I can't get comfortable..

Fast4life

Hey guys,

I'm 5'10'' and 165lbs. No matter what I do I can't seem to find a comfortable driving position. I'm either too close, too low, or just not comfortable. Any suggestions?

Hey guys,

I'm 5'10'' and 165lbs. No matter what I do I can't seem to find a comfortable driving position. I'm either too close, too low, or just not comfortable. Any suggestions?

Have you tried adjusting the steering wheel as well as the seat?

Is the car a manual and contributing to the comfort issues? There may be some solutions for this.

Otherwise, if you do not adjust and get accustomed to the seat over time, there is only one solution. Find new seats or have some custom ones made.

fzc7s4.jpg

Seriously though, are you having specific parts with discomfort (lower back, shoulders, etc.), maybe a pad/pillow for the lower lumbar?

+1 for this!!! I just came back from a 600 mile round trip and those were my exact thoughts. Couldn't find a combo that didn't make me fidget within an hour. Never had this problem in my 8th or my RSX. Plus, I'm 6'1" and if I have my hair geled, my head rubs the roof line if I don't lower the seat to the stops. Kinda irritating...

The only thing that seems to be unfixable to me is the tilt in the part of the seat that we sit on. I have the seat as low as it will go and my legs rest on the frt edge of the seat. If the seat were able to tilt foward, it would take the pressure off my leg.(I'm 6 ft, normal length legs).
As far as what the car can do, is the seat can be pumped up or down and the backrest can be adjusted. The steering wheel can be moved in & out, & up or down.
As for mine, I'm thinking maybe something on the dead pedal to bring my leg back a little till I don't feel the pressure on my leg.

I had this issue for a bit too, but I'm shorter. I'm 5'6", 130lbs and I always felt I was too close or too low.

The slant is very different and now that I drive a manual, I have to be able to comfortably use the clutch (whereas I was way far back in my old AT Subaru). I pulled my seat as far back as I could while still being able to fully depress the clutch, pushed my wheel inward all the way and up a bit, and it's fine now. The only thing is that on long trips my butt gets sore after 1.5 hours which never happened in the Suby- maybe I'll try raising the seat so the back more closely matches the angle at the front of the seat.

I have had the opposite feeling in the test drives I've had in the 9th gens. My thighs are not supported at all by the seat. I intend to make some adjustments to the seat brackets to raise the front part of the seat up a bit to support my legs. but I'm 6'4" and about 200lbs. I'm waiting for my dealer to get a '13 Si Sedan hoping they'd have a power seat with a tilt function, but no such luck...

I have had the opposite feeling in the test drives I've had in the 9th gens. My thighs are not supported at all by the seat. I intend to make some adjustments to the seat brackets to raise the front part of the seat up a bit to support my legs. but I'm 6'4" and about 200lbs. I'm waiting for my dealer to get a '13 Si Sedan hoping they'd have a power seat with a tilt function, but no such luck...
6'4".... Does your head not hit the roof in the civic?

I'm 5'8 with a bit of a long torso/short legs combo. I've never been able to get 100% comfortable in my Si coupe. Unless I recline the seat back to a point I'm no longer comfortable, or scrunch down in the seat, my head touches the head liner. Due to the shape/angle of the coupe roof, the further forward you slide the seat, the more headroom you have. No matter what I do, either my head hits, or my feet are too close to the pedals, or I have to reach too far to shift into 5th gear. Every time I fix one issue by adjusting the seat, it causes another.

Very irritating. The best compromise seems to be the scrunching down method....get the seat adjusted so that my foot reach to the pedals is perfect, and my reach to the shifter is good. At this point my head will be hard against the head liner, but then I scoot my but forward a bit, and that brings me lower in the seat so I'm not touching it anymore. Probably not good for my back though. It's weird. Never had this issue in any other car I've ever owned and that's a long list. I've kind of been regretting not getting a sedan since shortly after getting the car.

I'm 5'10 212lbs CUT!...lol well not cut but stocky. The only way i could get the seat to where I was comfortable was to slide it back to wear my legs were comfortable and then tilted the seat back to wear my back was good then I just tilted the steering wheel then pulled it all the way out so my arms could reach without having to have them straight out. Now I've got no issues at all. Oh but like zulu said if I'm not lazy and i actually brush my hair instead of wearing a hat I can just feel the tip of my hair brushing the ceiling which means it's time for a hair cut again ;P

my problem is the arm rest on the door. the rest with the window buttons is to low.. every other car i had i always put my elbow at the bottom of the actual window its to high on this one even with the seat jacked up.... short and fat kid problems and now that twinkies are gone there is nothing to comfort me

+1 for this!!! I just came back from a 600 mile round trip and those were my exact thoughts. Couldn't find a combo that didn't make me fidget within an hour. Never had this problem in my 8th or my RSX. Plus, I'm 6'1" and if I have my hair geled, my head rubs the roof line if I don't lower the seat to the stops. Kinda irritating...

I had that problem in my 8th EX, now that I have an LX i have a few more inches head room due the lack of a sunroof. I like it.

The only thing that seems to be unfixable to me is the tilt in the part of the seat that we sit on. I have the seat as low as it will go and my legs rest on the frt edge of the seat. If the seat were able to tilt foward, it would take the pressure off my leg.(I'm 6 ft, normal length legs).
As far as what the car can do, is the seat can be pumped up or down and the backrest can be adjusted. The steering wheel can be moved in & out, & up or down.
As for mine, I'm thinking maybe something on the dead pedal to bring my leg back a little till I don't feel the pressure on my leg.

I think that part of the seat is adjustable on the power seats in the EX L model. Maybe a swap in can be done?

I would add a few washers under the rear mounts, the stock bolts should be long enough. If not, you can get longer metric body bolts at a bodyshop supply house. Of course, if you know anyone with a lathe, they could whittle you up some nice spacers as well.

Back