K24Z7 Cylinder head removal!?!? (help)

Charles Z

Alright, long story short broke a bolt head off trying to replace the Downpipe on my 15 Si. Theres about 1/2in of the bolt still sticking out and ive tried almost everything possible to get this damn thing out. I've been able to move it 2 threads (loosening) but now it wont move.... the stud is completely round and vice grips just aren't cutting it anymore. I think it might be time to just take the head off. I've tried Google search and have found nothing on a DIY on how to remove the head while still in the car. Or should I just drop the entire motor? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Easiest thing to try first would be getting heat on the bolt to see if it’ll start to move. I’ve been able to save myself a couple of times with a propane torch heating it and then it moved. Hit the bolt with heat for 5-10 seconds or so and see if you get any movement. Repeat if needed.

Something like this- you can get them at home depot/Lowe’s/ Walmart etc

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/CRL-Complete-Propane-Torch-UL100/dp/B00QL53S0W/

Can you take 2 nuts and put it on the stud and tighten them together and loosen it with the head side nut? If it is rounded off you could get a tap and die set to re-thread the bolt and heat it like webby said.

Also to clear it up you are speaking about the top 2 bolts correct? The bottom 2 bolts should not come off.

20180518_164911.jpg 20180518_164907.jpg
Sorry for the multiple comments. I Just remembered I took a picture of doing it for the intake manifold side but same concept if you have space. I also wanted to add I am taking my motor out and removing the head is a lot of work. I did find a TM somewhere on doing it if you want to go that route I can look for it.

Looks like I'll be dropping the motor so that way I dont have to pull the head (gonna cost a lot of money) I'm going to drop the Subframe and the motor. I'm hoping that everything goes smooth.

View attachment 58619 View attachment 58620
Sorry for the multiple comments. I Just remembered I took a picture of doing it for the intake manifold side but same concept if you have space. I also wanted to add I am taking my motor out and removing the head is a lot of work. I did find a TM somewhere on doing it if you want to go that route I can look for it.

The stud is smooth all around. Lol I was able to use some vice grips I got from autozone and loosen the stud 1 or 2 threads. But now the VG I have aren't biting anymore.

Also to clear it up you are speaking about the top 2 bolts correct? The bottom 2 bolts should not come off.

Yesssir the two bottom bolts. The one on the driver side to be specific. (Looking from the bottom of the car up)

20181223_200656.jpg
I would get a set like this if you don't have one. That way you can retread the bolt and thread a nut to match to save you time.

But first I would go by sears or Lowe's to look for a bolt extractor tool you can pick one up for around $7 if they have them and try that first and if it does not work try the tap and die before you pull the motor. Trying to pull the motor from the bottom you will need a lift to pick the car up off the motor or you could rent a picker from some places like autozone depending your location.

View attachment 58621
I would get a set like this if you don't have one. That way you can retread the bolt and thread a nut to match to save you time.

But first I would go by sears or Lowe's to look for a bolt extractor tool you can pick one up for around $7 if they have them and try that first and if it does not work try the tap and die before you pull the motor. Trying to pull the motor from the bottom you will need a lift to pick the car up off the motor or you could rent a picker from some places like autozone depending your location.

Just picked up a hoist from my father in laws house. But I'm thinking if I can get lucky and drop the sub frame to have more room I can get it out that way.

Trying to stay somewhat positive on this damn car.... I'm almost to the point of just selling it for what i owe.... lol

Lol, nah don't sell it this is just one of those small obstacles that will feel rewarding once you successfully get it out. I kinda feel like selling mine at times when it gets frustrating at points like right now I am pulling my motor after throwing a rod through the block.

I would pull the motor as a last resort. Agreed with the comments mysick made above.

I’ve had my engine drop out of my car because my mount bolts stripped off the block before. On the eg I have in my build thread. I felt like giving up on every hobby I had lol. I had to drill the holes out and use helicoils to rethread it. I know it’s pretty tight up there though. Heat and lubricants are always an option. Or maybe cut some grooves into the stud with a grinder so u can get a better grip on it? Like try to square it off as much as possible. And get a badass pair of vise grips and say a quick prayer to the car gods. I’m just thinking out loud.

Dropping an engine just to remove a bolt? Holy cow .Heat it up like what was mentioned already. Or find someone that removes bolts for a living.

Back