Just got my 9th: Silver EX-L w/ Navi

lunarfaze

Just picked it up today! Love it already. Still a heck of a lot to learn with all the tech gadgets. I have a couple of pics too. I also own a 1st Gen CVCC so I have both ends of the Honda Civic extreme... LOL. See photos below:

Exterior Shot:
Civic A.jpg

Interior Shot:
Civic B.jpg

My 1st Gen CVCC, 1977, Hondamatic
Civic 77.jpg

wow they both look great! Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the forum! :D

that is awesome! Tell us more about your 77 if you would. How long have you had it,..where did you get it... other pics, stories? Welcome to the site

I got my 1977 about 9 years ago for $1200. It was a daily driver for a while but it had (has) a head gasket leak. I did some very minor work on the car like plugs, wires, fuel stuff... but honestly, I am lost on carburated (sp) engines. I have no idea how to pull the head off or the exhaust manifold. On the 1st gen sites I am on they say there's a special tool. So, it's been sitting for 5 years waiting for something. I just put it up for sale too just because I will probably never get it running well enough to pass CA smog. I as redoing the interior too...

Sad to hear about your civic. I don't know how long you've had it, or if this is your first head gasket issue?

I read this before - guy had like 6 head gaskets before a shop realized his issue
http://thisoldhonda.org/articles_detail.php?ID=86

Snippet -
One last word, and that is that I’ve encountered in my research on this subject, a tremendous amount of misinformation on the question of the subject of Honda Civic head gasket failures. In particular, Information such as the recommendation of using of a ‘Fel-Pro’ type gasket to cure the gasket blowing problem on a Honda Civic CVCC is so bad that use of that particular type of gasket might actually create worse problems for an early CVCC owner. If a gasket-blowing problem exists that seems recurrent and persistent, keep in mind that it may well not be a warped cylinder head exacerbating the situation as much as a warped engine block deck (no one thinks to check the deck for perfect plane, seemingly, although almost everyone knows that checking the head for proper plane is standard procedure in repairing head gaskets). If you get a rebuilt Honda Civic CVCC engine from anyone, take some pains to be sure they haven’t sold you a rebuilt block from a ’76-’77 CVCC that has a warped deck (due to severe heat damage from an earlier blow-out). Not un-ironically, that’s one of those things hardly anyone would even stop to think about, in terms of possible problems associated with a ‘new rebuild’.

That's cool with the very first generation and now the very latest generation. I bet it is like night and day...

Back