Imid iPod song info. ?

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
I would like to have song info scroll on my iPod when it's plugged in. I have downloaded a couple free Apps that do the job really well (ScrollSong and DockScroll). These apps work for the first song, but then when the first song is over and the next one starts playing both of these Apps either keep the original song info. or read blank. Anyone have an explanation to this?

Also, if I'm playing music with the iPod turned off and then hit one of the buttons, I can see the album art and song info on my Ipod, but then the screen goes blank again unless I unlock it by sliding the lock thing on the screen. Once I slide that and open the iPod then I lose the album art and song info. :banghead:

Final question, why am I able to see my album art and song info when my IPod is docked into any other system, but when connected to the Civic's USB slot I can't open the my music. It gives me a blank screen with a message telling me that my "device is connected" so I can't access my music on the iPod.

This is really frustrating. What is everyone else doing about this? Anybody have any ideas, suggestions?????

I don't have a manual handy, but found this in a press statement.
USB Audio Interface

A USB Audio Interface is located in the center console of all models, with the exception of Civic DX. It can read flash drives and compatible digital music devices, such as iPods, that contain MP3 or WMA music files. It is important to note that only the iPod video, iPod nano and other 5th-generation or later iPods are compatible with this system. The iPod shuffle, mini, and older iPod models are not compatible. When an iPod is connected, the Honda logo will appear on the screen of the compatible iPod showing it is ready for use. The iPod or flash drive can then be controlled using the steering wheel-mounted or radio controls. Information such as song title, artist, album art and other information will appear on the Civic's LCD screen. The system will also charge the iPod while it is connected.

^ this is not what you experience...correct? iPod model maybe the cause?

I don't have a manual handy, but found this in a press statement.

^ this is not what you experience...correct? iPod model maybe the cause?
Ya, I get all that showing on the Imid screen, but it won't show on my iPod screen at the same time. Its crazy. I can play games on my iPod while the music is playing and the song info is on the imid screen. I can also have a screen saver going on my iPod or a photo sideshow going at the same time imid is showing sing info etc. I can see all my screens on my iPod and shuffle through my apps.....the only thing it won't show is my music and song info.....which seems like it would be the easiest thing to show. The imid seems to disengage the iPod and "takeover" rendering the music controls on the iPod unusable.

Last edited:
So you can't pick a song on the iPod (via the ipod) once it's connected by USB? You only have steerig wheel controls? I don't have a way to test it or I would. I've been in other Honda vehicles, (not 9ths) where people could control music through their ipones connected by USB. Maybe others can chime in.

Using my 3rd gen Nano in my civic, I notice it does the same thing, the 'H' logo comes up and disables the button functions. All actions are done through the i-mid, not unlike any other system I've plugged it into.

Power down the iPod and restart and it will be fine fine.it happens to me about every 30 days of use like clockwork.

Power down the iPod and restart and it will be fine fine.it happens to me about every 30 days of use like clockwork.
Are you saying that you can see your music on your Ipod when it's hooked up to Imid?

Using my 3rd gen Nano in my civic, I notice it does the same thing, the 'H' logo comes up and disables the button functions. All actions are done through the i-mid, not unlike any other system I've plugged it into.
Ya, that's what I figured....everybody is probably having the same problem. It's just the way Honda has it set up......sucks. :cornmad: ^^^This is not the case if I plug my Ipod into my Bose Sound Dock or my alarm clock sound dock etc. etc. On all of these docks I can scroll through my music, see all album art etc. or use the ScrollSong and DockScroll Apps without any problem at all.

Interesting how my Ipod 4 does not show the Honda logo when plugged in. At least I can use other Apps at the same time (show pics, put a screen saver). Well, I can use all my other apps except for any app that links to music.

Yea I can see mine,it does freeze up too.i have a classic 160 gig bought along time ago.

I wish it sounded better,some sound great some sound like ***.

Yea I can see mine,it does freeze up too.i have a classic 160 gig bought along time ago.
Wow, you're lucky. Now, I'm wondering why yours would show song info and album art while hooked up to Imid and not ours.... ????

