HID and DRL size

arivera0809

Hope everyone's weekend is going great, I'm in the process of purchasing some HIDs for my 2014 civic lx coupe, but double checking before I make the purchase. Low beams are H11s correct ? Not 9006s?

Also, for LED DRLs would I need a relay? Size is 9005? Hate to be a bother but I've searched and seen two different answers for both questions. Thanks a ton.

Coupe and sedan are different. It's also all in the manual. You'll also basically lose your high beams if you use led bulbs for drl.

image.jpeg

What's my best option for DRLs ?
A number of people pull their DRL fuse so they don't have them. @FRDRICE and @greene907 mentioned HIR bulbs -

HIR Lighting (Halogen Infrared Reflecting)–

NOTE: HIR Bulbs are only made for the 9005 and 9006. They do not make any other base on these bulbs.

These are a new type of bulb originally created by General Electric. According to www.hirheadlights.com “It was GE's goal to create a bulb that produced 75% of the light output of HID headlights at 25% of the cost.” These bulbs are used as OEM bulbs for the Dodge Viper, BMW Z8, Infiniti I30, Chevy Avalance and new Nissan Maximas.”

This is a bulb made for the replacement of the 9005 and 9006 bulbs. The bulbs are similar in the fact that the filaments are the same size and located in the same place. But the base is a little bit different. The use of a file or a knife for about 5-10mins will make the HIR bulbs fit into the socket of the 9005’s or 9006’s. Here is a site in reference to the minor modification to the base of the bulb that has to be made to fit into our cars.http://shnu.us/HIR Trimming Stock.htm
“These bulbs attain light levels 75% to 110% brighter than stock as a result of an engineering process that deposits multiple, yet almost invisible, layers of semi-reflective coating on the surface of a specially shaped quartz bulb. This coating… reflects a portion of the infrared energy emitted by the filament back onto the filament, causing it to glow brighter and emit more light from the uncoated forward portion of the bulb. Although the filament gets hotter, the glass does not. It generates no more heat than a regular halogen bulb, and it draws the same wattage and amperage as the stock [9005 and] 9006 bulb it replaces”

- A standard HB3/9005 bulb produces 1700 lumens of light.
- The HIR1/9011 bulb produces 2500 lumens of light.
(http://www.hirheadlights.com/stats.htm)

The bulbs are made to draw the same amount of amps and voltage, and put out the same amount of heat as a normal 9005 bulb.

Appreciate it, does any aftermarket bulb require relays? Or pretty much play and play, including HIDS

If you run LED bulbs for your DRL/high beam you will likely have to run a relay harness as well as resistors as the resistance the car needs to see will be lower. Which in turn will cause the car to throw the check DRL light on the dash, best bet is to just pull the fuse to disable the DRL and you can run LED bulbs for high beam if you want. For the HIDs I always recommend running a relay harness as it makes sure the HIDs are always getting the proper voltage and adds a extra safeguard in the system. Even with the relay harness everything should still be plug and play.

Back