Is custom i-mid maintenance information possible?

scott

New York
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
coupe
I have gone through the manual, but didn't find anything on how to set the maintenance intervals myself.

For instance;

1. Assuming the oil life is calculated by the actual mileage, what if I change to synthetic and want to change the oil on a 8K interval instead of a 3k?

2. The tire rotation doesn't tell you how many miles are left before a rotation is required, so how do I know how many miles I have left?

Is this possible? The manual is very vague...

Unfortunately, not at this time. The oil meter isn't off miles either. It keeps data on # of cold starts, rpms, etc and calculates a percentage of oil life. If you drive to the 15% indicator, it'll probably be between 6500-9000 miles.

You could basically do tire rotations off oil changes, or the oil life meter

Thanks Webby!

I would agree with Jasonandre, that would be nice.

So if the indicator seems to report 15% oil life at about 6.5k to 9k miles, at what mileage interval are most folks changing their oil at? ... 3K, 6.5k?

everyone is going to have their own opinion on oil change intervals. Honda says follow the maintenence minder..

california has just launched a program to get motorists to stop doing 3k interval oil changes due to waste (unless your car explicitly requires it)
http://why.knovel.com/all-engineering-news/1289-advances-in-car-and-oil-engineering-make-frequent-oil-changes-unnecessary-california-study-finds.html

oil change analysis on previous SI models -

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2039741
here is an 05 civic si with a 10k mile interval change on penzoil platinum.

another 10k mile interval
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1710108
penzoil platinum

Mobil 1 5w20 9300 miles Honda Civic Si K20A3
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818480&fpart=1

0w-20 - 02 Honda Civic Si K20A3, 10k miles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240214&page=1

ultimately, it's your decision

The safe bet is doing whatever you feel is best for yourself. Keep in mind, that before the maintenance minder system, Honda said every 5k. I personally don't like pushing it to 9k, but as long as you check your oil during fuel fills, and it's not low, and not dark as night, you'll be good following the minder.

A question about the maintenance minder: does it keep track of when oil changes are performed compared to when it is recommended? Like, is there some record somewhere of whether I changed the oil (or reset the oil light) at 15% oil life remaining or 1000 miles past oil life expired?

If I'm buying a used car, I can look at the service records and see whether the oil was changed every 3000, 5000, 7000 miles, whatever. But say I'm buying a used Civic with maintenance minder, and I see that the previous owner regularly went 10,000 miles between oil changes. Is there any way to tell whether that's what the maintenance minder told him to do?

Honda may be able to extract that info with their tool. The car has a black box which records data prior/after a crash - airbag deployment, etc. I have never read a report of users being able to read/access this data.

I don't think you'll be able to get that info. No dealer will take the time to check the history from the black box. The only way you would find out that info is if they took it to the same place for oil changes. Companies are required to keep there invoices for up to 8 years in most US states(not sure about canada)

I'm at 60% at 3500mi. The rate I'm going, it will be 10k before an oil change. Probably gonna do it at 5, just to be safe

I am on my 6th Honda.

1991 CRX HF Manual - Used
1992 Hatchback DX Auto - Used
1998 Civic LX Manual - Used
2006 Civic EX Auto - Brand New
2009 CRV LX - Brand New
2012 Civic Hybrid w/ Navi - Brand New

Before I got the 2006 car I usually change the oil and filter every 3k miles so basically every couple of months I do this. They incorporated the maintenance minder system starting with 2006 model. I was skeptic at first to think now I change it every 7k - 9k miles depending on driving conditions which is every 7 months. After awhile I gotten used to the maintenance minder for anything it needs to be done. Doing fewer oil changes actually is economic and time benefit as I don't have to do it so often. I do my own oil changes using Mobil One full synthetic which can go even longer between changes but sticking with the minder system.

Also I've been hearing that Honda do not change the filter at every oil change. Well, I do it every time anyway since it's only $4 (I buy bulk OEM Honda filters) and cheap investment to protect my car.

So now I am on my third Honda with the minder system I never had a problem with the car or the engine. It's nice to know that it keeps track of the oil life so I don't have to worry about it.

Wish my mom's Mitsubishi has it because she never takes care of any of her cars. Gotta be me to deal with it. lol

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Back