Howl Noise When Taking a U-Turn and Accelerating a Little

Discussion in 'Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat' started by Only Human, May 15, 2017.

1. Only Human

Only Human Active Member

' 14 Civic Si @ 32k miles.

When taking a U-turn, with steering wheel at or near full-lock, while in second gear, and accelerating a little, I get a howling noise from the front of the car.

Sound is similar to that of a hydraulic power steering at full lock, but it only happens when as described above. It does not happen when turning without accelerating. It also doesn't happen when accelerating hard.

The howl is like a differential or bearing noise.

Has anybody noticed this sound when for example taking a U-turn and you're being rather quick than a gentle turn?

Or could somebody please test this out?

Thank you very much!

2. Redrocket1

Redrocket1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    My guess is that your limited slip differential was doing its job. I found this video which explains how they work:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeLm7wHvdxQ

But it looks to me like the friction discs in one of the clutch packs were slipping, as they are supposed to, and maybe made a noise because they're breaking in.

3. Only Human

Only Human Active Member

Thank you for following up Redrocket1. That's what I was imagining and hoping too, but after your post, I looked more into what "helical limited slip differential" is and unfortunately, it is an all-gears based system than a clutch based system.

I must have a noisy gear somewhere unfortunately. Have you noticed such a howl ever at all?

4. webby
    • Staff
    • 2016 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

If you can replicate the sound all of the time I'd take it to Honda and show them the noise on a test drive. You're under warranty so it'd be free.

5. Only Human

Only Human Active Member

Yeah, it is fairly consistent but variables need to be pretty spot on (light acceleration, little less than full-lock).. I got an appointment on Friday.

I keep my car in pristine condition. I hate that this is happening.

6. Only Human

Only Human Active Member

So yeah, the dealer didn't hear anything. I don't blame them too much because once the car is hot and it's hot outside, you can't really tell the noise is there if you don't know what you are listening for. But in the mornings in cooler weather, even with the car warm, it's 10 times more prominent and very obvious to hear. I made another appointment for Tuesday morning of next week to try replicate it myself.

I do blame them though for making me sit and wait 1.5 hours without saying anything first.

7. webby
    • Staff
    • 2016 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

You own a GoPro, or can you get someone to ride with you and record it on video from even a cell phone?