Independent fog lights with OEM switch

fg3_colton

Tampa
Vehicle Model
Civic, LX
Body Style
Coupe
Basically as the title states, I am trying to wire my fog lights to be independent from the low beams while retaining the OEM switch. Now, I have found this diagram from an old post, but it was for an 8th gen, would it be the same for my 9th gen coupe? Next question, am I correct in assuming that I will be adding a wire to connect the orange and purple wires? download_20171214_145143.jpgimage-20171214_144741.jpg
d0710610d42cb811471728f8b9382923.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Ive been curious about doing this as well. From the looks of your photos our plug and the 8th gen is the exact same. I would assume the results with also be the same.

Ive been curious about doing this as well. From the looks of your photos our plug and the 8th gen is the exact same. I would assume the results with also be the same.
I was thinking that, but since I know close to nothing about wiring, I'm gonna wait and do more research

After thinking about this for a bit today I might have an idea. If you get access to the plug like you have done, with the foglights in the on position, using a test light to probe the back of the plug while turning the headlights on and off to determine the wire that feeds the fog light power. Once that wire is determined, cut it and tap it into an ignition source fuse. I think that may give you fully independant fog light use.

Last edited:
After thinking about this for a bit today I might have an idea. If you get access to the plug like you have done, with the foglights in the on position, using a test light to probe the back of the plug while turning the headlights on and off to determine the wire that feeds the fog light power. Once that wire is determined, cut it and tap it into an ignition source fuse. I think that may give you fully independant fog light use.

The link @webby provided is actually where I found this diagram, just gotta read through the pages!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont think so. That purple wire(VT) in the first diagram I posted isnt the one youre holding in your hand in that photo. Its actually labeled as "PK". We need to find which of the 6 wires going into the combo switch is a feed for the foglights. From there we can tag it into an ignition wire.That should do the trick.
NmLOj9r.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think so. That purple wire(VT) in the first diagram I posted isnt the one youre holding in your hand in that photo. Its actually labeled as "PK". We need to find which of the 6 wires going into the combo switch is a feed for the foglights. From there we can tag it into an ignition wire.That should do the trick.
NmLOj9r.jpg
Ok, now I'm going to be asking probably a lot of dumb questions now because i know literally nothing about following wiring diagrams, and wiring in general lol. Now, would I be correct in saying that our main goal is to control the fog light relay?

Not to worry , Im not exactly a wiring professional myself. Im really hoping someone on this forum has a deeper education on wiring and may be able to chime in after seeing the diagrams. As far as the controlling the relay goes I cant exactly answer that either.

I see that the "PK" wire seems to be a low beam. Its connected directly with the automatic sensor.
I also see that "BK" #5 is shared on both diagrams.

Not to worry , Im not exactly a wiring professional myself. Im really hoping someone on this forum has a deeper education on wiring and may be able to chime in after seeing the diagrams. As far as the controlling the relay goes I cant exactly answer that either.

I see that the "PK" wire seems to be a low beam. Its connected directly with the automatic sensor.
I also see that "BK" #5 is shared on both diagrams.
Noticed the same as well. I'm currently texting one of my friends who happens to be an engineering major, and does all his own wiring in his car, hopefully he can help us out here lol.

Back