Help with 12' si clutch purchase

Brokendiff

So im not sure where else to ask so I will here. So it seems our new to us SI has the clutch squeel issue and the fix seems to be a new clutch assembly. So my concern is if it has been a common problem then I do not want to go with oem parts. I bought car about 5 weeks ago and this wont be under any waranty. I have a certified mechanic neighbor wh is willing to do it with me helping (I never did a clutch so ought to be interesting). So as far as clutch kits go what am I looking for to buy. I would like a better aftermarket assembly but would like it to be as easy on my wallt as possible. What do you suggest. Car is stock and wont see any big mods for a long time. Wife does not need a full built up car but I do plan on some basic taste full mods over our ownership like flashpro and tune and tires. What parts do I need to complete properly and which brand and such while being budget minded as my FJ Cruiser is in current need of front cv boots and thats not to easy on my wallet combined with a clutch for our SI. So any thoughts and advice or general tips or heads up?

We had a few people who had clutch springs break that were replaced under warranty. If I had to guess, maybe 5 or 6 users had that done that I recall. I don't really know that I've seen many complain about a squealing issues. From another site:

===
CLUTCH NOISE
Clutch noise is another problem that may be tricky to pinpoint. If a squealing or chirping noise appears or goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, the cause may be a bad release bearing. Other causes include a bad pilot bushing, a worn or defective input shaft bearing in the transmission, a worn, bent or improperly lubricated release fork, a worn input shaft, improper disc installation, misalignment, damaged bearing retainer, loose flywheel bolts, damaged disc splines, or worn stop pins or broken damper.
A growling or grinding noise when the clutch is engaged may be due to a bad transmission input shaft bearing.
A squealing sound that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed and held is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.

A chirping noise that intensifies when the pedal is slowly depressed would indicate a bad release bearing.

If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise."
===

You will need to use the oem flywheel or a replacement oem flywheel. Lightweight flywheels can cause the car to go into limp mode. You can use aftermarket lightweight flywheels, but you need flashpro to use them, so keep that in mind if you end up ordering an aftermarket setup.

oem flywheel - HONDA PART NUMBER 22100-RBC-003

oem clutch is good for low 300hp at the wheels. Some users have installed competition stage 1 clutches if you don't want to go with the oem. With the mods you want to do in the future, you'd easily be fine with the oem clutch power wise.

discounted from honda msrp - (they're vendors here as well)
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/oe-honda/22100rbc003

if you become more active, you can also qualify for their rewards pricing
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/forum-rewards-pricing.2392/

Thanks for the reply. I have alittle time to consider this cars issue as I realized my truck needs done first because I have three weeks til inspecction. So I have some time to research this. Any additional thoughts are welcome. I do plan to stick around awhile. I like the car but do miss some things about our old 04 wrx, some I dont. Like low mpg. The awd couldnt be beat in foul weather though.

Thanks for the reply. I have alittle time to consider this cars issue as I realized my truck needs done first because I have three weeks til inspecction. So I have some time to research this. Any additional thoughts are welcome. I do plan to stick around awhile. I like the car but do miss some things about our old 04 wrx, some I dont. Like low mpg. The awd couldnt be beat in foul weather though.
You are correct to worry about using an OEM replacement; I have seen several people have their clutch replaced under warranty and had the same problem return (hub springs wearing which causes a small chirp when torquing the clutch during gear changes or starting from a stop) about 30k miles later. Personally, I had mine replaced under warranty but have not had the issue return. I attribute this to replacing the Rear Motor Mount about the same time (one of the cheapest and most needed mods for the Si).

There are a number of aftermarket clutch kits that are very similar to the factory clutch, unfortunately none of them are cheap. But it's also not something you have to do anytime soon - it doesn't sound like your clutch is in dire need of replacement just yet. Check out sites like ProCivic and other vendors that specialize in Hondas/Civics to get a good idea of what is out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I got mine replaced under warranty just at about 35k miles and now I'm close to 80k no problems yet.

Im kind of in the same boat as my si has 49k on it and it started squealing occasionally while letting off the clutch from a stop, mine is accompanied by clutch slippage as well so fun stuff, more great news my local Honda dealer checked it out (poorly in my opinion) long story short they aren't covering it under powertrain cause the dealer changed their story and didn't even look at my car but either way I need a new clutch ive been looking around at competition clutch kits, any good news or suggestions

Back