Honda's Head Of R&D Interested In Joining F1

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Head Of Honda R&D Interested In F1
hondaf1return.jpg

Speaking for himself and not the company, head of Honda Research and Development, Yoshiharu Yamamoto, told Autocar that when it comes to Formula One, "We do look up at those races and hope that one day we can take part again." In order for that one day to occur, a few things would need to happen: the rules would need to change and Honda would need to prove itself capable of winning in the World Touring Car Championship. Neither one is assured.

The new rules Yamamoto is thought to be referring to are the F1 engine regulations coming into force in 2014 – the sport will swap 2.4-liter V8s for 1.6-liter, turbocharged V6s. Honda has developed a 1.6-liter four-cylinder for its new entrant in the WTCC, and it's speculated that a 1.6-liter turbo four will fill the engine bay of the coming Honda Civic Type R. As with a similar on-again off-again flirtation with F1 by Volkswagen, the move to an engine spec closer to that for road cars could be one of the prime tipping points Honda needs.
Honda_Turbo_Civic_1.jpg

However, Bernie Ecclestone, Ferrari and even Grand Prix promoters are now fighting the introduction of those V6s because, among other things, the say the engines "sounded terrible." On top of that, Honda's return assumes the company can strut its stuff in touring cars, Yamamoto telling Autocar, "I feel the first thing we must do is win in the WTCC, and then perhaps we can look further afield."

Over the past 48 years Honda has done three stints in Formula 1. In spite of its many successes –McLaren-Honda, anyone? – many look at the Japanese company's last exit in 2008 as an ignominious end to a nine-year stretch that also included the whimpering close of the BAR Honda team and the best days of Jacques Villeneuve's noteworthy F1 career. That's not exactly true, though: Honda got out at the end of 2008 and helped Ross Brawn with a management buyout to form Brawn GP in early 2009, then Jensen Button used the car Honda had just finished developing to dominate the 2009 World Championship. We, for one, would be happy to see them back.

You have to read the FIA press releases with one thing in mind. That all this is only press material to make people believe some things they want them to. So if they say the engines sound terrible - Would you seriously believe them??? :) :)
1. the costs of the building is too high
2. Ferrari or some other big guy is not on schedule with the building of the engine and wants to delay all that.

It would be nice to see them back in real the business. For now I've heard they want to debut the car in october. In october there's only one race and this race is on the Suzuka racetrack (WOOOWWWW :) )
http://www.fiawtcc.com/events

----------------------
SEAT AND BMW CARS PUT ON WEIGHT The Chevrolet Cruze remains the heaviest car according to the calculation based on the lap times set in the three previous events (Portugal, Brazil and USA) and will be laden once again with the maximum 40kg ballast.
SEAT León and BMW 320 TC will carry more weight compared to the previous event at Sonoma. The SEAT cars had their weight increased by 30 kilos, meaning that they will be only 10 kilos lighter than the Chevrolet. The BMW’s weight was put up by 10 kilos, therefore the German cars will benefit from a 10kg reduction of their minimum weight against the 20 kilos of the Ford Focus and SUNRED León 1.6T.
The new Honda Civic will carry no ballast on its first outing in the championship.

Compensation weight Suzuka+ 40 kg : Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T
+ 30 kg : SEAT León WTCC
± 0 kg : Honda Civic S2000
- 10 kg : BMW 320 TC
- 20 kg : Ford Focus S2000, SUNRED León 1.6T (+20 kg, decision #40 TCC)

----------------------

Rewind back to 2008 when honda basically sold their entire F1 operation to Ross Braun for pennies.. this was due to the world financial crisis . So lets see every other F1 team sponsored up and rode it out. Honda being conservative as they are should of swallowed some pride and taken on sponsors that season by the way a winning season and ran with it. Now to get back into F1 if they do will cost them hundreds of millions unless they wait for Force India to go on the chopping block.

Peter: I'm almost sure they wouldn't come in F1 as a constructor/owner but only as a constructor of engines.

