Lease Ending, Adding Warranty?

Tiki317

Well it's sure been a long time since I've posted here but with my lease ending and my decision keep my car, I've returned seeking some advice from fellow civic owners.

Quick Info
I have a 2013 Civic Si coupe in Alabaster silver.
It currently has 26,000 miles on it at the end of 3 years.
I have kept up with all regular maintenance consistently.

So having visited the dealer and discussing finance terms, I am choosing a 5 year plan. Being a year fresh out of university, keeping payments low is in my best interest. There are no penalties for paying off the car faster should I choose to do so in the future.

The question at hand though is whether adding a warranty to my car is worth it. I've gotten mixed answers from friends and relatives.

The Rundown:
5 years no warranty ~290 per month
5 years with warranty ~325 per month
The warranty is 5 years, 100k miles which ever comes first "bumper to bumper all inclusive."
The price itself is $1,950.

Arguments against:
1.) I'm $2000 in the hole no matter what, if nothing goes wrong in 5 years its "wasted money"
2.) Honda's power trains are generally reliable and so long as i continue to take good care if it I should be fine.
3.) Even is something goes wrong and costs say ~$800 to repair, I still have $1200 of money I didn't spend on the warranty
4.) If I decide on mods, (if anything it would be suspension & wheels, no engine things) voiding comes into play.
5.) If I decide to sell it before the 5 years

Arguments for:
1.) good old peace of mind
2.) While Honda's are generally reliable with so many new electronic systems in these newer cars these are the things that are most likely to fail. The manager at the dealership said most likely engine and such will be fine but these systems will probably go. He mentioned an O2 sensor he sees fail a lot and that runs about $800. Ouch.
3.) My living arrangements may change and my mileage may increase, causing more wear.
4.) Again, expenses. Who knows what could happen? I may having a ton of problems and easily jump over the $2000

Note, this warranty is Honda's official not a third party.

So what are your thoughts?
For those in a similar situation as mine, what did you do?
Do you see value in the warranty?
For those who have owned the car longer than I have, and/or have driven far more miles, have you had problems justifying the warranty?

Thanks for all advice in advance!

The answer....its really up to you.

With that being said......I haven't done an extended warranty on any of my Hondas. My old 2006 Si, after 86,000 needed a transmission seal that ended up costing $150 to repair at the dealership. Then again I replaced a lot of stock parts with aftermarket parts throughout its life and beat on a car a good bit.

$800 is complete bullshit on an O2 sensor. You have to remember that dealership prices are a bit inflated.

Things you need to ask yourself. Are you going to mod the car or keep it mostly stock. Do you have a garage that you could do small repairs if need be. Do you want to do repairs on your own or will you be taking it to a shop. Is there a cost associated with having something repaired under the warranty. Is the warranty really backed by Honda....ive seen horror stories were the paper work has Honda on its but its really a third party backed warranty. Can you take the car for warranty repairs only at Honda or can you go elsewhere.

The 5 year 100k miles.....is that from when the car was originally manufactured or does it start on the lease end date.

Have you shopped around for warranties from other dealerships? Back when I had my 2013 Accord Sport, there was a Honda dealership that you could purchase a Honda backed extended warranty from something like $500 less than any other Honda dealership. Might be worth a quick search.

Oem Honda o2 sensor runs $117 msrp. Collegehillshonda sells them for like $91. I'm sure there are even other 3rd party sites selling them cheaper. Sounds like he was just trying to scare you into buying the warranty. The finance person makes a cut from every one they sell.

Forget the warranty

If your car was a lemon, you'd know it already. You'll be absolutely fine for the next 100,000miles. After that, is where the problems might start creeping up

Honda has a 5yr/60k warranty from the factory. Been a Honda family since 99'. Out of 4 Civics, 3 Accords, 1 Pilot, 1 Element, and a Ridgeline we have had maybe 3 major warranty issues. Other than that everything else has been maintenance and wear items. Most of those cars have well over 150,000 miles and most went to 200,000 before we sold them. My Civic is the lowest mileage one of them all and at just shy of 110,000 miles I've had an engine mount replaced under warranty at 50k. Thats it. No other issues. Oh, one of the AC relays burned up the other day but it was $5 to replace.

Your Civic in particular is pretty easy to work on yourself. I would skip the warranty cost and just keep up with maintenance. Honda has been pretty good about extending warranties from the factory on stuff that is an issue. For example the 06-11 non-Si cars have a 10year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine blocks. The Element had the rear brakes replaced several times thanks to a TSB. I don't think the brake issue is a Honda problem but they've been awesome about it. The driver lives in the NE and puts a ton of miles on in the winter and never washes the damn thing. No wonder it gets rusty.

TL:dR - Skip the extra warranty if you keep up with maintenance and can wrench a bit yourself. If you is lazy - get it. I bet you won't ever need it.

Thank you all so much for your input.

Nomar - Mods will be minimal, yes small repairs I can do. As for major ones I have a close and trusted mechanic. The warranty is actually Honda, as far as I can tell,
Honda Care. The 5 years is from lease end date so I'd have it the length of the buyout. And no I haven't searched around for others. I saw a few websites people have linked to on here that seem to offer warranties.

Webby - Ah collegehillshonda, hadn't thought of them for replacement parts like that. I've purchased all of my maintenance things through them, filters, wipers etc. But wow he sure as hell marked up that sensor price. He did mention how he gets like $200 if i purchase the warranty so he was upfront in that regard...

NoMore - True after 3 years I've had zero issues with it *knocks on wood*

Nix - I'm very anal about maintenance and keep it super clean (well at least in the summer) Live on Long Island, NY so winter can be obnoxious.

Looks like a lean towards skipping the warranty. While I don't expect any major engine like repairs the dealer kept stressing about electronic like repairs. If the more common ones really can be done myself then that shouldn't be an issue either.

Reactions: Nix
Thank you all so much for your input.

Nomar - Mods will be minimal, yes small repairs I can do. As for major ones I have a close and trusted mechanic. The warranty is actually Honda, as far as I can tell,
Honda Care. The 5 years is from lease end date so I'd have it the length of the buyout. And no I haven't searched around for others. I saw a few websites people have linked to on here that seem to offer warranties.

Webby - Ah collegehillshonda, hadn't thought of them for replacement parts like that. I've purchased all of my maintenance things through them, filters, wipers etc. But wow he sure as hell marked up that sensor price. He did mention how he gets like $200 if i purchase the warranty so he was upfront in that regard...

NoMore - True after 3 years I've had zero issues with it *knocks on wood*

Nix - I'm very anal about maintenance and keep it super clean (well at least in the summer) Live on Long Island, NY so winter can be obnoxious.

Looks like a lean towards skipping the warranty. While I don't expect any major engine like repairs the dealer kept stressing about electronic like repairs. If the more common ones really can be done myself then that shouldn't be an issue either.
a few more posts and you'll qualify for their rewards pricing as well. Pays off to be active/post.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/forum-rewards-pricing.2392/

Back