Love my civic cvt

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
I have had my car for almost 2 weeks now and I love my civic. I purchase a 2014 modern steel civic EX-L with Nav. Black interior. Here are my thoughts so far.

Interests
-Cvt drives very well. I don't ever really push it to race. However on the highway I get to my desired speed without the car seeming like it's stressing. Uphill the car maintains a good pull ratio constant so it doesn't seem like it's searching for a gear.
-pandora, xm radio, Bluetooth calling, backup camera are all great features that I use every day and they work with no issue
-heated seats are not as strong as my 335i was but they get the job done! No complaints
-speed for me, is great. It takes me where I want as a great speed and pulls when I need it. It's not a race car more did I want one. So for my needs it has just enough pull
-steering. Steers VERY nicely. Doesn't feel like it's controlled my electronics or as if you are not in full control of the turns, etc.
-MPG!!! I used to get 5 days of gas on my BMW. And the. Fill it up with $63. Now I get 8 days worth and it costs me $30 to fill it up!!!!!
-style. I mean inside just doesn't look like I pictured a honda would look like. Quality pieces and well thought out
-rims look great! A taste of sporty.
-left my keys in the car Twice and the car doesn't lock itself if it senses your keys inside.

Dislikes
I guess the backup camera could of been a little better resolution
-miss understood the honda website when they said "folding power mirrors" I guess they meant you can manually fold your power windows(which recent years are all power windows and 2013 you can manually fold). I thought like BMW you press a button and they fold up
-wish they kind off has automatic windshield option. Like rain sensor
-XENON. Or AT LEAST projector lens. With it being 2014 I feel that is a must have (projector lense) and xenon HID should be an add on paid option or standard on the EXL.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a lot of positives. For cheaper than what Honda would probably charge you for factory hid projectors, you could do a retrofit. Depending on your comfort level, you could have it done anywhere from ~$200+ by doing it yourself, to around $5-600+ by a 3rd party (depends on what brand projectors /parts you use).

I have the same model minus the Navi (Tafetta White) & I love it. I do not plan to do any mods, but I did add a bunch of Honda accessories to the car. Did you ever get a chance to take some pictures of your ride? Its always nice to see each others babies =). I assume you went for the Sedan? I have the coupe myself.

I have had my car for almost 2 weeks now and I love my civic. I purchase a 2014 modern steel civic EX-L with Nav. Black interior. Here are my thoughts so far.

Interests
-Cvt drives very well. I don't ever really push it to race. However on the highway I get to my desired speed without the car seeming like it's stressing. Uphill the car maintains a good pull ratio constant so it doesn't seem like it's searching for a gear.
-pandora, xm radio, Bluetooth calling, backup camera are all great features that I use every day and they work with no issue
-heated seats are not as strong as my 335i was but they get the job done! No complaints
-speed for me, is great. It takes me where I want as a great speed and pulls when I need it. It's not a race car more did I want one. So for my needs it has just enough pull
-steering. Steers VERY nicely. Doesn't feel like it's controlled my electronics or as if you are not in full control of the turns, etc.
-MPG!!! I used to get 5 days of gas on my BMW. And the. Fill it up with $63. Now I get 8 days worth and it costs me $30 to fill it up!!!!!
-style. I mean inside just doesn't look like I pictured a honda would look like. Quality pieces and well thought out
-rims look great! A taste of sporty.
-left my keys in the car Twice and the car doesn't lock itself if it senses your keys inside.

Dislikes
I guess the backup camera could of been a little better resolution
-miss understood the honda website when they said "folding power mirrors" I guess they meant you can manually fold your power windows(which recent years are all power windows and 2013 you can manually fold). I thought like BMW you press a button and they fold up
-wish they kind off has automatic windshield option. Like rain sensor
-XENON. Or AT LEAST projector lens. With it being 2014 I feel that is a must have (projector lense) and xenon HID should be an add on paid option or standard on the EXL.

Any thoughts?

