Honda Confirms Type-R For U.S. At Civic Concept Debut

there's nothing better then a factory boosted car.

That is debatable.

And the type r I'm sure will be equipped with brembo brakes

Other than looks, upgraded fluid and pads will be able to handle all your braking needs.

recaro bucket seats

I have never sat in Recaros, so I wouldn't know how much of a benefit this is.

For the most part, I like being able to build my car up how I want it and the Si is amazingly priced to start with as a platform to build. Plus, I am not a huge fan of flashy cars that draw attention...which the Type R will do. Hell, going with white wheels was a tough choice for me because it will draw attention around here, but I think they will look amazing on the car.

That is debatable.

Other than looks, upgraded fluid and pads will be able to handle all your braking needs.

I have never sat in Recaros, so I wouldn't know how much of a benefit this is.

For the most part, I like being able to build my car up how I want it and the Si is amazingly priced to start with as a platform to build. Plus, I am not a huge fan of flashy cars that draw attention...which the Type R will do. Hell, going with white wheels was a tough choice for me because it will draw attention around here, but I think they will look amazing on the car.
I actually like owning something rare and eye catching. One thing I've disliked about the Si was with how cheap it is so basically anyone can grab one and with that a nice interior has to be sacrificed (although the 2014+ have really nice interiors) I think the type r will be mind blowing and will put Honda back on the map as a leader in performance. And plus it was faster around the Nurburgring then my dream car the GTR. That pretty much sold it to me lol

I don't like it. At all. Front end looks too much like an Accord. Profile looks like a squished Crosstour. I guess at least it still looks like it belongs in the Honda family. Just doesn't exude Civic to me. Someone needs to tell Honda they are at least five years late on that color as well.

And what the hell is with the motorcycle side mirrors?
Exactly, crosstour back, accord front. Not interested at all. But the type R, oh baby!

..And plus it was faster around the Nurburgring then my dream car the GTR. That pretty much sold it to me lol
It was faster than A Nissan GTR. Plenty of production cars are running sub eight minute laps now. Nothing special.

Still impressive too me. This car with FBO on e85 should be close to 400whp
Agreed, BUT it's a shame it's still FWD. That's a real shame considering the Dart SRT4 and next gen MS3 are both rumored to be AWD. There's really no reason NOT to incorporate it either considering there will still be a cheaper Si alternative.

Agreed, BUT it's a shame it's still FWD. That's a real shame considering the Dart SRT4 and next gen MS3 are both rumored to be AWD. There's really no reason NOT to incorporate it either considering there will still be a cheaper Si alternative.
I totally agree with that. I have no idea why Honda won't do the awd thing. They went rwd with the s2000 and that was great....

I totally agree with that. I have no idea why Honda won't do the awd thing. They went rwd with the s2000 and that was great....
That's a whole 'nother touchy subject for me. I absolutely love AP2's, almost bought one, and they won't bring on a freaking successor!

A tech i work with just ordered his type R. Won't get it until late next spring. Saw the paper work and everything. Nearly $31k

Only $31k? Get the hell out of here!! Post paper work or it didn't happen.:popcorn:

Last edited:
A tech i work with just ordered his type R. Won't get it until late next spring. Saw the paper work and everything. Nearly $31k
It was just announced that the Type-R will be in the US market in 2017, two years from now.

I really like this concept. Very aggressive looking. Love the rear.
Won't Honda lose sales in this category? Maybe too aggressive for the average car buyer who wants a grocery getter. ?

Grocery getters get the rest of the civic lineup or Fits

I really like this concept. Very aggressive looking. Love the rear.
Won't Honda lose sales in this category? Maybe too aggressive for the average car buyer who wants a grocery getter. ?
you haven't seen the sedan which accounts for a large percentage of civic sales. It could be more "plain"/less "aggressive". We'll see

http://www.*************/auto-news/2015/04/don-t-hold-your-breath-for-the-civic-type-r.html

Honda has a recent history of ignoring fans who’ve been begging for performance models, but that’s about to change when the new Civic Type R arrives in the U.S. But exactly when is that?

The bad news is, it’s not soon.

After announcing at the New York Auto Show that the new Type R would in fact come to the U.S., American Honda Motor Co. Executive Vice President John Mendel confirmed during a round-table discussion that it won’t be a 2016 model.

Will it be a 2017? “It could be an ’18 by the time it gets here,” admitted Mendel, though he said he hopes not.

“You can’t say we never listen. We almost never listen,” joked Mendel.

Rumors have suggested that the US-spec Civic Type R could be different car from the European one. That seems unlikely, especially as Honda has confirmed the European-market Civic 5-door hatchback (the basis for the Type R) is already headed to our shores.

Honda-Civic-Type-RWe put that question to Mendel and asked if the model that eventually makes its way to US shores will be significantly different from the European one. “No,” he said. “You’re looking at the same concept that the Civic Type R has always been.”

“As you go to global development processes, the differences from market to market in terms of crash and requirements start to converge,” said Mendel. “So you don’t have a vehicle developed for one market that doesn’t meet the standards of another market. As you are able to commonize all those things around the world, and a US-led development for this vehicle (the 2016 Honda Civic), we kind of spec’d through the higher standards.”

Pricing isn’t something Mendel was willing to discuss yet but he indicated that a major factor will have to do with the British Pound vs U.S. Dollar exchange rate at the time, with the new Type R being manufactured in the UK.

“I’d hope we could sell a couple thousand a month,” he said, promising not to put a cap on sales.

So I was trying to explain this whole thing of Type R and 10thGen Civic to my cousins this past weekend and ran into questions regarding what is what....

So the "white" hatch revealed in Geneva is going to be the Type R globally, right? The "green" car from the NY show is going to be the basis of the 10Gen Civic, right?

Back