Keyless entry question

Psipower

So I recently picked up this 2012 civic ex. It has keyless entry. Out of habit I ALWAYS keep a key in my pocket, the remote key in this case. So why is it and what do I have to do to remove this feature.... Key fobs are disabled with key in ignition. For example, I live way out in the country, pull up to the house and turn off the ignition, go inside for a few minutes, and decide to just hit the lock button and lock it up... No can do with this car. Also can't just run out and take the key in my pocket to pop the trunk.... Nooooo have to open the door and pull the trunk release. I know this is nit picking but I need to disable the disabling key fob with key in ignition feature.

You're wanting to lock your car with the key in the ignition? It won't lock that way on purpose. It is keeping you from locking your keys in the car.

I understand that. So let's say the valet key gets left in the ignition... I would still like to be able to use my key fob/key to verify that the doors lock.

Or 118 degrees outside or 18 degrees outside and I don't have remote start. So I go out and start up the car but I want to come back inside to fix my lunch or tie my tie or whatever and want to lock the car while I'm inside.

it won't even lock with the keys just laying in the car, let along the ignition

Mine does not have push button start, thank goodness, so yes it will lock with a key or key fob inside the car but not in the ignition.

you're able to lock your car with the key fob inside the car? With a 2nd fob?

Others have said you can't, so I guess you found a way. I don't have one to test. There is a whole section in the manual about key operation and various configurations for locking/unlocking. You could look there and see if anything helps you. I don't see locking the key in the ignition is good. Especially in the event your window was smashed and someone drove off. I don't think insurance would be happy.

Others have said you can't, so I guess you found a way. I don't have one to test. There is a whole section in the manual about key operation and various configurations for locking/unlocking. You could look there and see if anything helps you. I don't see locking the key in the ignition is good. Especially in the event your window was smashed and someone drove off. I don't think insurance would be happy.
Proximity sensing is only on vehicles with push button start. He had a 2012 so no push button start or proximity sensing. Most cars somewhat new have chips in the keys so that I can't take my civic key and start your car but that's done within the ignition system.

OP, I have no clue how you would do that. The car has a security feature to where if the key is in the ignition the door won't lock. I don't think you can override that.

Yes they are. Whatever is disabling the remotes is in the ignition switch. You can just barely insert the key into the switch and as soon as the door chime will start then the remotes are disabled. Guess I'll have to figure it out for myself.

Even though it is a nice feature to prevent one from locking their keys in the car, there is a significant insurance drawback to those of us who want to warm our cars up in the winter. Insurance will not cover a loss if the car was stolen in this situation...even if it was in your driveway. To be covered, the car has to be locked.

Back