Injen axleback Exhaust with Supercharger?

CLJolley

Hey guys, Im new here. I have been perusing many different threads on this forum for a good while now. Lots of great information. I am starting to gather parts for a supercharger setup and will be using the Kraftwerks kit that is available for my 2012 Si. I have an Injen axleback exhaust and really like it. I know that that exhaust is not one of the favored ones around here, but I really like it for the simplicity of install and the complete lack of droning. It is exactly what i was looking for. I am familiar with basic automotive knowledge and have been working on cars since I was very young. I know that that particular exhaust does almost nothing in the way of performance. My question is... When I make the jump on my Kraftwerks kit and get it all bolted up and ready to go, will that exhaust (axleback only, stock midpipe and downpipe/cat) be enough? I know that I will be sacrificing a fair amount of power, which isnt really my concern. My concern is will this do any damage to the engine? Reliability? Also, will the stock cat even take the heat from the supercharger? What im looking to do is avoid having to purchase a full exhaust (New DP, and cat-back). I know some of you will probably tell me to take the cat off completely, however I do not wish to do this as we have frequent smog checks here in Ohio. If I cannot get away with the setup I have now, will getting perhaps an RV6 downpipe and HFC be adequate?

So to reiterate, my plans are...
Stock Engine
Kraftwerks kit
Possible Fuel Pump upgrade
FlashPro
VitViper E-tune
Injen axleback exhaust with stock DP and Mid-pipe

Thanks alot guys!
-Chase

I know that technically you can run a supercharger without an aftermarket exhaust, but it's highly recommended, not just for more performance, buy I feel like without it, you're not getting your monies worth of the $3-4k you just spent on a sc kit.
As far as damage to the engine/reliability, I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I could be wrong...
I'd recommend at least the RV6 dp, if not a 3" one. IMO you should keep the cat. And a full catback exhaust. Again, doesn't absolutely have to be 3" if you're concerned about noise/drone, but again, I'd recommend it. Ultimate Racing has a dp/exhaust with an optional 2 muffler setup (that's what I have with my CT kit)
And I'm pretty sure you will need the fuel pump upgrade.

Like I said. I'm very happy with the injen exhaust. I really would hate to just pitch it and drop 600+ dollars on a different one. If I could get away with just a DP upgrade that would be acceptable. Like I said as well though, I'm not too worried about "not getting my money worth" I can upgrade exhaust later, but I would like to run the setup I have now for as long as possible. I just don't want to hurt anything. Be it the blower or the engine etc... The sound is an issue too. I had a Miata with a full catback and it was unbearable.

invidia q300 is probably the most quiet catback option. People say it's not much different from stock as far as noise. Getting a downpipe but leaving your axleback exhaust on would be a bit silly in my opinion. You're just moving the bottleneck down.

normal
engine / pre-cat / downpipe / 2nd- cat / catback exhaust

you
engine / pre-cat / downpipe / 2nd-cat/ oem catback / injen axle back

what you want
engine / aftermarket downpipe / high flow cat / oem catback / injen axleback (moving the bottleneck to the oem catback portion)

You're not going to hurt the car leaving the oem stuff in tact. You're just spending a lot of money for supercharger gains that won't see anywhere near their full potential. The hp/tq figures that most places list are with downpipes/catbacks.

Reactions: Nix
Thanks webby. I'm well aware of it being silly. I know I won't see as good of gains as I should with a full exhaust upgrade. I will be purchasing the 3" ultimate racing DP. Or the full race one. Does anybody know if Full race is compatible with stock catback section just so I can throw it on while I save back up for the catback upgrade. What I'm ending up looking to do is buy the downpipe. Then my kW kit. Then upgrade the catback portion of the exhaust.

Back