DIY Horn Replacement

Hi All, I know it's been a while since this thread had a post, but I've read through the whole thing an have two question. I have a 2014 Honda Civic EX, please let me know the following:

Do I have 1 horn or 2 horns? I would prefer not to take off the entire bumper if I don't need to so is there any way to take a peek for that 2nd horn?

Thank you.

If there is a second horn, it would be behind the fog light housing, if you have fog lights, on the driver side. I'm not sure if there is any other way to look if you don't have that access hole in the lower grill. But honestly the bumper is not that hard to take off. Two screws under the fender by the front tires, one on each side, two 10mm bolts and 8 bumper clips underneath and four clips for the radiator shroud. At least on the Si, which should be the same except maybe the radiator shroud.You dont even have to jack the car up to do any of it.

Last edited:
Ordered the Hella Supertones. Planning to mod them with custom brackets for fitment behind the grill, when they arrive. We shall see

Ordered the Hella Supertones. Planning to mod them with custom brackets for fitment behind the grill, when they arrive. We shall see
That's what I did.
20150518_134137.jpg
I guess I never took a picture of the actual bracket and horns before I put the bumper back on.
If you have any questions, let me know.

Honestly the supertones are high pitched and annoying af... take a look at some youtube videos comparing the supertones vs the twin trumpets you'll see what I mean.

Nice looks good, will do! Did you just tap into the existing wires and reroute them? Also if you remember, did you mount them together or on separate supports ?
I did tap into the existing wires. It was kind of a headache to figure out at first since I had two wires to tap and only one was needed for power to the new Hellas. They are mounted on one support. I attached it to radiator support beam.
20161025_120657.jpg
This is the only pic I have of the actual support bracket, just disregard the damage.

Honestly the supertones are high pitched and annoying af... take a look at some youtube videos comparing the supertones vs the twin trumpets you'll see what I mean.
The Hellas are a little high pitched but they work very well. They are designed for highway travel so you can hear them at greater speeds. I have no experience with the trumpets so I am not saying they are better or worse but from personal experience, I have been able to avoid a few accidents now because of how loud they are.

If I only have 1 horn, will the accord horn swap have any noticeable benefit when replacing just the high horn?

Will i also need any additional brackets/ screws? This is the item I ordered off amazon
amazon.com/gp/product/B00G0OIKZC

If I only have 1 horn, will the accord horn swap have any noticeable benefit when replacing just the high horn?

Will i also need any additional brackets/ screws? This is the item I ordered off amazon
amazon.com/gp/product/B00G0OIKZC
The tone and sound definitely changes with the accord horn (for the better). That’s all you need.

The tone and sound definitely changes with the accord horn (for the better). That’s all you need.

Thanks!

Found out I will need to dremel some of my 2012 grill (top plastic portion doesnt detach like the 2014-2015 grills) but I was able to test out the sound. Definitely sounds better and although its hard to tell from the video, its also louder. Very happy with the decision despite only changing 1 high horn.

stock horn

View: https://streamable.com/oghxv8

new accord horn

View: https://streamable.com/40e54y

Thanks!

Found out I will need to dremel some of my 2012 grill (top plastic portion doesnt detach like the 2014-2015 grills) but I was able to test out the sound. Definitely sounds better and although its hard to tell from the video, its also louder. Very happy with the decision despite only changing 1 high horn.

Spoke too soon! If your car only has 1 horn, you NEED both the low and high. I thought I could get away with replacing my single horn with a high horn, but I later found out while it sounded very loud up close, I could barely hear the horn when at a distance. Maybe getting a low may have been better? .. im not sure..

but for now, I will switch back to my stock horn.

Back