Honda Factory Wheels 17x7 45mm offset

Maximus

Dallas
Hello All -

New to the forum, I just bought a set of Honda Factory Wheels for my wife's 2014 Civic sedan LX?? has hub caps. I ordered 215/45 17 tires for it but, the guy that was going to install the tires said that they were the wrong tires for this particular rim. He said that the speedo would be off if I put the 215/45 17 on the car. Is that true? I have seen several 2014 Honda civics with the same rim and tire size driving around. He recommended the 225/45 17 but I like the way the 215/45 17 tire looks. It is not as tall as the 225/45. Would it hurt the car to put on the 215/45/17?

Thanks..

Attachments

• honda_civic_touring_wheel_lg.jpg
    honda_civic_touring_wheel_lg.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 10
The 215/45 is going to be a little short and your speed/odometer will be off by -1.2%, which isn't a huge number. The 225/45 is a "better" tire size in terms of being closer to the stock diameter. The LX comes with 16" wheels and other models come with a 17" wheel. The "other" Civic that has the 215/45 tire, that car is calibrated at the factory to that size wheel and tire. You need to look at a tire size conversion calculator and use the stock tire size from your car to get the correct size.

That said, the tire will fit the rim just fine, you will just lose mileage and be going slower than your speedometer says you are. At 60mph you will only be going 59.3mph. It's doubtful that you will have that set of tires last long enough to make a huge impact on your odometer. Gas mileage will be slightly worse.

If you can return the tires without incurring any costs, I would advise you do so. If not, run the tires you have and don't worry about it too much. It's a small difference.

Thanks for the reply Nix! The only thing is, I bought the Rims and they can't be returned. they installer put one of the tires on the rim so it is considered used now. Would the Honda dealer be able to calibrate so that the speedo is correct? Anything else I would have to worry about like tranny with these tires and rims on the car?

Tranny will be fine. Honda doesn't have a way to alter the speedo for your tires. 1mph off at 60 isn't really bad.

If you've already had the tires mounted or would take a huge loss on returning them just run them. Its not going to hurt anything in the long run.

1mph off at 60 isn't really bad.
They've vastly improved their calibrations on the newer cars. My 97 with the factory sized tires was off by 3-4 mph at 65.

Back