Hazey / Cloudy fogs on 2013 Si Sedan - Fix

7civics

Surrey
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Sedan
FYI - this never happened on my '12 Si with HID fogs - I thought it was maybe due to the smaller housing or less than adequate heat dissapation on the 13's...not sure.

So I installed HID fogs on my sedan the day after I got' er. I then started to notice a cloudyness or haziness appear after sometime. To be clear (no pun intended) it was not like water condensation but more like a dry, semi translucent white paint around the outer edges is the best I can describe it. Sorry should of took pics.

I thought that maybe my HID's were burning the lenses and we know that HID's run cooler than Halogens. Luckily this was not the case.

The fix is easy,

I simply removed the fogs, by removing the front garnish and removing the two screws that hold the housing in place (directions in your cars manual under changing bulbs). I then proceeded to remove the bulb itself.

Now, I used a lintless rag and the back end of a pen. Wrap the the end of the pen in the rag and push it through the hole where the bulb goes. Start lightly rubbing it and Voila! The white residue will come off with ease. I had to pull the rag out a few times and use a clean area, took about 5 mins each side being very diligent. You can also dampen the rag to help get it the last traces off and to polish it when near completion. Re-install and boom, done.

Im still not sure why this happened, or if it'll return, but good to know there was no real damage and its a free fix.

Hope this helps anyone who runs across this problem.

Keep us posted on how your fogs do down the road. If there is a real problem, you can get them replaced. I bet I've seen 3-4 users get their fogs replaced under warranty now.

Back