HID's cause DRL & Cabin Lights to Dim

BlackOut

Recently had my local tint shop install aftermarket HID's on my civ, but my DRL's look extremely dim when driving in the day time. In fact if I had to describe it, they look like a flashlight about to die. At night when I pull over and turn on the cabin lights, after idling for a minute or two, my cabin lights dim for a few seconds and go back to normal repeatedly. Any ideas on what it can be? I'm thinking I probably need to wire harness directly to the battery or they installed some shitty *** kit in it. But just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

The car is a brand new 2012, less than 3k miles on it.

Took it apart, they didn't use a harness. It looks like a basic Xenon HID conversion kit for the lows, 6k's. Source goes directly to ballast, then from ballast to bulb. Even the ballast looks like one of those cheap replacement ones you get off ebay. =/
If a harness solves it for now ill pick one up but I'm definitely thinking of just buying a new more reliable kit.

Pic below is the ballast they used, sorry for the poor quality took it with my old phone at night.

Attachments

• 2012-09-24_21-04-05_108.jpg
    2012-09-24_21-04-05_108.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
the harness should resolve the power issues, and also protects your stock wiring.

will give it a shot, thanks for the advice webby! and the link for the wire harness

well, some plug and play kits come with a dual relay wire harness. Xenondepot is an example. So, you have 2 hid kits on your stock wiring (1 kit on fogs and 1 kit on low beams)? I would look at getting a wire harness on both.

Webby remember I don't have the car anymore? I was just seeing if they might have that problem, future help if any one needs it

my bad..the avatar threw me off. I was thinking you had the sti avatar still, and didn't look at your name.

HID ballasts put out electromagnetic interference which is why the ballasts used in XenonDepot HID kits have EMI filters. While a relay harness may help solve your issue i find it extremely wierd that your lights dim when you turn your lights on as technically speaking HIDs draw less power than your standard halogen bulbs. The only time they draw more power is when they are starting up. Unfortunately, the market is flooded with many low grade products which can sometimes damage vehicles.

Steve

Back