Interior Quality (Pros - Cons)

Martin Hurley

Don't get me wrong, I like my 2012 Civic EX 5 speed a lot.

Though, as I have previously owned a 2007 Civic Ex-Coupe I can't help but notice quite a few differences.

Pros

The 2012 bluetooth and i-mid are great. I adjusted to the buttons without reading any instructions very user firendly.

The road noise inside the cabin is noticably less...I am impressed.

Cons

I rest my elbow on the window sill when driving...I can't in the 2012 as there is an annoying creak. This creak s present on all doors when you press in. My 2007 was solid as well as my 08 CRV/Accord. My 2012 Odyssey doors are so solid that a freakin elephant could rest its hoof on the sill and not make it creak!

The headliner is gone from a nice fabric to something which feels like styrofoam with felt glued to it. Ugh!

The handy + - buttons for adjusting the interior illumination are gone (replaced by econ). The rotary adjustment now resides behind the steering wheel in the dash which you have to uncomfortably reach around when driving.

The seat and console fabric are of lesser quality than before. I have my civic 5 months and the centre console cover has wear in the fabric after only 5 months!

Does anyone else have these kind of issues with your own interiors or further pros/cons?

I can't say I have any issues with my interior other than when we first got the car the headliner wasn't fully on by the sunroof but we just popped it back into place and it's been fine. There's no creaking or rattling *knock on wood* I used to dislike the plastic type parts on the dash and other areas but let me tell you, that stuff is much more durable than the 8th interior was. The 8th scuffed so easily compared to this. I haven't seen any wear in the material either and I had the car about 4 months now. I think it will slightly vary from each individual car though. Also not sure if some things are different because of the trim levels either. I do kinda miss the simplicity of the bluetooth on my Accord though. With that all you had to say was "dial" and the person's name and it did it. With the Civic you have to be like, "dial by voice tag" "(person's name)" "dial" in order to make a call. Seems a bit strung out to make a simple call.

Thanks KennyGS,

A couple more...

PRO - The actual shifter knob is nicer in the 2012 compared to my 07 coupe. It is now rounded...I think before it had a somewhat squarer profile.

CON - Not a fan of the angled stereo console. Some people (myself included) don't mind sharing the controls with their better half!
Also the black buttons on the black stereo would look a lot nicer if they were a different colour i.e. metallic finish.

Feel free to comment on my few Pro's and Con's.
Love the fact that my Civic sips fuel and rides smooth, but can't help think Honda cut a few corners on the inside!
Overall, I don't regret my decision to go with the 2012, but I am very picky when it comes to the finer details.

I have great experience with my Honda vehicles, having to do nothing more than routine maintenance.
I have had Hyundai's (2003 Sonata - Alternator, O2 sensor problems, 2005 Tuscon V6 AWD - 100,000 km transmission failure)
Also, 2008 Dodge Ram which Chrysler had to buy back uner arbitration due to recurring 4wd problems which were unrectifiable.

Since we have switched to Honda we have had a great experience. In short, my Honda history....
2007 Civic Ex Coupe 5spd - Loved it, fun to drive (Traded in, no loss)
2008 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe 6 speed - Upgraded to this demo got it for invoice plus a grand. It was my baby...man that thing could go!
2008 CR-V - My wife loved it, I used it a lot for carrying my bikes, kids, golden retriever and cargo...sometimes all at the same time!
Handled like a car.
2012 Civic EX Sedan 5 spd - Got rid of the Accord in advance of the arrival of our third child. Got the Civic for our thrifty runabout!
2012 Odyssey EX - We love this one already. Remarkably quiet on the road, easier to handle the kids and holds way more cargo than the Pilot. Our oldest son couldn't get his arse between two car seats in the CR-V, so we had a dilemma. Wanted a Pilot but burns more gas, costs more money, two car seats to the side in the 2nd row makes third row access a problem, and couldn't close the tailgate with our stroller in the back on the test drive without folding the seats....therefore Odyssey!

