Headlight not working, IMID error lights, and something weird..

dylan223

idaho
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
sedan
So I have a 2013 Si with HID low and high beams running off the stock harness with no relay harness. A couple months ago my right low beam went out, after diagnosing it, it appears that there is no power supply coming from the stock harness. I checked the under hood relay and fuse and under dash fuses and all is good, but no power at the bulb connection/ HID input power plug. A couple weeks later my right side high beam went, diagnostics are exactly the same as for low beam. A week later after that, when I start the car my dash/ imid would light up with all kinds of error lights- check power steering system, check brake system, check VSA system, etc... and it does then about once a week or so. This left me clueless and wondering what the heck is going on! could the HID have caused some damage to the some of the computers/control modules on the car? looking for input on this cuz I'm bummed out and clueless..

Thanks in advance.

So I have a 2013 Si with HID low and high beams running off the stock harness with no relay harness. A couple months ago my right low beam went out, after diagnosing it, it appears that there is no power supply coming from the stock harness. I checked the under hood relay and fuse and under dash fuses and all is good, but no power at the bulb connection/ HID input power plug. A couple weeks later my right side high beam went, diagnostics are exactly the same as for low beam. A week later after that, when I start the car my dash/ imid would light up with all kinds of error lights- check power steering system, check brake system, check VSA system, etc... and it does then about once a week or so. This left me clueless and wondering what the heck is going on! could the HID have caused some damage to the some of the computers/control modules on the car? looking for input on this cuz I'm bummed out and clueless..

Thanks in advance.

Check your battery. Sounds like it might be on its way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

put a new battery in recently because mines was going out, after all the problems had started, but its still the same thing.

Im starting to think theres some headlight control module that got messed up by the HID running right of the harness

Im starting to think theres some headlight control module that got messed up by the HID running right of the harness

Have you checked your ballasts. Did they get wet? Everything connected? I've had HID's in my headlights since I bought the car. Haven't had any problems like this though.

I agree with fg3, check your ballasts. If those are ok, call your local auto parts store, like autozone, and they may be able to plug in a code reader and see what your ecu is saying. Unless you have a flashpro, then you can do it yourself. Thats where I would start.

but no power at the bulb connection/ HID input power plug.
How did you check there was no power....multi meter? My first thought would be bulbs. Next would be ballasts. A lot of aftermarket hid kits are absolute junk. A lot of the kits on the market can be purchased in china for around $7. Some are even less.

Take a working low or high beam bulb and move it to the other side that isn't working. Does the non working side work now?

Yes - bad bulbs
No? -

Take a ballest from a working light and move it to the non working side. Does that side now work?

Yes - bad ballasts
No?

Also, do you have any mods besides your hid kits? Intake/exhaust etc?

Buy a proper harness once you get it sorted. It's like $20 and will power the ballasts better than the stock wiring.

I agree with fg3, check your ballasts. If those are ok, call your local auto parts store, like autozone, and they may be able to plug in a code reader and see what your ecu is saying. Unless you have a flashpro, then you can do it yourself. Thats where I would start.
The scanners we have at AutoZone will only pull codes if the CEL is on. And even then, its not always acurate seeing as how it provides a rough "translation" of the code and not the actual code itself (like P***) We have another tester that could test his alternator and battery but thats about it. I would do everhything Webby mentions. Its worked for me in the past.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

What's up Guys? I am Troy, all the way from BFE Kentucky. I have also crept on the site on and off, and the site has a ton of information that is extremely useful. I first drove a 2013 Civic SI sedan as my daily, while I worked on my 2003 Accord project car until the lease was up.
View attachment 52941

I loved the SI I had so much, I found a good deal on a 2013 SI Coupe March of this year and went for it. :)
View attachment 52942

Have you checked your ballasts. Did they get wet? Everything connected? I've had HID's in my headlights since I bought the car. Haven't had any problems like this though.

How did you check there was no power....multi meter? My first thought would be bulbs. Next would be ballasts. A lot of aftermarket hid kits are absolute junk. A lot of the kits on the market can be purchased in china for around $7. Some are even less.

Take a working low or high beam bulb and move it to the other side that isn't working. Does the non working side work now?

Yes - bad bulbs
No? -

Take a ballest from a working light and move it to the non working side. Does that side now work?

Yes - bad ballasts
No?

Also, do you have any mods besides your hid kits? Intake/exhaust etc?

The scanners we have at AutoZone will only pull codes if the CEL is on. And even then, its not always acurate seeing as how it provides a rough "translation" of the code and not the actual code itself (like P***) We have another tester that could test his alternator and battery but thats about it. I would do everhything Webby mentions. Its worked for me in the past.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

The problem is not in the bulbs or ballasts, as stated in OP theres no longer any power at the stock harness bulb connector/ which is the input power connection for ballast. I checked relays under the hood, and relays are still getting power in and out. Only other mod is intake. The iMID error messages are random and not consistent, besides I dont get any headlight error messages, its "check power steering system, check brake system, check VSA system, etc.."

and the weird thing is its both on the right side, and first the low beam then the high beam.

So what you are saying is there is no power going to the ballast on the right side but the relay is working and suppose to be sending power to the ballast?

as stated in OP theres no longer any power at the stock harness bulb connector
which is why I asked how you determined there was no power. Did you use a multimeter into the stock wire harness bulb base? What did you do exactly besides looking to see if the relays/fuses were blown?

your errors can be from a hid kit. Others have had it. I've seen some say intakes have caused it. A bunch of people have had the error lights you've described, and a number of times it's been the hids. Other reasons are also mentioned in this thread along with others.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/abs-vsa-power-steering.13575/

So what you are saying is there is no power going to the ballast on the right side but the relay is working and suppose to be sending power to the ballast?

which is why I asked how you determined there was no power. Did you use a multimeter into the stock wire harness bulb base? What did you do exactly besides looking to see if the relays/fuses were blown?

your errors can be from a hid kit. Others have had it. I've seen some say intakes have caused it. A bunch of people have had the error lights you've described, and a number of times it's been the hids. Other reasons are also mentioned in this thread along with others.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/abs-vsa-power-steering.13575/

Yes, the stock harness/bulb base has no power on the right side high and low beam. I checked the relays in the fuse box, they are working, sending and receiving power, i checked that at the terminals with a multimeter and swapped the left/right relays and still got nothing. I am currently running a relay harness, only way to get both sides to light up, but i still get the iMID messages occasionally. Im wondering if the headlight wires integrate somewhere with a control module between the fuse box & relay and the bulb base?.. or is it straight shot from the fuse box to the bulb? if its straight shot, i could check for continuity between the relay terminals and bulb base to find out if theres some damage to the wires.

Yes, the stock harness/bulb base has no power on the right side high and low beam. I checked the relays in the fuse box, they are working, sending and receiving power, i checked that at the terminals with a multimeter and swapped the left/right relays and still got nothing. I am currently running a relay harness, only way to get both sides to light up, but i still get the iMID messages occasionally. Im wondering if the headlight wires integrate somewhere with a control module between the fuse box & relay and the bulb base?.. or is it straight shot from the fuse box to the bulb? if its straight shot, i could check for continuity between the relay terminals and bulb base to find out if theres some damage to the wires.

I don't have a subscription to look up the wiring, but you could do a 1 day thing to pull electrical diagrams. It costs $10 from honda. I don't know how it travels back towards the relays/fuse box from the bulb base wiring.

http://www.serviceexpress.honda.com/

Back