Key FOB program?

JTShurtleff

Hey guys, pretty new to the forum, just bought my Civic last Monday, the 1st, and bought it used. The car didn't come with a second key FOB and so I bought an uncut one on eBay and was told I could get it cut and programmed but I'm not sure about price. Does anyone know if it is possible to program a FOB on your own and if not about how much a typical Honda dealership charges to do so? Just wanted a second one because the one that came with the car has bite marks in it (from a dog maybe?) from the last owner.

You might be able to program the remote yourself but the transponder that lets the car start when you turn the key can only be programmed by Honda or some locksmiths who have the right equipment

I've seen people say anywhere from around $40-70 for the programming. I'd just call dealerships around your area to see what they charge. They'll probably all be different.

Might see if the dealer you bought the car from will have a spare made at their cost, since they should have done that in the 1st place.

And what's with ppl that can't turn all their keys in?

i was told like $200 iirc from our local key shop/guy and i think he even said to go to the dealer and have them do it

edit: the keys have a chip in them so it makes it difficult

Last edited:
^ that would probably be the case if you bought the key from honda. He has a blank honda key already.

They said $65 for cutting it and didn't guarantee it worked so I left. Guess this blank is a waste unless I can get it cut.

They said $65 for cutting it and didn't guarantee it worked so I left. Guess this blank is a waste unless I can get it cut.

Dude! they should've given you TWO keys to begin with, go ask for the 2nd...you shouldn't have to buy one yourself. I'd be damned!

Dude! they should've given you TWO keys to begin with, go ask for the 2nd...you shouldn't have to buy one yourself. I'd be damned!

used hondas arent required to come with 2 masters and a valet like a new one, only one master key is required

CPO hondas might, but a lot of dealers arent doing the CPO program anymore claiming they can take 1-2k off the sticker on used cars not doing it

Last edited:
used hondas arent required to come with 2 masters and a valet like a new one, only one master key is required

CPO hondas might, but a lot of dealers arent doing the CPO program anymore claiming they can take 1-2k off the sticker on used cars not doing it

Regardless. I wouldn't have left without a second key....I worked at a dealer for years, they'll give in. I would've threatened to not buy the car lol a bit extreme, but hey, it'll get you what you want.

Regardless. I wouldn't have left without a second key....I worked at a dealer for years, they'll give in. I would've threatened to not buy the car lol a bit extreme, but hey, it'll get you what you want.
I totally agree...... At least this should be a notice to ppl on here for the future ....... Get them to make a spare key or tell them you won't buy the car.........
That's how the policy got turned around in the 1st place, ppl need to speak-up before buying.......

A certified car has to come with two keys, I've been in that situation and the subaru dealer that sold me my old 8th said it was a "certified Honda"
I didn't know any better at the time lol

Mine was certified and they made me a valet key but I wanted the extra FOB because the one I got is in rough shape cosmetically. Here's a pic for the person who asked!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365594067.208944.jpg

Back