Limited slip diff and vsa

mlhil

Does anyone know exactly how these two systems interact. Is the LSD mechanical such as torson or electrical in that it actually puts the brake on the slipping wheel? Thanks.

I'm assuming since your talking about vsa your talking about a non Si. Afaik it doesn't have a LSD. I think the VSA system does use the brakes though.

vsa applies the brakes
the limited slip differential is helical limited slip differential. It's mechanical gears if that's what you're asking

traction1.png

VSA is for traction and stability...the diff works to optimize handling by spinning the outside wheel faster than the inside wheel when cornering, it does not prevent the car from losing traction...but helps to provide more traction through sending power to two wheels instead of one.

Do the non si models have a LSD? I was under the impression that was only on the Si's.

^ correct. Non-si models do NOT have the LSD

I guess I was not clear enough on first post. I am asking about an si. Let me give an example of my question. If I am in a tight turn and accelerate hard the LSD will transfer power to the outside wheel to limit any spin from the inside wheel so the vsa will not kick in? If one accelerates hard in a straight line on a wet surface the LSD will help reduce spin, but will the vsa put on a brake And reduce power. If that is the case would you get the best acceleration with the vsa turned off. I could test but the car is still low mileage. Thanks

As far as I know the Si does not have vsa, that's why I thought you were asking about the other models. The LSD is not electronically controlled. Its mechanical. I believe it transfers more power to the outside wheel in a turn to keep from loosing traction. It will balance power between both from wheels to maintain traction. That being said the Si's are torquey, I still have no problem kicking the traction control light on in first or around a corner in second.

Yes, that is how it regains traction, by reducing the amount of throttle being applied.

As far as I know the Si does not have vsa, that's why I thought you were asking about the other models. The LSD is not electronically controlled. Its mechanical. I believe it transfers more power to the outside wheel in a turn to keep from loosing traction. It will balance power between both from wheels to maintain traction. That being said the Si's are torquey, I still have no problem kicking the traction control light on in first or around a corner in second.
The Si does have VSA. If i remember tight, all cars sold in the USA are now required to have some sort of stability control system.

It has traction control. Not vsa as far as I know. Also non si models have a button to disable vsa. Si models do not have this switch.

It has traction control. Not vsa as far as I know. Also non si models have a button to disable vsa. Si models do not have this switch.
i sold hondas for several years. the Si has had VSA for a long time.

from Honda's website (http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-sedan/safety.aspx):
vsa.jpg

and it also has a button to disable the VSA. Since the Si doesn't have an ECON button, the VSA button takes its place

2k12-Civic-Si-06.jpg

I was under the impression that button disabled only the traction control. Then why do the other models have a button clearly marked vsa?

I was under the impression that button disabled only the traction control. Then why do the other models have a button clearly marked vsa?
They don't. Did you even look at the regular civics? They have the same icon on the button even tho it's in a different location. It does not say "VSA." Some models did have buttons marked VSA, but the 12 civics only had icons.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357409599.944637.jpg

Like I said in my earlier post, the Feds require all model year 2012 vehicles sold in the US to have some form of ESC. Just FYI, the actual mandate is in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 126, enacted in 2007, which states:

"As part of a comprehensive plan for reducing the serious risk of rollover crashes and the risk of death and serious injury in those crashes, this document establishes a new Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) No. 126 to require electronic stability control (ESC) systems on passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,536 Kg (10,000 pounds) or less. . . . This rule requires installation of ESC in 100 percent of light vehicles by MY 2012 (with exceptions for some vehicles manufactured in stages or by small volume manufacturers)." (Emphasis added)
This is the reason why ALL 2012 MY Hondas have VSA.

Back