Knocking sound after springs install

phil136

Los Angeles CA
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
Okay I have read over 20 forums for different cars for this issue; so i figured id try something closer to home.

Car is brand new. Just installed H&R springs last weekend.

I noticed a slight bump/knocking from the front passenger side wheel well/suspension; when I'm backing out of parking spaces, or going slow and turning. Somewhere around 2-5 mph.

My three assumptions from what I've read are:

The top hat wasn't pointed in the correct direction. I didn't line anything up when installing the springs. Everything kinda fell into place.

The spring coils are rubbing/knocking against each other?

The roll-bar/sway bar is hitting something? Drop links?

Anyone experience this? Please help...

Last edited:
I had this kind of experience myself. When I took off my wheel, I noticed that the spring was rubbing against each other. What I did was add some lithium grease. It became a lot more quiet now. But occasionally, I would hear it faintly.

Last edited:
It certainly could be coil bind but it sounds more like it happens when the steering wheel is turned all the way one direction? Check and make sure everything is seated correctly and if there is a R and L spring and that they are on the correct side.

Spring are in correctly (sides). It doesn't take the wheel turned all the way. Sometimes slightly.

I have read that i need to align the top hat arrow something or other. Since the top hat is angled. People were experiencing similar noises when it wasn't installed correctly.. I did not see this arrow i just threw the struts back in. Any input on this?

Here the thread i got this from on the 8th:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/292430-top-hat-orientation-struts.html

Last edited:
Okay... I just went to the car to replicate the problem. Turning the wheel right to left i get a pop. (even when the car is not moving.) Turning wheel back to right, same pop. So this happens even when the car is not moving.

Also what tool do you guys recommend to get to the rear bolt on strut bearings? Its a real pain in the ***.

I guess if you can "pop" whatever it is repeatedly by turning the wheel, probably something is not lined up correctly. Is it coming from both sides or just one?

What do you mean by rear strut bearings? The nut at the top of the strut?

It seems like the passenger side, could be wrong.

The 3 nuts at the top holding the strut to the body. The rear one of the three is real pain (especially to tighten),without removing all the plastic trim above the hood./windshield.

I used an angled wrench from someone that I dont currently have.

Last edited:
At this point i think the top hat on the driver side is not lined up, causing some misalignment of another component and knocking to the other side. I did mark the rubber pieces on the top of the struts before removing, and the drivers side looks to be in a different spot.

I didn't notice the arrows on the top hats when installing. I will have to look this weekend.

This guy on vw forum put it best, although sometimes its just one "tok":

"Ok let me help out Jason, the noise were hearing is coming from the top strut mounts or bearing. Only can be heard while the car is stationary or in motion ie (parallel parking or K-turns) about below 5mph. Subframe only occurs during when car is on motion and steering wheel is turned on one direction. The noise me, Jason and other members in gollfmk6 are referring can only be audible when turning the steering wheel back and fort, again either stationary or in motion (parallel parking or K-turns).. It makes sort of a rhythmic sound everytime you turn the steering wheel left and right (tok tok tok tok).. My springs were installed by RSW and since then my car has been too all different shops and dealers trying to make out of what's causing the noise.. Shop and Dealer as follows:"

Last edited:
Also. Did i need to replace all the bolts? Locking center nut on the strut????

Last edited:
there's a little cover in the plastics at the base of the windshield that will pop off and let you access that rear nut on the top hat with a longer extension.

The rear one of the three is real pain (especially to tighten),without removing all the plastic trim above the hood./windshield.

I used an angled wrench from someone that I dont currently have.

There are caps on each side of the shroud that come off to access one of the bolts. (What you see on the right is where the windshield wiper is.)

2013-07-13 21.08.00.jpg

I was referring to the nut to the right of that. A wrench will not clear the protruding center of the strut. The only way is to take off the wiper and all that plastic, unless u use angled wrench or something else which was still a pain.

Perhaps its harder on the 2013?

Last edited:
You should be able to get a 3/8 ratchet and short socket in their no problem. You might have to put the socket on the nut first and then attach the ratchet, though.

Just tried. Low socket wont clear the bolt. Long socket +3/8 no go. :\ I might get the craftsman 85 pc Axess for 100$. Or buy an offset wrench.

BTW: I dont need to to take off the cowl for the above mentioned bolt. Can get it off through the front.

Last edited:
That sucks, but good to know as I don't have appropriate wrenches or the max axxess ones. I am contemplating doing springs soon.

Back