HDMI while driving on hondalink

scmcneill

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2014 Si, and I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the lockout for the HDMI feature through the head unit while moving. My wife has a veloster, and all it took for that was going into "service mode" and putting a code in, so I'm hoping it will be as simple for the civic. It only works while the e-brake is on, so I tried pulling it to one click so that the car thought it was on, and it worked until I started moving. This leads me to believe that there will be no easy way of hacking it mechanically, but someone somewhere knows how to get into the operating system and turn the lock out off. We just need to find them. If anyone comes up with anything please let me know.

It looks like that will probably work, but that is more slicing and dicing than I want to do on my new baby. I truly think there is a software solution out there somewhere, and if not there will be.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Most if not all honda/acura forums are saying the same method is the only solution.

I see. Well does anyone know what operating system it's running? For instance, my wife's veloster is running Windows ce, and they were able to take the safeties off by getting into the operating system.

most believe the Imid display runs some version of CE, but I don't know about the nav.

The 2014 has the "next generation hondalink" as an option (which mine has) and it doesn't have a de facto navigation unit. It's more of an infotainment system that, with a smartphone app, can become a nav.

The 2014 has the "next generation hondalink" as an option (which mine has) and it doesn't have a de facto navigation unit. It's more of an infotainment system that, with a smartphone app, can become a nav.
That is only true if you have an EX, EX-L, or Si with DisplayAudio without the Satellite Navigation option. Honda still offers Navigation as an option using the same DisplayAudio stereo. In that case, you would not need to plug in your smartphone to get Nav.

No problem…didn't want anyone to think Honda no longer offered Navi with the DisplayAudio system, when it is still available on EX, EX-L, and Si trim levels. There is one extra benefit of the Navi option for 2014…for the first time ever, Honda now offers HD Radio along with XM Radio with the Navi option.

I just got the new Honda Fit that has the same unit. It seems everyone is trying to answer this question as to how to enable HDMI while driving. So far, this is what I have learned. There is a way to get into a Diagnostic Screen on the HondaLink system. This is done by pressing the HOME, POWER OFF, and EJECT buttons at the same time and holding them for a few seconds. Note: you cannot be on the Home screen while doing this. Unfortunately, there is no way within the diagnostics screens to turn off the HDMI deactivation mode. I suspect that the only way to enable the HDMI port is either through a hardware solution as stated above - or by debugging how the Honda NAV app re-enables the display. I am assuming that the Honda NAV app is probably sending data to the display (via the USB connection) that re-enables it. The real question is whether this data sent to the display is constant or a simple one time command. At this point my concern is that the Honda NAV app is smart enough to enable and disable the display during its use. I would be interested to know if anyone who has the NAV app has tried to put it in background mode and then start an App such as Google Maps to see if it would work while driving. I suspect that as soon as the Honda NAV app is moved to a background mode it again disables the display.... If anyone could verify this it would be helpful information. At this point I am just hoping that at some point HondaLink will end up supporting Apple's CarPlay with a firmware upgrade at some point down the road...

I found some new menu in the diagnostics mode But didnt found anything about enabling HDMI while driving on My Civic 2014 touring.
Press Home--eject--power when on the diagnostic screen keep Home pressed for about 20 seconds you get to a new menu...
Another one--Go Home-eject-power select 2nd option from diagnostic menu then keep menu button pressed for 20 seconds and you get a lot of options to play around

Look at post number 11 above. The guy explains how to enter the service menu on the DisplayAudio stereo. Then browse the service menu to see if it has an option to turn off the operation restriction as explained in the video above.

Need to play with these Diagnostic Screens and hopefully find a way to have all the doors unlock when using the smart entry on the drivers side. Currently, when I stick my hand on the drivers side door handle, only the drivers side door unlocks.

Gets annoying when you have passengers or need to put stuff in the rear seat.

Need to play with these Diagnostic Screens and hopefully find a way to have all the doors unlock when using the smart entry on the drivers side. Currently, when I stick my hand on the drivers side door handle, only the drivers side door unlocks.

I have a 14 si and that option is in the regular menu options. Don't need to get into the diagnostic screen

I have a 14 si and that option is in the regular menu options. Don't need to get into the diagnostic screen
I also have a '14 Si coupe and used the option in the regular menu to set it to unlock both doors when I unlock the car by touching the door handle.

What option are you guys seeing? @JonnyRotten @Scuderi

I looked through all the menus last night and didn't see anything.....

You do it through the little screen by the odometer, not on the iMid.

Menu button (on steering wheel) --> Custom settings --> Keyless Access Setup --> Door Unlock Mode --> Select "All Doors"

Hope this is insightful!

Back