I need help deciding what DSLR to get!

Chief Alabaster

Orange County, California
Vehicle Model
EX-L
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys im currently selling my Nikon D40 which was a great camera to get me interested in photography and my birthday is coming up April 19th so im looking for a good DLSR camera that can take really good action shots/ still shots AND it needs to take very good quality HD video. My price range is from $700-1500 so I was wondering if you guys/girls have any suggestions. So far I have been suguested the Canon rebel T4i and the Canon 7D. Any opinions? I would love to have anyone's input!

Do you have lenses from the Nikon? They will not transfer over to the canon side. Something to consider unless you aren't saving any previous gear.

ethlar just picked up a 7d not long ago. I believe he had a canon 40d prior to that. Maybe he can give you input on the good/bad. I know dentrecords is big on the nikon side of things. They both offer some great cameras and great lenses. I'd go to a camera shop and see what you think of both in your hand. Especially since you've been with nikon,... the canon menus & buttons may feel foreign to you. You may be able to step into a nikon upgrade easier?

though the 7d is just outside your upper limit, since the body only price comes in at 1500, but it definitely wont disappoint you. It does everything youre looking for and has a faster burst rate than the T4i. Just out of curiosity, why is your canon list the T4i and 7d but not the 60d?

as webby said, since you had a nikon it may be easier to get another nikon just out of familiarity with the equipment unless that was part of why you are currently selling your nikon.

My usual camera shopping advice is when you compare the equivalent canons and nikons and you dont have a stockpile of lenses for either, its really a matter of which feels more comfortable in your hands. Best buy is a ok plate to look but really you want to go to a camera shop whos gonna hand you the camera without a security bracket so you can really get a feel for it.

I concur with Ethlar. If you only have a kit lens with the D40, don't feel restricted to just Nikon... If you had more lenses though, it generally makes sense to stay with the same brand. I'm definitely tied into the Nikon system and don't have any regrets, but I would have to take a hard look at Canon too if I was new to the game. Both companies are pretty great for what they offer... I would have to give a slight edge to Nikon for their lens quality though :)

I just bought my first dslr. I went with the canon T4i. I was debating between the nikon 5200 and this. I have hear that canon shoots better video, which is a big advantage to me. Personally I wanted some of the features from the nikon, but I'm very happy with my T4i purchase. Best buy has them on sale currently at $680, (usually $900) and they are also doing half off an additional lens, I picked up a 55-250 for $150. I've only shot a few photos in my yard so far (I litererly just bought it 2 hours ago) and I am very pleased. The touch screen is a nice feature as well for someone not used to the controls.

congrats on your purchase... now it's time for a civic photo shoot! :D

Thanks, I'm looking forward to shooting cars at the meets. I still need to buy a computer and photoshop so I can edit and upload. Next payday hopefully!

Back