Immobilizer/ block heater problem?

jaayman

Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
Hoping to find answers on here!

For the past two days i've been plugging in my car at work because the weather here is around -40C and i always start my car 10-15 minutes before i leave work, and i noticed that when i do get to my car and unplug the block heater (car has been on for 5-10), my car turns off and my doors lock and the alarm starts going off. Is there something i'm doing wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

BTW i own a 2012 Civic Ex

I don't have mine setup with a block heater, but I'm wondering if you've tried turning the car off right before trying to unlock the doors?
At least until you figure out how to fix it.

Or put the key in the ignition then unplug? It does seem like the sequence might be the problem.

do you actually have an aftermarket car alarm? Just trying to determine what you have on your car that's aftermarket, or stock honda parts.

iluvmycsx may be of some help. I know he has an engine heater on his 8th gen.

The car starter I have is called "Autostart" and I got it installed at Toyota where my brother works. But I'll try putting the key in first before unplugging. Thanks guys

welcome to the site :wave:
he has the heater...but his car is shutting off if he pulls the plug on it. His doors lock, and then alarm starts. I've never messed with a block heater to know what happens when you unplug them.

unplug the block heater (car has been on for 5-10), my car turns off and my doors lock and the alarm starts going off. Is there something i'm doing wrong?

he has the heater...but his car is shutting off if he pulls the plug on it. His doors lock, and then alarm starts. I've never messed with a block heater to know what happens when you unplug them.

block heater is only needed when car sits for hours parked. once the car starts block heater has done it job. basically makes the block(engine) warm enough to allow the car to start keeps it from being a block of ice. i have never heard that a unplugging a block heater has turned car off.last night with my handsfull i forgot to plug in car (block heater) notice this morning turned the car over just struggled a bit but did start.

sounds like a remote start programing issue.

you could look for your model if you know it here.
http://autostart.ca/downloads_user_install_guides.php

Well today, I put the key into the ignition and then unplugged my car. Seems to be okay. Thanks for the help guys!

well that's great to hear. I don't know enough about them. Glad it worked out

Back