HELP!! Huge Shaking Problem In PRN, not D.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I drive an 8th gen LX Automatic.

Ok so last night I got out of work and had a slight problem with my car. When I started it, it began making a loud noise and shaking noticeably. It got way worse in R and in N but as soon as I put it into D it went away. I wasn't sure what to make of it. It went away quick so I thought weird temp/humidity on startup. Started driving home and getting large amounts of noise over bumps in the road but made it home.

Today on start up same thing only much much worse. Again put it in D and problem is all but completely gone. Initially I thought it was some type of build up on the rotors since it felt like the brakes grabbing/leting go scraping off surface rust when I was backing out of a space. I checked oil/AT fluid, exhaust connections, everything I could think of.

The problem is massive vibration and shaking of the car. It almost feels like it is going to stall.

Is this possibly a broken/loose motor mount? I'm at 59,000 miles so I have 1k left on trans warranty. I thought there was a tsb for 8th gens on front right motor mount but the noise was for when the owner was going over bumps and experiencing noise from that area of the car.

This seems to be a problem that popped up quickly and I have no warning lights on. Doing a drain and fill tonight in the parking garage at work when I get out to see if it's trans related. I don't think so though since putting it in P and N make it worse.

Taking it to Honda tomorrow or day after.

Does the engine sound like its running rough? Rpms normal?

normal everything. Just massive shaking and vibration.

Seems like a motor mount is very likely. I see a number of posts about the 8thGen breaking mounts. Numerous users with broken motor mounts and transmission mounts complaining on 8.

I scoured the pages of 8th looking for an answer but everyone just refers to the normal terrible vibration of the AT at idle.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I saw loads of the posts about the front right mount. Seems to be the source. Thanks webby.

Keep us posted if you can spot it...or if Honda does.

I going to get a vid and post it so everyone can hear/see the effect.

Yeah, I also posted a vid. Motor mount. Replaced under warranty. Thanks though.

It had collapsed. I believe they are fluid filled to help with vibration damping so it must have developed a leak somewhere. I had some vibration issues but nothing really bad until the motor started contacting the frame.

Back