How to readjust hand brake?

BJJ

Los Angles
Vehicle Model
Honda
Body Style
DBP FB2
My handbrake feels a little less resistant compared to when I first bought my FB2. Any diys to readjust the handbrake??

thanks

The handbrake is mechanically linked to the rear brakes (it looks like you have an ex sedan). As the rear pads wear, so does the effectiveness of your handbrake. There should be an adjustment hidden underneath the center console, however it probably isn't worth messing with it, as the mechanical linkages themselves are self adjusting.

Last edited:
The handbrake is mechanically linked to the rear brakes (it looks like you have an ex sedan). As the rear pads wear, so does the effectiveness of your handbrake. There should be an adjustment hidden underneath the center console, however it probably isn't worth messing with it, as the mechanical linkages themselves are self adjusting.

ok thanks

If your car isn't holding on an incline or whatever, take it in to honda.

the handbrake holds up on an incline, just when i move inside the car, it makes a low squeaking sound.

maybe for a major service, i will drop off it and readjusting the handbrake was one of the items to check and adjust.

Can't we get to it from under the car? I'm just asking, every other car I've had could be adjusted from underneath.... Also didn't know mechanical linkages were self adjusting.??????

Can't we get to it from under the car? I'm just asking, every other car I've had could be adjusted from underneath.... Also didn't know mechanical linkages were self adjusting.??????
There are two locations of hand brake adjustment. If it is like the 1999 CR-V i did this on, there is an adjustable screw attached to the back of the handbrake (this is a manual adjustment) (need to remove the shroud to access from inside cabin), tighten for more response, loosen for less response.
The second place is on the rear brakes themselves: For DX/LX(HF,CNG?) models the drum brake features a self adjusting "star wheel" that adjusts every application of the handbrake. For EX/Si the rear caliper features a system built in to the piston assembly that pushes out as the pads are applied.

Last edited:
DMS24
For EX/Si the rear caliper features a system built in to the piston assembly that pushes out as the pads are applied.

Cool... didn't know that.

I think with my older drum rear brakes , it was more the cable that stretched and needed adjustment, I for got about the star adjustment.... been so long.
Thx for the info.

So if I want to adjust the cable on my ex , I'll need to go from inside the cab.

For the coupe: (sedan similar)
car.PNG
Monk

Not sure which screw it will be in this case, but it will be obvious when have everything apart. I'm thinking it is either 4, 5, 6, 9, or screw 16 that is the adjusting one.

Last edited:
Thx , it should be easy to figure out....... What I don't know is how to get the plastics off, never had so much plastic to work around before.

Thx , it should be easy to figure out....... What I don't know is how to get the plastics off, never had so much plastic to work around before.

This should help.
car 2.PNG
Remove part 15 for automatic, part 11 for a manual. I just use the smooth blade on my Victorinox to gently pry away parts (plastic trim tools are better choice though).

Thx...... You wouldn't know where I could get a trim tool ? I went to my dealer and the parts guy didn't even know what it was, and after I 'splaned him, he said he didn't sell those...Daaaaa ....The one tool we need to excess anything.

Last edited:
Back