Lotus Manufacturing

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
For you peeps that want to start at the car being put together, skip to 18:00 on the dial. For purest start at the beginning.

This is just the opposite of robotic manufacturing.
When I was living in England (68 to 72) I could have bought a new Lotus for about $3000 and they were being built to the same standards as today, just better technology now. Back then they had only been making them for 15 to 20 years.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1U15Q212k

I posted this after most were gone for the night........... Bump

Thanks for posting. They're amazing cars, a bit pricey but a ton of fun.
Like I mentioned they were $3000 in the late 60's , I bought a Triumph Spitfire for just under $2000 , a Morgan was about a little over $2000. But when I bought mine I just assumed the others would be way out of my reach at the time, little did I know.......... But I loved my TSF, joined the locals in races(TT's) and a few tracks (Brans Hatch , Silverstone).

Like I mentioned they were $3000 in the late 60's , I bought a Triumph Spitfire for just under $2000 , a Morgan was about a little over $2000. But when I bought mine I just assumed the others would be way out of my reach at the time, little did I know.......... But I loved my TSF, joined the locals in races(TT's) and a few tracks (Brans Hatch , Silverstone).

Since I was not sure of what was the buying power of 3k in 1960s I googled :) Seems they stayed more or less in the same range. US house was arround 17k then according to google :) nowadays Evoras are arround 80k MSRP and a new house arround 350 Based on average numbers, they vary from place to place like everywhere.

Driving on Silverstone must have been great!

Last edited:
I just looked up the Lotus Europa which was the new thing in the 71's and it was $4500 in the USA....... My TR was $500 more in the USA (with 90,000m I put on it in 3 years) , and I paid just under $2000 new. So the Lotus was just out of my range then as well. Makes me feel better about my choice....... The track I liked most was Brans Hatch, lots of elevation changes, where Silverstone was made from an old military air base, so it was mostly flat. Both tracks would send two cars out at the same time.

Last edited:
One thing I can say is that they have a lot of great tracks in the UK, I see Australia is the same. Motorsports are very popular and lots of grass roots racing happening. I do not see that much of it in Canada, maybe the long winters don't help either ;)

For some strange reason British cars look great in green :)

1960_Lotus_Elite_S2_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

1960_Lotus_Elite_S2_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

Especially in British Racing Green :D ........... I think a lot of new tracks were built in the UK after I left , or I wasn't as enlightened as I thought about available tracks. In Canada I'd have to agree that it's probably the short season. One thing I don't like is the formula racing on tv where they set the track up in a city rather than a designed for racing, track. The USA is starting to get more interest and building tracks, finally. There are 4 MC /(car) tracks in Colorado 2 of those I used to take MC advanced classes, and "Track days" (about 40 / 50 $) every couple months in the summer........ I think these classes for bikes and cars is a great way for tracks to help with making a profit so more will be built.

Back