Excellent write up! :woot:

I can't say I have any issues with my interior other than when we first got the car the headliner wasn't fully on by the sunroof but we just popped it back into place and it's been fine. There's no creaking or rattling *knock on wood* I used to dislike the plastic type parts on the dash and other areas but let me tell you, that stuff is much more durable than the 8th interior was. The 8th scuffed so easily compared to this. I haven't seen any wear in the material either and I had the car about 4 months now. I think it will slightly vary from each individual car though. Also not sure if some things are different because of the trim levels either. I do kinda miss the simplicity of the bluetooth on my Accord though. With that all you had to say was "dial" and the person's name and it did it. With the Civic you have to be like, "dial by voice tag" "(person's name)" "dial" in order to make a call. Seems a bit strung out to make a simple call.

To clarify, the door only creaks when I rest my elbow on the door as I always do when I drive.
There are absolutely no panel, suspension, etc..squeaks or creaks in general driving conditions.
It has never been an issue for me before, even in my 1993 Mazda 323 hatchback. LOL.
Next time you are driving along just squeeze your arm up a little against the window sill or even try resting it there...let me know what you think?
From your pic, you have a coupe...mine is a sedan...maybe your door is better built as coupe doors are heavy duty due to their size and weight.

I hear you on the Accord bluetooth...simple works just as well as fancy!
Looking at your picture, it appears you have an Si, which would have upgraded material compared to my EX Sedan...nice car by the way!
Do you miss your Accord as much as I miss mine?

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear you have no such issues. Enjoy your car!

To clarify, the door only creaks when I rest my elbow on the door as I always do when I drive.
There are absolutely no panel, suspension, etc..squeaks or creaks in general driving conditions.
It has never been an issue for me before, even in my 1993 Mazda 323 hatchback. LOL.
Next time you are driving along just squeeze your arm up a little against the window sill or even try resting it there...let me know what you think?
From your pic, you have a coupe...mine is a sedan...maybe your door is better built as coupe doors are heavy duty due to their size and weight.

I hear you on the Accord bluetooth...simple works just as well as fancy!
Looking at your picture, it appears you have an Si, which would have upgraded material compared to my EX Sedan...nice car by the way!
Do you miss your Accord as much as I miss mine?

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear you have no such issues. Enjoy your car!
I usually rest my arm on the door when I drive around town. I haven't heard any creaks from that either. :think:
Thanks I really love the Civic. As far as the Accord goes, I am so glad it's gone! I hated that thing. Granted it was a beautiful car and fast but it wasn't fun to drive and that's what means the most to me when owning a car. What year was your Accord? Mine was 2010

I had an 08 EX-L V6 PMM 6 speed manual with HFP Aero kit and rear spoiler.
When the car seats are gone I am going to revert to something sportier like Si or Accord Coupe.
Wish they had the European Civic hatchback in North America! They actually get to keep the LED lights...
Don't you just hate how honda jazzes up their preproduction concepts (i.e 2012 Civic, 2010 Odyssey Chicago Concept) with LED lights, etc...
only to remove the cool stuff for final production!

I stuck a pic of my Accord here...I will have to send some pics of my new Hondas when I get back home from offshore Brazil.
408-2.JPG

Ha! Not entirely related to the thread...

PRO - Crashability...my wife had a collision today and the Civic has front end damage, air bags deployed...hopefully a write off.
More importantly, she is fine aside from scratched face from airbag deployment. It is always preferable to walk away from an accident, and the Civic definitely
protects those inside. Now we may have to replace it....hmmm.....

:sadwavey: man that sucks. At least she's ok. Any pics of the damage?

Not pics yet, I am offshore Brazil. Will post some if I can get em!
Guess I can cancel getting an Si style front grille for Xmas to go with my decklid spoiler and fog lights! hahaha!

idk i went from an 06 si to a 12 si. and i notice the material feels of lower quality but it feels a lot more durable than the 8th gen.(from suede to the mesh material. suede feels better dont get me wrong) just my opinion. my 8th gen when i traded it in the arm rest on the door sill was faded like no other. same thing with my arm rest in the middle. the interior on my 12 seems like it will take the test of time.

Here are couple of pics of the damage...ACE body structure holds up pretty well for a frontal collision with an oncoming vehicle.
The Saturn she hit has significant damage. I hope it gets written off to to airbag deployment, seat belt replacement and structural damage.

Back