Have a Motorcycle? Get in here!

subuhuge.jpg
just purchased last week @AlienPrime

This was my 2nd sportbike from back in the day, it was a 1981 GPz550

Yeah I'm old...er than most of you all, lol.

I've had many sportbikes since this one but currently I'm without one, however that could change at any moment : )
GPZ550low.jpg

Last edited:
advice for a first bike ?

If you're between 150 & 200 a 600cc will be a good start. If you are prone to getting into close calls/wrecks, I'd stay away from them altogether.. Don't buy a bike till you have enough money to take a class that involves road riding survival. Learning the bike is easier than learning how to avoid contact with other moving objects. What you've learned in a car helps, but on a bike it's like skiing though trees, only the trees move, and you will always need to read their next move.
There are controls on a bike that can make the bike stop or swerve(not good to do both at the same time), then there's body English(lots of diff' ways to use it, like leaning deeper than the bike is leaning, or seating on top while the bike is leaning over. If you don't know this stuff you need to take classes.
I've been riding since the late 50's and still riding, the ppl are more of a threat than back when(more unaware/and or daring). You need to get though it with out an attitude, it's a daily event, a mental process.(check my signature).
I've pretty much kept out of the way, but deer are my most feared threat, the best thing is to expect them to do anything, If I see one I stop(while getting over to the side so not to be rear-ended) and look for their mates, and give them time, just because they cross doesn't mean they won't double back(car or bike).

If you're thinking you know all this crap, I'd stay away from bikes..... JMHO...:D

If you're between 150 & 200 a 600cc will be a good start. If you are prone to getting into close calls/wrecks, I'd stay away from them altogether.. Don't buy a bike till you have enough money to take a class that involves road riding survival. Learning the bike is easier than learning how to avoid contact with other moving objects. What you've learned in a car helps, but on a bike it's like skiing though trees, only the trees move, and you will always need to read their next move.
There are controls on a bike that can make the bike stop or swerve(not good to do both at the same time), then there's body English(lots of diff' ways to use it, like leaning deeper than the bike is leaning, or seating on top while the bike is leaning over. If you don't know this stuff you need to take classes.
I've been riding since the late 50's and still riding, the ppl are more of a threat than back when(more unaware/and or daring). You need to get though it with out an attitude, it's a daily event, a mental process.(check my signature).
I've pretty much kept out of the way, but deer are my most feared threat, the best thing is to expect them to do anything, If I see one I stop(while getting over to the side so not to be rear-ended) and look for their mates, and give them time, just because they cross doesn't mean they won't double back(car or bike).

If you're thinking you know all this crap, I'd stay away from bikes..... JMHO...:D
I haven't had one for 10 years and have gotten the itch to buy a new one every spring, BUT cellphone use makes the prospect of riding again very scary. As enjoyable as riding a motorcycle is, it is an exercise in defensive, reactionary, and even pre-cognitive behavior...AT ALL TIMES.

@Monk read through your advice and i agree with everything you said. i believe i am a defensive driver when i need to be, and im still interested in buying a bike. obviously plan on taking the motorcycle safety course, wasnt fortunate enough to be in a family where we got that "luxary". i hate to say it but YOLO. i know im gonna grow out of it soon enough, just something i want to experience for a couple years before i get too old for it

@Monk read through your advice and i agree with everything you said. i believe i am a defensive driver when i need to be, and im still interested in buying a bike. obviously plan on taking the motorcycle safety course, wasnt fortunate enough to be in a family where we got that "luxary". i hate to say it but YOLO. i know im gonna grow out of it soon enough, just something i want to experience for a couple years before i get too old for it

That's another subject all together, I'm 69 years old now and don't see my self as being to old to ride.
This is mine..........

mtb1g7.jpg

By the way...... This is what V-tech on my Honda mc does....... It is a V-4 with 4 valves per cylinder and all cylinders run on 2 valves until it gets to 6,600 rpm...... then it kicks in all the valves, it will stay in 4 valves(VT) forever as long as it's running between 6,600 & 11,000 rpms......... Seems Like Honda has a lot of diff' ways to use their V-technology....

Took the motorcycle safety course and passed it this weekend! I freaking loved it. Never even sat on a bike before, but they taught me the basics pretty well.
So next weekend I'm probably gonna buy a ninja 250. I figure I'll learn on that because i only need it for to and from school, which is all less than 45 mph. Also, they're really cheap so I think that can carry me through until learn the basics. Then when I start my co-op this summer, maybe I can upgrade.

Back