Instrument cluster lost power

Nanzzz

Washington
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Hi! =] Im new to this fourm and I was wondering if I could get some help I have at 2013 civic about 126000 miles I was driving at 60mph all of a sudden I lost power to the the section where the speedometer is located then I lost power to my instrument cluster except the light indicating my headlights was on I started losing power and the car wouldn't accelerate first thing that popped in my head was the torque converter or tranny. As I stared pulling over to the shoulder my steering wheel got super stiff like as if it lock up then I was thinking did my belt ripped? When I came to a full stop I turned on my hazards fronts where flashing rears weren't getting any power I popped by hood, belt was in tacked looked around to check for anything lose or broken checked the battery connection nice and tight no corrosion. I tried tuning it hoping to get lucky. Car turned on like normal no check engine light no battery light nothing. Drove another 40 miles and car was normal has this happen to anyone else? I took a quick vid not sure if I can upload it here or not lol
I don't think it's a relay because of the hazard lights front getting power but not rear. Unless it uses 2 diff fuse/relay for the from and the rear
It's shouldn't be the battery/alt since I was getting power
It's not the belt
I'm not sure if it has electric steering have to check if it uses fluid
Could it be the ecu? Does the 9th gen have this problem? Any ideas? Or advise? Other then take it to the dealer lol

Check your battery output with a multimeter under load and with the car off. You could take the car to any place like auto zone and have them check your battery and alternator. They’ll check it for free. That’s where I would start.

Welcome to the fourm. I had had similar experiences before with my SI. It ended up being a dead diode in the alternator. I would do what Webby said stop by an Autozone or auto parts store and have them run a test on both.

So I didn't have any problems since last night. I got my multi meter battery was @ 12.78 which looked pretty good turned on the car, it jumped to 14.7 I ended up testing my battery and it bad. I was really surprised like wtf lol :confused: just because the rc is like 60something min the car dying and turning on a few minutes after like nothing ever happened. Ended up buying a new battery noticed dried up acid at the bottom of my old battery. Then thought about it, oem battery from 2013 like 5 years old sounds like an average life. To think I wasn't going to not even bother with the charging system and start looking for a short or open circuit :oops: thank you guys for the advice! Saved me a headache =D if this ever happen again 1st thing check the battery then the alt just in case my diodes fail lol20190120_170552.jpg 20190120_220040.jpg

I just replaced the OEM battery on my 2013 Si. I didn't have any issues like what OP posted, but I started noticing that the engine was cranking slower on startup. 5 years is about the max for a lead acid battery.

Again thank you for the advise and the welcoming ^_^ I really appreciate it here is a coupon for 20% off on the 22-24 on regular price items cashier should be able to scan it with the pictures 20190121_080334.jpg 20190121_080616.jpg

Back