Honda to cut US, Canada production by half due to flooding in Thailand

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Honda to cut US, Canada production by half due to flooding in Thailand

flood.sized.png

Parts shortages from three months of catastrophic flooding in Thailand have forced Honda to cut U.S. and Canadian factory production by 50 percent for the second time this year, the automaker said Monday.

The cuts, which come just as Honda was recovering from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan, will run from Wednesday at least through Nov. 10 as Honda tries to find alternate sources for microprocessors that are made in Thailand.

The flooding, which began in July and has forced many auto parts plants to close, also affected Toyota Motor Co., which cut overtime for production in North America through the end of this week.

Honda Motor Co.'s announcement comes the same day the Japanese automaker announced that its quarterly profit tumbled 56 percent, battered by the strong yen and production disruptions from the March tsunami disaster.

The automaker, which makes the Accord and Civic sedans, said Monday that net profit for the July-September fiscal second quarter fell to 60.4 billion yen ($788 million).

Quarterly sales sank 16.3 percent from a year earlier to 1.885 trillion yen ($24.6 billion), with sales in North America falling the most — 22.3 percent.

Flooding in Thailand, where Honda has parts suppliers and assembly lines, made it too difficult to forecast earnings for the full fiscal year through March 2012. A projection will be announced when it becomes available, the company said.

Honda also said it will stop all production in the U.S. and Canada on Nov. 11, and all Saturday overtime work will be canceled through November. Spokesman Ed Miller said it's too early to tell if there will be a repeat of model shortages that occurred during the summer and early fall due to parts shortages from the earthquake and tsunami.

The company also said in a statement that the December sale date for the 2012 version of the popular CR-V crossover vehicle could be delayed by several weeks. Honda says it will announce the sale date in the near future.

Last year, 87 percent of the Honda and Acura luxury vehicles sold in the U.S. were made in North America, the company said. Most of the parts are produced here, but a few critical electronic parts such as engine control modules come from Thailand and other countries, Honda said.

Miller said the company is trying to find other sources for the parts made in Thailand, but production of newer models such as the Civic compact and CR-V will be most affected by the parts shortages.

Honda said it will not lay off any workers at its U.S. and Canadian auto plants. The company has 21,000 U.S. factory workers and 10 U.S. and Canadian auto factories in Ohio, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana and Alliston, Ontario.

The Thailand floods began in late July and were fed by unusually heavy monsoon rains and a string of tropical storms. They have killed 381 people and affected more than a third of the country's provinces. The water has destroyed millions of acres (hectares) of crops and forced thousands of factories to close.

Officials said Monday they hoped seven submerged industrial estates would be running again in about three months. The parks house the factories of global companies including Honda, Toshiba and Western Digital.

• Staff
Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co Ltd apparently has no idea when the automotive production can resume.

Honda suspended production of its facility in Rojana Industrial Park, Ayutthaya, on Oct 4 as some component suppliers were flooded. On Oct 8, the facility was suspended on floods.

In a statement that provides the latest update on its operations in Thailand, the company said that other Honda plants in Asia have been making adjustments to production volume or suspending production due to the limited parts supply from Thailand. Honda operations in other regions also are being impacted by the limited parts supply from Thailand. Each operation is carefully examining the situation.

Meanwhile, it announced that the motorcycle and power products subsidiary, Thai Honda Manufacturing Co Ltd, will suspend production until November 4. The facility was spared from floods but motorcycle and power product product production was suspended on Oct 11 and Oct 6, respectively, due to parts supply disruptions.

"Concerning operations from today onward, Honda will make decisions while carefully monitoring the situation. Honda deeply regrets any inconvenience this may cause our customers, and request their understanding during these challenging times. Honda and its suppliers are devoting all our efforts to minimise the impact on our customers."

when do we think this will start affecting ordered cars, or cars in production?

• Staff
they're already saying the new 2012 CR-V will not be ready as projected ("delayed by 2 weeks") - but that could be really generous thinking. We'll see

I would guess there are many Honda managers who are sweating bullets right now - wondering how they are going to meet imposed deadlines. :(

when do we think this will start affecting ordered cars, or cars in production?
I've already been given a few "I dont know's" on already ordered units with build dates falling after Nov 10th. All they can tell us so far is that everything is on a day-by-day baisis.

/\ exactly how long after someone puts a deposit down does a build date come up?

The reason i ask is because i put a deposit down on an TW FB6 on the 18th of Oct and am wondering if this could potentially affect me.

/\ exactly how long after someone puts a deposit down does a build date come up?

The reason i ask is because i put a deposit down on an TW FB6 on the 18th of Oct and am wondering if this could potentially affect me.
While I am not 100% sure you should have a build date already. I've placed a few orders around that time that have build dates falling before the 10th, however, I also have a couple falling after the 10th as well. From what i am told certain colours are produced on certain days of the week (In the Alliston plant) for example Taffeta White and Urban Titanium Civic Sedans are produced on Fridays.

