Issues with the honda link w/ navigation

Todai

Ever since iOS 7.1.1 came out I can no longer get any of the honda link apps to link to my 14 civic 7" display audio system. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I have the $100.00 of cables from honda (yes I got ripped off)
iPhone 5s with iOS 7.1.1
All cables connected successfully.

I get the following error (please see photos)

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :)

e9u3ydas.jpg

5u2ebyse.jpg
vusa2u7a.jpg

Do you know anyone with a phone with the old firmware? Another phone might prove it's an issue with either your system or your phone.

Try this one…double-tap the home button and force quit all the open apps. Then press and hold the sleep button until you see slide to power off. Power off the iPhone and reboot it. Then try it. If that does not work, make sure your iPhone is fully backed up using iTunes (photos, etc). and restore the iPhone software. Sometimes it is a good idea to restore as a new phone, not from a backup in case there was something messed up with the software and you don't want to restore the messed up backup into the phone again. I know it is a task, but it might solve your problem. Before you do that, you could also search Apple's Discussion forum on their support page. There is always good information there, and you might find others with the same issue.

Let me see if I have time to try that out. I'll report my results once completed

I have exactly the same configuration you have and have had no problems at all (other than not getting all the stations I want in AHA). Try Hillstones advice, but before you do a restore, check with the Apple website (or google the error message you're getting to see if others are having the same problem). You can start here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/25202974#25202974

Ehhhh what a nightmare,I worked for Honda for 3 years and ever since they started all this touch screen Nonsense they have had nothing but problems and complaints. When they first started using it in the 13 Accord's it was the biggest headache.

I've had no problems with the touchscreen in my Si, didn't have any problems with the touchscreen in my Pilot or CR-V. IOS problems are generally (not always but generally) caused by changes made by Apple. Not even Honda can figure out what Apple will change with no notice (and I have a lot of Apple equipment as well as PC so I'm OS agnostic).

When they first put it in the accord it had nothing to do with apple the system it self was all messed up and required several updates before you could even use the radio properly there was complaints about the radio cutting out switching stations not working at all etc...

Do you have any friends with iPhones running 7.1.1 that you could test? Then you could narrow it down to your iPhone. Rebooting it might help, that will usually clear up any weird behavior. Do that before the restore. Also, does the iPhone need to be unlocked and on the home screen first, before you plug in? They changed the software before 7.1.1 that requires the phone unlocked before it will appear in iTunes. Same might be true with the car.

Sorry I took so long to update to my post, but here is the update so far.... I have tried to following troubleshooting steps:

I have uninstalled & reinstalled all the Honda Link Apps on my phone (Launcher, Connect, Aha, Navigation) - Did not work
I have Shut down the phone & started it back up (holding the power button and sliding to power down) - Did not work
I did a hard reboot (Hold the Power Button & Home button for 15~ seconds) - Did not work
I did a wipe & restore from a backup - Did not work
I did a wipe & setup as a new phone. Only installed the Honda apps (Launcher, Connect, Aha, Navigation) - Did not work
I unpaired & re-paired my Bluetooth device - Did not work
I re-seated all cables - Did not work

I will try another phone here in the near future & report back on my results. Obviously I would like to get it back up & working otherwise its a good waste of $160.00~. Thanks for all the help & suggestions so far guys.

I would definitely take it to the dealer & have them look at it.

Honestly since it was working before the update to your phone is probably that the honda link isnt compatible with 7.1.1 yet. Its probably nothing on hondas end more on apples side.

Update: I called Hondas support line this week @ followed all troubleshooting steps with 0 success. They said the next step is to go to the dealers & have them work on it. The appointment is for this coming Monday. I'll do my best to update you after this step.

Side note: I did test with a different iPhone & the problem continued.

Update:

I took my car into my Local Dealer. I had an appointment at 7:00AM and their systems were having issues, but they were able to resolve it with in a few minutes. I get checked in & I explain to the guy what the problem is. He is super confident that this issue should be an easy fix. I get the car dropped off & wait an hour for the Shuttle Service to take me to work (So I was a tad be late to work... 45 Minutes). While at work 3-4 hours later I got a few calls:

1st Call (10:23AM): Tech advises that the problem is fixed. I then asked him which app he used to test it. He then had an awkward pause saying that it plays music via the stereo. I had to then explain that that was never a problem. I explained he will need to download one of the 3 free apps for the Honda Link system. He said he would ask his tech to do it & give me a call back.

2nd Call (11:23AM): Tech advises that they "Cannot do it" because it requires a HondaLink username & password. He went on to explain none of them own Honda's so that will not be an option. He then asks if I can come back into the dealership. I explained I do not have a spare care & that they would have to pick me up. He ends the call saying someone will call me back.

3rd Call (11:31AM): A different person calls to arrange the shuttle pickup. I make arrangements to be picked up.

I get to the dealer (12:00PM) and am greeted by the same guy who checked me in this morning. He says show us what the problem is. I connect the phone up to the stereo & show him the same error message I explained to him was happening before. (Unable to connect to smartphone. Please disconnect all USB cables & try again). He then calls another guy to try & explain that the system works fine if I just use "HDMI" mode. I had to then explain to him as soon as I put the car in Park HDMI feature gets disabled for safety reasons & that we should test the cables & phone in a different civic or fit. He explains that that shouldn't be necessary. The tech then says let me take the care back to the service bay (12:20 Ish). This time he wants to take my phone with him. I lent him my phone & gave him my passcode & had to play the waiting game. About 30-45 minutes later (I have no watch so this may have been an hour) the tech calls me back to the mechanics bay. I go back & have to explain to the mechanic that it is not working. He explains to me that it is working because music is currently playing via my stereo system & Bluetooth. I explained that Bluetooth was not the problem from the beginning. I then showed him how they system is supposed to work & he explained that he needed more time. I went back and sat down for another 30-45 minutes still without my phone. The first tech comes in & explains that they want to test it on another car which was one of my suggestions from the get go. We go and sit down in a 2015 Honda Fit & test it. Immediately it works. The service tech explains it to the mechanic & I go back to sit down. Another 15-30 minutes later the mechanic comes back & says "We have to test it on an identical car". So we go back out to the lot and find a 2014 Civic. The mechanic took me to an LX model. I had to explain that that will not work because it doesn't have the same stereo system. We find a EX model & jump in and test it. The HondaLink works perfectly in the 2014 Civic. He finally gives up and says it must be the head unit. He went on to explain that he will have to order a replacement Head Unit & that I would have to come back to have it installed....

Long story short.... Its not fixed & I am waiting on a replacement stereo to be ordered / installed in my car.

Back