Is Taffeta White Single Stage or Clear Coat?

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I have been trying to determine over several forums if the Honda Taffeta White Paint is still Single Stage or Clear Coat.

I came across information that up to 2006 it was single stage but in 2007 was switched to clear coat.

I have also seen several different paint codes for TW paint from honda for the same year.

Any help from some pros would be awesome. Thanks!

Honda runs a VIN code for paint. 11th digit corresponds to the number of the plant where the car came from.
In 2006 there was a NH578-U color code that does not have a B/C designation along with several other 578 codes that do.The U designation was for a UK (Swindon) plant I believe. In 2007+ the U code dissapeared.

A=3 : Marysville Ohio
B : Alabama
C=1: Sayama (japan)
H=4: Alliston Ontario (Can)
L=5: East Liberty, Ohio
S=2: Suzuka (japan)
T=6: Tochigi (japan)
G=15: El Salto (Mex)
U=8: Swindon, UK

2007+ TW paint codes:

NH 578:
-A/G/3
-B
-H/4
-C/S
-E/L/5

I think it is a single stage(no pearl or anything to create depth) with clear.

Haven't actually worked on TW one yet so I can't be sure. If it's single stage you will get white paint transfer to your pad while polishing. Most new cars are either BC/CC, but a few like my old TSX have a tinted clear.

Thanks guys. I think mine has clear on it but I just wasn't sure. There is an area on my drivers rear fender with what looks like clear coat overspray or sprayed too thick and I know it hasn't been repaired/repainted. So many threads about it going back and forth. Im certain that older white hondas are single stage, my 01' accord, but there seemed to be a point where no one was sure. I'll let you know what I discover.

There was no paint transfer when I would polish my old TW 8th.

Reactions: Nix
Yes!!! Awesome. thanks Nomar! So it's definitely clear coat then.

UPDATE 10/10

Aggressive polishing done on some sections with Meguiars 105, no color transfer to pad. 2008 Taffeta White Honda paint is clear coated.

Back