BTW, the reason I would like to have this option is because I would prefer to have a wallpaper on my Imid and the song info, with larger album art, on my IPod.

Ya, I get all that showing on the Imid screen, but it won't show on my iPod screen at the same time. Its crazy. I can play games on my iPod while the music is playing and the song info is on the imid screen. I can also have a screen saver going on my iPod or a photo sideshow going at the same time imid is showing sing info etc. I can see all my screens on my iPod and shuffle through my apps.....the only thing it won't show is my music and song info.....which seems like it would be the easiest thing to show. The imid seems to disengage the iPod and "takeover" rendering the music controls on the iPod unusable.

This is perfectly normal behavior, the issue is partially Honda and partially Apple. This is simply how iOS works in docked mode. Per the communications protocol, the Honda unit identifies itself as a dock and the iPhone/iPod touch goes into dock mode, another type of docked mode is called App control, which lets you stay docked, but lets the app control the sound output (as opposed to the default behavior, your head unit controlling the output), this isn't something you can toggle on the iOS device, its something you need to toggle on the head unit, I'll have to look thru the settings again, I don't remember you being able to toggle it. I usually start playing the audio from some alternative app then plug my phone into the car.

This is perfectly normal behavior, the issue is partially Honda and partially Apple. This is simply how iOS works in docked mode. Per the communications protocol, the Honda unit identifies itself as a dock and the iPhone/iPod touch goes into dock mode, another type of docked mode is called App control, which lets you stay docked, but lets the app control the sound output (as opposed to the default behavior, your head unit controlling the output), this isn't something you can toggle on the iOS device, its something you need to toggle on the head unit, I'll have to look thru the settings again, I don't remember you being able to toggle it. I usually start playing the audio from some alternative app then plug my phone into the car.
Thanks for info. I guess I knew all along that it was probably the same issue for everyone, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. You mentioned that you start your music in another App...have you been able to see the info. on your IPod when you do this?..If yes, which App are you using? The 2 apps I have been using (see above) only work for the first song then stop being able to read the song info. once the song has changed.

Last edited:
Thanks for info. I guess I knew all along that it was probably the same issue for everyone, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. You mentioned that you start your music in another App...have you been able to see the info. on your IPod when you do this?..If yes, which App are you using? The 2 apps I have been using (see above) only work for the first song then stop being able to read the song info. once the song has changed.
Nope, you're not going to see the info update, its a limitation of the software and the fact that you're not letting the app control . I've used it with di.fm/spotify. Eventually I give up, connect via bluetooth. It sucks not having the playing info display but I'm used to it now. Hopefully Honda releases an update to the unit and we'll get what we want.

For those who are jailbroken, I used to use NoAccessorySplash to get rid of that dumb [Insert Car Brand Here] logo that comes up upon connecting your device. There are also various other tweaks that let you have full control of your music while docked (and even integrate Now Playing for apps that aren't originally supported). It's a fantastic way to gain more control over your jailed iOS device but that is a conversation for another place. Point is, you are able to regain control with a jailbreak (in my experience) haven't tested what happens with the iMID screen though, I'm assuming it works like the old systems and still displays the current song, not go to a wallpaper as you wanted it to do.

For those who are jailbroken, I used to use NoAccessorySplash to get rid of that dumb [Insert Car Brand Here] logo that comes up upon connecting your device. There are also various other tweaks that let you have full control of your music while docked (and even integrate Now Playing for apps that aren't originally supported). It's a fantastic way to gain more control over your jailed iOS device but that is a conversation for another place. Point is, you are able to regain control with a jailbreak (in my experience) haven't tested what happens with the iMID screen though, I'm assuming it works like the old systems and still displays the current song, not go to a wallpaper as you wanted it to do.

Whoa!! This is exciting news. Could someone please test this theory that if an iPod is jail broken we might be able to see our music even when docked to the imid?! I have to be honest and say that I'm not overly optimistic. If someone can confirm this I will definitely be jail breaking my IPod.

All I want is to have my song info scrolling on my IPod so I can keep my wallpaper on the IMid screen.......why You make this so hard Honda??!!!

Last edited:
Back