DIY Honda Civic Coupe LX, EX, EX-L, Speaker replacement

fg3_colton

Tampa
Vehicle Model
Civic, LX
Body Style
Coupe
For the longest time, I couldnt find a write up on how to replace the stock speakers on the 9th gen coupe. After 3 hours and a lot of cursing, I finally figured it all out. SO, lets get to it.

Speaker/Other recommendations: Both the front and rear speakers I purchased were Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3, I Highly recommend buying from Crutchfield as they include everything needed to mount the speakers properly (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R165X3/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R165X3.html) I realized I made a mistake not buying from them lol. Another thing I recommend you purchase is a set of speaker connectors to avoid cutting into the factory wiring, these were the ones I purchased Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEPJY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Amazon will say they wont fit, but they do, dont worry.

Tools you'll need: Flat head, Philips head (at least 6-8 inches in length, there are a couple screws that will require it). Plastic Trim removal tools (Although I didnt use any, Id highly recommend getting some!)
Optional: 8MM socket, 1/4 Drive is recommended for reasons ill explain later.

Front speakers:

Step one: Door panel removal

(Now, because i was so excited to get the new speakers in, i completely forgot to take pictures while doing most of the work, but thats ok! Everything will be very easy to figure out if you just read carefully.)

The first step is to remove the silver trim on the pull handle shown in the picture below. Be very careful when removing this, if not, most of the clips will break and itll never go on the same! I know this because mine is trashed lol. Start from the back of the trim piece that meets the cloth part of the elbow rest. Once the clips are popped, rotate it up and pull out. Once removed there are 3 Philips head screws that hold on the door panel, their locations are marked in the image below.

IMG_20180315_183443_LI.jpg
Once those screws are removed, peel the door panel slightly in the corner closest to the engine. Run your hand around the edge to pop all the tabs. I didnt run into an issue with any coming out of the door panel, just dont pull too hard. The most important part is, Dont remove the door handle. There is no need to remove the handle, it actually clips into the door panel.

Next step, Speaker removal/installation.

Once the panel is removed, you'll see the speaker. Its held on by one 8MM bolt, a socket is not required as it can also be removed with a Philips head. Once the screw is out, take a flat head and gently pry up the old speaker from the top. Pivot the speaker down, push the bottom in, and it should come right out. DONT PULL ON THE SPEAKER, You will brake the pivot points on it, the bits of plastic will fall into the door and theyll sound very annoying. Please....dont do what i did....

Now youre ready to insert your new speaker. Youll notice that it most likely wont fit, and if youre not me, you will have come prepared with a mounting kit from Crutchfield. Slide the new connector into the OEM one, connect the speaker, test and put everything back on! Then prepare yourself for the **** show that is removing the rear speakers, seriously....its that bad.

Ok....Rear speakers.

Start first by folding the rear seats down, then unscrew this bolt hidden by the coat hanger. IMG_20180315_183546.jpg Once unscrewed, CAREFULLY remove this trim piece by following these instructions (You should also unplug the battery for this part).
IMG_20180315_183511.jpg Start by removing the "Side Airbag" label. Use your hands for this one, rock it side to side and it will come out. Its held in by a metal retaining clip. Squeeze the clip closed and pull out. Itll take some force and wiggling. Once that is removed, move onto the panel closest to the rear window. Pop it out with a flat head. Use this new opening to pull on this trim piece. Itll pop out with some force and wiggling. Do the same on the other side. With all that removed, you can begin working on the rear deck. Start by taking out the third brake light bulb through the trunk(If equipped). While youre in the trunk, start pushing up on the green/brown retaining clips, itll take a lot of force, but they will pop out. Once those are popped, go in the cab and lift up the little covers that hide the car seat hooks. The part the door clips into is actually a really good handle, use this area to pull up and out to you. This is the method that worked best for me, you may find your own which is perfectly fine, just be careful! Once the deck is removed, the speaker removal and install is identical to the front speakers! Note: if you chose to use a 8MM socket, I recommend using a 1/4 drive, its smaller and will fit in the small area between the speaker and glass. Put everything back together and youre done!
If youre sill confused, I managed to find a short youtube video here (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUKyNXeXKrw&t=118s
) Although not very descriptive, he does show everything I am referring to.

I hope this helps anyone out there with a 9th gen coupe, please feel free to contact me should you have any questions!

What years is this relevant for? I know most 9th gens are "basically" the same. But it's the little differences that will literally make someone(like me) break something. I'm about to do a full replacement on my '15 coupe ex non navi, so I'm grateful that you shared your experience! I'm already over budget so the less **** i need to fix or replace, the better lol

This specific write up is relevant for '14-15 coupes, the 12-13 is almost identical with the only difference being how the door panel is removed on the 12-13
What years is this relevant for? I know most 9th gens are "basically" the same. But it's the little differences that will literally make someone(like me) break something. I'm about to do a full replacement on my '15 coupe ex non navi, so I'm grateful that you shared your experience! I'm already over budget so the less **** i need to fix or replace, the better lol

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

This specific write up is relevant for '14-15 coupes, the 12-13 is almost identical with the only difference being how the door panel is removed on the 12-13

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Correction: after looking around online, looks like the 2012-13 use the same door panel as the 14-15 which I didn’t expect at all. So it’s the exact same process for all 9th gens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back