If you call the dealership where you placed your order they should be able to tell you your anticipated build date. Their sales manager will probably have, or have access to a build list.

All the best and I hope you get your car sooner than later (either way, its worth the wait)

While I am not 100% sure you should have a build date already. I've placed a few orders around that time that have build dates falling before the 10th, however, I also have a couple falling after the 10th as well. From what i am told certain colours are produced on certain days of the week (In the Alliston plant) for example Taffeta White and Urban Titanium Civic Sedans are produced on Fridays.

If you call the dealership where you placed your order they should be able to tell you your anticipated build date. Their sales manager will probably have, or have access to a build list.

All the best and I hope you get your car sooner than later (either way, its worth the wait)

wow. Really good to know. My buddy sold me the car, and my other buddy was the finance manager, but i never got that info. Ill definitely look into it.

Driving around in my 8th is great and all, but damnit do i want my 9th lol.

Thai Floodwaters Threaten Second Honda Factory

Thai floodwaters today will test barriers protecting two Bangkok industrial parks near the main international airport as a deluge that has swamped hundreds of factories over the past month courses through the capital.
A water mass north of Bangkok should reach Lat Krabang and Bang Chan industrial zones in the eastern part of the city, according to Jate Sopitpongstorn, a spokesman for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The estates include a factory operated by Honda Motor Co., which abandoned its full-year profit forecast last week after another factory was flooded.
“The water will be there for sure,” Jate said by phone yesterday. “Lat Krabang has a high potential for flooding, but we hope the protection we put inside, 3 meters high, can protect and hold the water.”

Honda CFO: "To Put It Bluntly, We're In A Really Tough Spot

Among Japanese automakers, Honda has been hit the hardest by both disasters this year, recovering slowly from the supply disruption in northeast Japan and suffering direct damage at its Thai car factory in the Ayutthaya industrial estate...

...Even before the floods, the dearth of cars had sunk Honda's sales in the United States, its biggest market, ranking it below Nissan Motor Co in the last three months.

"To put it bluntly, we're in a really tough spot," said Fumihiko Ike, Honda's chief financial officer. "We're in a much more difficult position because our car factory is inundated...

Honda Malaysia Responds To Thailand Floods

Honda Motor Co said production at its plants in Canada and the United States would face further disruption over the next few weeks due to a shortage of parts from flood-hit Thai suppliers. Honda, which withdrew its annual earnings forecast late last month citing uncertainty in currency markets and the Thai floods, said it expects to make adjustments in output at all of its six plants in North America.

Thailand's worst floods in 50 years have affected hundreds of manufacturers. About one-tenth, or 35 of Honda's tier-one suppliers for cars in Thailand, have been flooded, causing production disruptions across Southeast Asia, Japan and the United States. Late last month, Japan's third-biggest automaker had said its North American production would be half of its original plan from November 2 through November 10.

In a statement on Tuesday, Honda said some plants would produce at rates above the previously announced levels through November 25 in Canada and through November 23 in the United States. However, Honda said it had made significant progress in finding alternative manufacturing facilities and new suppliers for parts. The company, known for its popular Civic and Accord models, said the 2012 Honda CR-V crossover will be launched before the end of this year. It had earlier said the sale date may be delayed by several weeks.

are you still working in one of the plants? - What's the company morale like there right now with so many things going on?

Hopefully people are still in good spirits because we know Honda hasn't had the best luck as of late, from production problems to the reception of the new Civic.

Statement by Honda Canada
November 14, 2011
Update #2: Impact of Thailand Flooding on Honda’s Automobile Operations in North America.
Production Adjustments Continue

Due to continued flooding in Thailand, a number of Honda suppliers have been unable to maintain the supply of parts to Honda. As a result, Honda will continue managing the parts supply in North America by taking the following actions:
  • Honda will continue temporary production adjustments at all six Honda auto plants in Canada and the U.S.
  • Auto production rates will vary from plant to plant, but some plants will produce at rates above the previously announced 50 percent of the original plan through Nov. 30.
  • All plants in Canada and the U.S. are expected to produce at normal levels on Dec. 1 and 2. Production plans after Dec. 2 will be announced in the future.

In 2010, 92 percent of the Honda and Acura automobiles sold in Canada were produced in North America. While most of parts and materials used to produce these products are purchased from North American suppliers, a few critical electronic parts are sourced from Thailand and other regions of the world. Honda is working closely with its suppliers in Thailand and throughout its global network to reestablish the flow of parts for the products made in North America.

Honda remains focused on minimizing the impact to its associates and their families and plans no layoffs at any of its North American facilities. Non-production days will continue to be treated as “no pay, no penalty,” meaning Honda associates can report to work, use a vacation day, or take the day off without compensation or penalty.

Honda deeply regrets any inconvenience this may cause to its customers.

Back