Issues with the honda link w/ navigation

The lead tech explained that the new stereos are " really expensive" so they want to make sure it's the stereo that is the problem
Why should he care? Honda covers a percentage of the warranty work (the labor part) up to 100% of the cost if it's defective. The tech is there to fix the problem, not be overly concerned with expense.

U could have more bad luck if you let them install another unit with workmanship, just remember ppl don't take the time and care like they do if it's there own. remember that!
I'm 100% with you on that @Pir8pete. I hate having work done for fear of having some amateur hack making a mess of things and screwing up the car. I also make sure that after my car is serviced, they park my car somewhere where it won't get door dents from some inconsiderate a**hole who isn't careful around other peoples cars.

I will do my best to inspect the car after they are done. & I will try to take some photos before my next visit which hopefully will be my last

They didn't even want to send the unit out to the dealership. It's a strange way to do business. If they can resolve it on this next go I think the lemon law kicks in...
The lemon law does not yet apply in your situation because they are still troubleshooting the same issue using different techniques. The lemon law would apply if they replaced the stereo three times, each time fixing the issue, and then the same problem occurs again after the third repair for the same failure. You haven't gotten that far yet. I have a similar repair situation in which the HVAC blower fan has failed three times, all the same fault, and Honda has replaced the HVAC blower fan three times. The second repair involved replacing the power resistor/transistor in addition to the blower fan. The fan failed the first month I had the car, Honda replaced the fan. It failed again the following month and Honda replaced the fan with the power resistor. It worked great for 10 months/20,000 miles, then it failed again two weeks ago. Honda has replaced the blower fan again, and can't figure out why it keeps failing. We will see how long it lasts this time. I have an 8 year/100K warranty. I can argue a safety failure because if the fan is failing, I would not be able to defrost the windshield in the winter, causing a safety risk. I am not sure if your failed HondaLink Display would be considered a safety issue. I am annoyed that the HVAC fan keeps failing because I really love my car!

Why should he care? Honda covers a percentage of the warranty work (the labor part) up to 100% of the cost if it's defective. The tech is there to fix the problem, not be overly concerned with expense.
They have every right to care about how much a warranty repair would cost Honda. They are sending out a lead tech from Torrance Headquarters to figure out why it is not working. Maybe something can be done with reinstalling the software in the stereo rather than dropping thousands to replace a stereo that may not be broken. Every company has the right to control expenses so they don't go out of business making the wrong, expensive decision. Yes, it may be inconvenient with multiple visits, but I would be thankful they are sending out a lead tech to figure out the true problem. Maybe there is an issue with the subcomponents, such as the USB or HDMI harnesses/modules. Or the HondaLink/Bluetooth module is the issue, and not the main stereo unit. So Honda should get credit for doing such extensive troubleshooting, rather than saying, "We can't duplicate the issue".

The lemon law does not yet apply in your situation because they are still troubleshooting the same issue using different techniques. The lemon law would apply if they replaced the stereo three times, each time fixing the issue, and then the same problem occurs again after the third repair for the same failure. You haven't gotten that far yet. I have a similar repair situation in which the HVAC blower fan has failed three times, all the same fault, and Honda has replaced the HVAC blower fan three times. The second repair involved replacing the power resistor/transistor in addition to the blower fan. The fan failed the first month I had the car, Honda replaced the fan. It failed again the following month and Honda replaced the fan with the power resistor. It worked great for 10 months/20,000 miles, then it failed again two weeks ago. Honda has replaced the blower fan again, and can't figure out why it keeps failing. We will see how long it lasts this time. I have an 8 year/100K warranty. I can argue a safety failure because if the fan is failing, I would not be able to defrost the windshield in the winter, causing a safety risk. I am not sure if your failed HondaLink Display would be considered a safety issue. I am annoyed that the HVAC fan keeps failing because I really love my car!

Yeah I honestly do not wish to return my car. I really am enjoying it so far. I hope they can resolve my issue on this next visit so I can be a happy honda owner again.

Yeah I honestly do not wish to return my car. I really am enjoying it so far. I hope they can resolve my issue on this next visit so I can be a happy honda owner again.
At least they tested your phone in other Hondas and confirmed the phone worked as expected in other vehicles. So something is going on with the audio components in your vehicle if it refuses to recognize the phone. What will happen when SkyNet goes active?

Honda Update:

Honda will be upgrading everyone's firmware that bought there 2014 w/o the Apple CarPlay and going fw all 2014+ CarPlay will already be installed -> http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

@Todai

I'm sure you'll be getting this update when the tech from corp. visits

I will be happy to take Carplay as it will likely phase out all the HondaLink stuff for me. At this time I am still waiting for the dealership to call me back & set up an appointment.

@Pir8pete : Have you found some sort of recent update regarding carplay & the 14 civics? I looked at the apple page & it looks the same as I remember it from months ago.

Honda Update:

Honda will be upgrading everyone's firmware that bought there 2014 w/o the Apple CarPlay and going fw all 2014+ CarPlay will already be installed -> http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

@Todai

I'm sure you'll be getting this update when the tech from corp. visits

I will be happy to take Carplay as it will likely phase out all the HondaLink stuff for me. At this time I am still waiting for the dealership to call me back & set up an appointment.

@Pir8pete : Have you found some sort of recent update regarding carplay & the 14 civics? I looked at the apple page & it looks the same as I remember it from months ago.

Ya, same as @Todai said. Where did you get this info from @Pir8pete?

Minor Update: The dealer scheduled an appointment with me tomorrow to try and fix this problem. Obviously I hope they fix it, but I will not hold my breath based on the recent track record regarding this issue.

Fixed 08/13/2014: My HondaLink system is alive again! Although I do not have the part numbers the following was replaced:

* Honda Head Unit
* USB Port (In Front of the Shift Knob)
* HDMI Port

Not sure if my head unit was defective or not, but after they replaced all parts listed my system started to work 100% again. Looks like the 3rd time was the charm... I hope no one else has to go through this in the future =/

Good news. Too bad they didn't do a bit more troubleshooting to find out exactly which part was defective. Glad it's fixed though.

Fixed 08/13/2014: My HondaLink system is alive again! Although I do not have the part numbers the following was replaced:

* Honda Head Unit
* USB Port (In Front of the Shift Knob)
* HDMI Port

Not sure if my head unit was defective or not, but after they replaced all parts listed my system started to work 100% again. Looks like the 3rd time was the charm... I hope no one else has to go through this in the future =/
Now we just need CarPlay to be released! :coffee:
Glad to hear that your issue was resolved @Todai

Back