that i heard a single loud "clunk" in the front end. this was pretty consistent on my 4 runs, it would not happen on the course just at the finish line and i think the combo of hard braking until ABS came on and loading the left wheel made this clunk. i *thought* it came from the passenger side of the car. never really figured it out and under daily driving and even aggressive driving on the road the car was fine.

well today i did a quick brake and left turn and on to the hwy and i heard the clunk again, but now on the driver side. so it appears to be the opposite end that the car is loading.

tonight i took the tires off and checked everything. everything looked fine and there was no play. camber bolts are still in there tight and have not moved. the ONLY thing i did notice is what i grabbed the CV shaft it did have some in and out play with the car jacked up and with it on the ground on suspension. maybe an 1/8" of an inch of play in and out. its the same on both side.

lug nuts were tight, no slop in steering, car drove straight and alignment is good.

any idea's what it may be? is the CV joint suppose to have in and out play?

thanks!

Back