How do you shift into 2nd?

maark808

So I have a problem when I'm at a stop light and there is a car behind me, I usually shift into second at 2,500 rpm but since OUR hondas have rev hang it takes a little while to get it into second and the car behind me usually looks pissed because they have to slow down or sometimes they would honk at me Lol. So how would you guys start from a red light?

If you're trying to accelerate from a stop, 2500 in 1st is just low.

Well, the higher you run the rpm, the more power you'll have shifting into the next gear. Being at 2500 in 2nd will give you better acceleration than being at 1k rpm in 2nd. Ever try riding a bike in the highest gear from a start? It's a lot easier to get moving in the lowest.

I tend to shift at 3,000 to 3,500 for all gears if I am driving casually. Usually around 3,500 for first gear since it is so short. I have found that the car really likes to shift around 4,000 though.

Exactly the same as me. When I first got the car I was shifting at just over 2,000 which just didn't work. Not only did it not work, I felt about 20 years older than I am. This car needs higher RPMs.

Exactly the same as me. When I first got the car I was shifting at just over 2,000 which just didn't work. Not only did it not work, I felt about 20 years older than I am. This car needs higher RPMs.

What I meant was that it shifts better at high RPMs. At a 7,000 redline, it has plenty high RPMs.

3-4 thousand rpms.... It's a high revving 4 cylinder so let it rev...

Seeing as how I have my dash torn apart right now, I have been doing nothing but listening to it rev since the weekend. Un/fortunately, it makes me really want to listen to the high revs.

Shifting at low RPMs it is more likely you will rub the syncros a bit (notchy feeling) plus the car will be kind of slow. Regular driving I do 2.8 shifting or more unless going for the redline on each shift. Sadly the redline approach takes me way out legal speeds way too fast.

Anything under 2k on this car I feel the transmission starting to not like it.

Shifting at low RPMs it is more likely you will rub the syncros a bit (notchy feeling) plus the car will be kind of slow. Regular driving I do 2.8 shifting or more unless going for the redline on each shift. Sadly the redline approach takes me way out legal speeds way too fast.

Anything under 2k on this car I feel the transmission starting to not like it.

The Si has six gears, but can only legally use three when redlining. :(

Some roads are 80 kmh or highway ramps give you more opportunity but all in all yeah. They should have made it a 4 gear car and call it the city version ;)

You know, I went from a motorcycle with five gears to one with a wide ratio four gear setup and absolutely hated it. ALWAYS looking for another gear. Of course when I came to the Si from a 7th gen LX manual, I always forgot I now had a sixth gear after complaining for years that my 7th gen needed a sixth.

Last edited:
You know, I went from a motorcycle with five gears to one with a wide ratio four gear setup and absolutely hated it. ALWAYS looking for another gear. Of course when I came to the Si from a 7th gen LX manual, I always forgot I now had a sixth gear after complaining for years that my 7th gen needed a sixth.
Agreed. I would need a 7th gear for high speeds on highway but that is too fast anyways. My other 5 gear car on highway at 120 (Km) it is obvious why a sixth would be needed.

I shift at around 4k at every gear unless having fun. Just seems to be what it likes. A whole lot smoother.

Last edited:
Back