Is it Cheaper to Insure a Honda Civic Sedan Than a Coupe?

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin
Is it Cheaper to Insure a Honda Civic Sedan Than a Coupe?

Cars-Traffic-Highway.jpg

Question: How is the Honda Civic coupe classified in comparison to the Civic sedan? Will a coupe have a higher car insurance rate than the sedan?

Answer: More often than not, car insurance providers will find one or more of the risk factors associated with a coupe to push the cost of its coverage higher than that of the same model sedan, and this is what we found with the Honda Civic.

For insurance companies to come up with the vehicle classifications and rating for each make and model vehicle, they take into account several ratings factors, including, but not limited to:
  • Initial purchase price of the vehicle
  • Cost of repairs
  • How often the model/type of vehicle is involved in an accident
  • Safety ratings
  • Top speed / horsepower
  • Rate of theft

Using these factors, two-door coupes are typically more expensive to insure than a four-door sedan, but this isn't true all of the time since insurance companies rating systems and vehicle rating classifications do differ.

For an example of the difference in costs, we ran a quick quote for a 30-year-old single male living in Edmond, Okla.,for both a 2012 Honda Civic sedan and coupe. We chose bodily injury liability limits of $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident and $50,000 for property damage liability (50/100/50 coverage) and carrying collision and comprehensive with $500 deductibles each.

The sedan came back with a rate of $1,626 a year and the coupe $1,838, so the coupe in this rate comparison was more expensive by $212 per year.

The differences were seen in higher rates on your bodily injury liability, collision and comprehensive coverages. Comprehensive (coverage that protects against theft) went up the most; this coverage was $144 more a year for the coupe than the sedan.

If you are shopping around for a new car and a Honda is at the top of your list, you're in luck. We've already done some of the heavy lifting for you. We have complied auto insurance rate comparisons for several 2012 Honda models here.
We also have gathered information specifically on the 2012 Honda Civic, which includes car insurance comparison rates for it and its competitors.

Your car insurance rates will differ above or on the Honda pages because your premium will be based on your location, driving record, annual mileage and other important rating factors.

I'd encourage you to get a free auto insurance rate quote before purchasing your new vehicle, whether it's a Honda coupe, sedan or totally different car. This way, when you head to the dealership to purchase your car there are no surprises on how much your auto insurance premium will be.

The original article can be found at CarInsurance dot com:
Is it cheaper to insure a Honda Civic sedan than a coupe?

I was surprised to learn that insurance on my 2012 Si Coupe was actually cheaper than the insurance had been on my 2002 RSX-S. Apparently the RSX had a higher rate of theft (one of the things mentioned in the article to determine insurance cost). Regardless, no complaints over that surprise, lol.

My Si Sedan was about $20 a month cheaper than my 02 BMW 540i that I traded in for it. New car and less expensive insurance. That's what I call a win/win!

newer crash rating system, type and # of airbags/seat airbags, ace body structure... lot of improvements over time as well

Pretty good article, thank you for sharing. I have an insurance broker who's also a buddy of mine, who can get you a better rate with respectable Insurance Companies. If you want the hook up shoot me a PM, he's been doing this for over 25 years.

I went from a 2010 Civic DX-A Coupe to a 2012 Civic Si Sedan and my insurance dropped by a whopping $300 per year! Mind you I am over 25, have no accidents and have been insured for over 10 years. This was a common denominator when I shopped around ( I ended up getting the same price everywhere ) When I asked why the difference they just said it was because it was a 2 door...nothing more. I had expected it to go up where I was previously driving a base model.

Back