HFP suspension or wait?

NthTier

Chicagoland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I saw that the HFP suspension is now available for purchase.

I am wondering what I should do considering I do not want to go with coil-overs and I do want springs designed specifically for the 9th gen:
  1. Get the HFP in the near future
  2. Wait for koni/spring combo to come out from more vendors (I know Eibach has sets out, but based on 8th gen tests they tend to bind early).
Thoughts?

Hot setup now is to run Koni Sports and cut a 1/2 coil on the TOP of the rear spring (the larger diameter part). The Neuspeed springs are not ground flat on top; so cutting that 1/2 coil doesn't affect the way it sits on the perch at all.

Here's the springs on a 2012 Civic Si Sedan without cutting the rear springs at all.
2012CivicNeuspeedSport.jpg

You get a really nice drop when you mod the rear springs slightly. Great results!

Chris

Chris, I understand what you are talking about, but I do not have the tools nor skill to cut springs (nor am I all that confident that it is a good idea). You have much more experience than I in this area, but just makes me nervous.

I know that Koni shocks are much better than any OEM part (HFP or otherwise), I am just getting tired of waiting for quality springs to come out specifically for 9th gen (unless you know of any).

I have the HFP suspension in my can and althou it isn't as low as some of the aftermarket units it does ride nicely, and gives the car that on rails feeling

Here is a picture of a 2012 Civic EX with 1 full coil cut of the TOP of the rear springs.
NeuspeedRaceRearCut.JPG

Springs are Neuspeed RACE for the 06-11 Civic. You can do the same with Neuspeed SPORTS and have a little less drop (which I think many people will want). And removing a coil on the rear springs is not a problem at all because it doesn't change the diameter of the coil at the upper perch at all. You CANNOT cut a coil on the front springs without changing the interface of the spring to the perch... but the rear doesn't change anything; so it's definitely ok. Just need the 06-11 rear upper spring isolator of course.

And removing a coil on the spring is not a difficult thing to do. It's as easy as removing branches from a tree but you use a metal saw like a hack saw or other metal saw. And then use some primer or other rust inhibitor at the cut point... but even that's not a big deal other than for looks.

FYI here is a 2012 Civic Si on Neuspeed Sports (same as what I posted a few posts up).
2012CivicNeuspeedSport.jpg

The front of the Si is heavier; so note that the front is almost as low as the 2012 EX above on the RACE springs. Trying to run the Neuspeed RACE on the Si would mean the front was really slammed... which some people may love. But I think the Neuspeed SPORT is the way to go with removing 1/2 to 1 coil of the TOP of the rear spring. This pic has un-modified rear springs; so you can see how removing 1/2-1 coil of the rear spring would make for a perfect setup. I'd probably start with removing 1/2 coil and see how it sits... you can always cut more, but you definitely cannot magically grow 1/2 coil back onto the spring if you go too far. I would do it in steps for sure.... I have cut springs before, and it's worth doing it a little at a time.

And frankly, you can do this with any 06-11 Civic springs on the 2012+ Civic. It's such an easy mod and the results are fantastic. And not expensive as really good suspensions go. And will kick the crap out of the HFP setup from a performance point of view without causing you any additional discomfort on your daily commute.

Hope that's helpful information for everyone! :)
Cheers,
Chris

Chris, I understand what you are talking about, but I do not have the tools nor skill to cut springs (nor am I all that confident that it is a good idea). You have much more experience than I in this area, but just makes me nervous.

I know that Koni shocks are much better than any OEM part (HFP or otherwise), I am just getting tired of waiting for quality springs to come out specifically for 9th gen (unless you know of any).
Curious -- What did you finally decide on... HFP suspension, koni.... or still shopping? The HFP seems to get good reviews. Probably second best, but for the risk averse among us maybe the way to go. $770 now at CHH.

hahaha call me cheap, but i think i'd just cut my stock springs... or even easier, heat up the springs with a rosebud tip, might not even need a realignment then... lol but if i was being seious, id go coilovers all the way, because our lifes change, and maybe someday you'll need a little height adjustment here and there throughout the years, i remember back in the day lowering and with all the stereo junk in the trunk, sagged out the rear soooo badly.... wich would have been easy to change if had coilovers.....

I am waiting for springs that are designed for 9th gen (ones that do not need the 8th gen upper rubber mount in the rear) with koni inserts. Will definitely go with RedShiftChris once there are more options (more than Eibach anyway). Here's to hoping Neuspeed and Swift come out with some springs for our 9th gens!

Back