Leather steering wheel is great

Charley H

I just added a leather steering wheel to my "Natural gas" Civic. What a great improvement. I like the feel of the leather much better than the stock wheel. The installation was pretty easy following the installation video from CHH.

Sorry for the delay...I finally got a chance to take a picture. It doesn't look like much of a difference....but, it sure feels a lot better than the standard non leather wheel. The video above is what I used to make the installation. It was really a simple installation.

IMG_2322.jpg

looks very nice.... hearing the install went well is also great. I pointed another user to this thread, as they thought the install may be too complex.

I am looking to order a leather steering wheel myself as the wheelskins just doesn't do it, especially with the fat spokes on the OEM wheel. It was really that simple? .... how long did it take?

Thanks again Webby for directing me to this post!

It really wasn't very difficult. It took about an hour to do the swap. Just make sure you have all of the tools you need before you start. The only tool that is a little unusual is the torqs socket to remove the airbag. Just take your time and you will be fine.

with it being unplugged, wouldn't it surely reduce or eliminate the chance of incident?

Thanks Charlie! .... I just ordered my wheel from College Hills and they were gracious enough to include some tech docs to assist with the install (can you tell I am a little nervous taking this on myself.... :/ ). I am sure it will be all worth it in the end as this is the first car I have owned w/o a leather wrap and I just can't get used to the feel of a naked steering wheel ....LOL

I would be nervous working around the airbag - afraid that it might go off. :ohnoes:

One of the first steps is to unplug the airbag. Once it is unplugged there isn't any way it can go off. Although I have to admit that even though I don't think it can go off....I still stayed off to the side of the "blast zone" while I was unplugging it.

Thanks Charlie! .... I just ordered my wheel from College Hills and they were gracious enough to include some tech docs to assist with the install (can you tell I am a little nervous taking this on myself.... :/ ). I am sure it will be all worth it in the end as this is the first car I have owned w/o a leather wrap and I just can't get used to the feel of a naked steering wheel ....LOL

I felt the same way....I just couldn't get used to the feel of the non leather steering wheel. I like the feel of this one MUCH better. To make the installation easier I took my ipad out to the garage and watched the video one step at a time. That way I knew I wouldn't miss any steps.

Back