What make you choose the EX-L instead of EX? Do you think the extra money is worth it in terms of the resale value? I am having a hard time to decide whether to go with EX-L or EX. Is the car fun to drive with the CVT transmission?

What make you choose the EX-L instead of EX? Do you think the extra money is worth it in terms of the resale value? I am having a hard time to decide whether to go with EX-L or EX. Is the car fun to drive with the CVT transmission?
The car is awesome to drive. Love the cvt as even uphill I don't have to stump on the gas. It feels like it regulates the pull needed and keeps me going.

As for resale value, honestly I look to keep this car until it dies. I intended to do that with my 2007 BMW 335i however after having my baby and $11,000 in 2 years of maintenance repairs I decided to get rid of it. Mainly I wanted four door car so if it was a four door I still would of considered keeping it. The added bonus to me is, I'm so used to BMW prices that when I see quoted prices for honda repair, it's a huge smile for me and of course honda is kown for lasting a LONG time.

I chose EXL because I planned on keeping it for 15 years if possible. I always look to buy a fully equipped car because for me, I feel it's the best way to enjoy the car as it's designed to be enjoyed. Again that is my 2 cents. EXL added fogs (which I use a good amount here in NJ), I love the leather feel and taking care of my leather, love the rims, and I added Nav so the integration of having that with Sirius radio HD sound is awesome. I purchased mine in December so I'm glad I still have heated seats as I loved that on my BMW. So mainly the EXL features are all used/loved.

Honestly ex has all the great features and I would do that to lease but in my shoes I plan on owning for a LONG time so I wanted my car to have everything.

Everyday is a pleasure driving my car. Drives quiet and smooth.

I'm the type of person that would rather buy a fully equipped civic than a base stock accord. That is the way I feel about cars.
It sucks for me when I get in peoples 5 series and they have no Bluetooth, leather, heated seats, nav, moonroof, etc. just to say I own a 5 series; at that point I would of gotten a fully equipped 3 series and got all the features that are useful. I considered the accord EXL but that car is too big for me. Also didn't like many things it offered specially the big unused screen on the center. Some asked why not si if I like top of the line. I'm not going from a 300hp sport car to a slower sport car. And I don't like cloth (as good as the si interior looks). I'm 32 years old and don't want fast, sport car. I want nice features and reliability sedan. The civic fits what I want without hurting the pocket. Many may disagree but to me, having my leather interior and design of civic is sporty AND luxurious. Maybe not $40,000+ Luxury but luxury enough for me.

The car is awesome to drive. Love the cvt as even uphill I don't have to stump on the gas. It feels like it regulates the pull needed and keeps me going.

As for resale value, honestly I look to keep this car until it dies. I intended to do that with my 2007 BMW 335i however after having my baby and $11,000 in 2 years of maintenance repairs I decided to get rid of it. Mainly I wanted four door car so if it was a four door I still would of considered keeping it. The added bonus to me is, I'm so used to BMW prices that when I see quoted prices for honda repair, it's a huge smile for me and of course honda is kown for lasting a LONG time.

I chose EXL because I planned on keeping it for 15 years if possible. I always look to buy a fully equipped car because for me, I feel it's the best way to enjoy the car as it's designed to be enjoyed. Again that is my 2 cents. EXL added fogs (which I use a good amount here in NJ), I love the leather feel and taking care of my leather, love the rims, and I added Nav so the integration of having that with Sirius radio HD sound is awesome. I purchased mine in December so I'm glad I still have heated seats as I loved that on my BMW. So mainly the EXL features are all used/loved.

Honestly ex has all the great features and I would do that to lease but in my shoes I plan on owning for a LONG time so I wanted my car to have everything.

Everyday is a pleasure driving my car. Drives quiet and smooth.