Kenny: S2000 is not only a Honda model ;)

...and the worst move for Honda who even didn't want to supply costumer engines so that they had to adjust the chassis by sawing a part off to accomodate the bigger Merc engine :) :)

Peter: I'm almost sure they wouldn't come in F1 as a constructor/owner but only as a constructor of engines.

Kenny: S2000 is not only a Honda model ;)
Don't be so sure. Plus did you read that the owner of force india is in real trouble? This might be Honda's chance to get back in

Vijay is a smart man. The arrest warrant was issued to him because the c.e.o.-s of Kingfisher failed to show for a trial on some things (the company is in big financial trouble) so they issued a warrant for the owner. It would be nice Honda coming back in the team previously known as Jordan but in my opinion this and the next year is the worst year to be "coming back". Why? Because the next year will be the last year with those engines and for 2014 all teams will have to build totally new cars from scratch to be produced around much smaller engine units. If somebody would remember: Williams fell on a thing like that when there was the passage from 200cm wide cars to 180cm wide cars in 1998 so they just shrank the car which resulted in a catastrophic season for the defending champion - Jacques Villeneuve. (Patrick) Head years later admitted the mistake. So there's no sense coming back + I think the subscriptions for the next season are over + Honda officially said it would firstly focus on WTCC. There are actually 2 racetracks which are around 300 miles from my home (Monza, Hungaroring) and I want to see the Hondas racing again :) :) :) . The last WTCC race I went to it was Monza some 5 years ago :(

Btw: the 1989 Ayrton's McLaren avatar rules ;)

Vijay is a smart man. The arrest warrant was issued to him because the c.e.o.-s of Kingfisher failed to show for a trial on some things (the company is in big financial trouble) so they issued a warrant for the owner. It would be nice Honda coming back in the team previously known as Jordan but in my opinion this and the next year is the worst year to be "coming back". Why? Because the next year will be the last year with those engines and for 2014 all teams will have to build totally new cars from scratch to be produced around much smaller engine units. If somebody would remember: Williams fell on a thing like that when there was the passage from 200cm wide cars to 180cm wide cars in 1998 so they just shrank the car which resulted in a catastrophic season for the defending champion - Jacques Villeneuve. (Patrick) Head years later admitted the mistake. So there's no sense coming back + I think the subscriptions for the next season are over + Honda officially said it would firstly focus on WTCC. There are actually 2 racetracks which are around 300 miles from my home (Monza, Hungaroring) and I want to see the Hondas racing again :) :) :) . The last WTCC race I went to it was Monza some 5 years ago :(

Btw: the 1989 Ayrton's McLaren avatar rules ;)
Very well said. I envy you being so close to 2 great F1 venues.. let's see how the engine formula works out for 2014. So far it will be Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault..........

i know that there has been alot of work started, and alot of money already spent on the new V6 engine and the regulations are in place for 2014 but so far nothing is set in stone as long as Bernie don't like the sound of a V6.

Bernie is getting old ;) haha :) Right now the F1 cars are very loud. I didn't imagine how loud are they till I went to see it in person. When passing by you have to scream to your neighbour's ear if you want to be heard :) I'm curious what Cosworth is going to do.

About the circuits. As a motorracing fan I feel blessed :) In the 300 or less miles from me there are other circuits (Imola (F1), Mugello (Motogp), Misano (Motogp, superbike), Adria, A1 ring (F1)...). It's a shame F1 dropped Imola because the athmosphere there was just something special.

Peter: F1 will be racing in your courtyard next year ;) ;) Who can beat that!!! :) :)

Yes earnhardt F1 will be in NJ about 60 miles from where I live. It will be a very exciting time for F1 fans on the east coast. I hope they really pull it off and thing do not go sour here.

Engine sound wise F1 for me is all about performance and the art of it. Any high performance engine has its charm, or at least all of the ones I heard have it.

Mp4 / 4 had a Honda engine. I would really be thrilled to see Honda back on the F1 show. I really miss them :)
I was fortunate to see and hear Mclaren Hondas in Phoenix and Canada on a few occasions. The song from those F1 engines was just unmatched. I cannot imagine a v6 turbo small will make an impression close to the engines of the past.

Back