I'm the type of person that would rather buy a fully equipped civic than a base stock accord. That is the way I feel about cars.
It sucks for me when I get in peoples 5 series and they have no Bluetooth, leather, heated seats, nav, moonroof, etc. just to say I own a 5 series; at that point I would of gotten a fully equipped 3 series and got all the features that are useful. I considered the accord EXL but that car is too big for me. Also didn't like many things it offered specially the big unused screen on the center. Some asked why not si if I like top of the line. I'm not going from a 300hp sport car to a slower sport car. And I don't like cloth (as good as the si interior looks). I'm 32 years old and don't want fast, sport car. I want nice features and reliability sedan. The civic fits what I want without hurting the pocket. Many may disagree but to me, having my leather interior and design of civic is sporty AND luxurious. Maybe not $40,000+ Luxury but luxury enough for me.

Thank you for your reply! I went to a test drive for the EX-L model. The problem that I found with the CVT is that the RPM was not climbing up when the car was struggling to climb up the hill. I was trying to push the RPM to go above 3000 RPM and then it dropped down to 1500 RPM suddenly and the car just didn't have the power to climb up the hill. Similarly, I was accelerating to merge into the freeway, but the car seems to lack of power. Again, please don't get me wrong. I think the car is driving well in normal condition. I just have concern about the CVT.

I am trying to find a car that is fun to drive, but I realize there is nothing out there except with the Si. I agree with you because I am also looking for reliable and good MPG. This is why i don't want a Si. This is why i am still debating to go with EX-L or the Mazda 3 manual. I tested drive the Mazda 3 and the car was really fun to drive. But I still want to consider a Honda for more reliability and better resale value.

At the end, do you experience any problems when going up the hill with your CVT? I really think the car is just not really going with the CVT as assume it only have one gear. I am telling myself even the car might be boring to drive (compared to a manual), I am saving some money to go with the EX-L model than a Mazda 3 (pricing is about $2,000 more with the GT model). At least i know Honda is more reliable than a Mazda in my experience. Please let me know if anyone or you have any suggestions. I can't decide which car to buy and this is making me hard to pick.

Thank you for your reply! I went to a test drive for the EX-L model. The problem that I found with the CVT is that the RPM was not climbing up when the car was struggling to climb up the hill. I was trying to push the RPM to go above 3000 RPM and then it dropped down to 1500 RPM suddenly and the car just didn't have the power to climb up the hill. Similarly, I was accelerating to merge into the freeway, but the car seems to lack of power. Again, please don't get me wrong. I think the car is driving well in normal condition. I just have concern about the CVT.

I am trying to find a car that is fun to drive, but I realize there is nothing out there except with the Si. I agree with you because I am also looking for reliable and good MPG. This is why i don't want a Si. This is why i am still debating to go with EX-L or the Mazda 3 manual. I tested drive the Mazda 3 and the car was really fun to drive. But I still want to consider a Honda for more reliability and better resale value.

At the end, do you experience any problems when going up the hill with your CVT? I really think the car is just not really going with the CVT as assume it only have one gear. I am telling myself even the car might be boring to drive (compared to a manual), I am saving some money to go with the EX-L model than a Mazda 3 (pricing is about $2,000 more with the GT model). At least i know Honda is more reliable than a Mazda in my experience. Please let me know if anyone or you have any suggestions. I can't decide which car to buy and this is making me hard to pick.

Take a serious look at the Si - it's $200 more than the EX-L and all you give up (that I quickly checked on) is Leather, heated/power seats & mirrors, and about 3 mpg actual (we've averaging 32+ in our '12 Si). You gain a better radio and an awesome 6-speed manual. We live in the Berkshires @ 1,200 ft. with decent sized hills and it's rare to even have to downshift once you're above 40 mph; and once you do - :)

Last edited:
Take a serious look at the Si - it's $200 more than the EX-L and all you give up (that I quickly checked on) is Leather, heated/power seats & mirrors, and about 3 mpg actual (we've averaging 32+ in our '12 Si). You gain a better radio and an awesome 6-speed manual. We live in the Berkshires @ 1,200 ft. with decent sized hills and it's rare to even have to downshift once you're above 40 mph; and once you do - :)
You probably are driving all freeway to get 32mpg. My last 2007 si was getting 22mpg only. If I can get better mpg, I am willing to give up the "fun to drive" factor.

You probably are driving all freeway to get 32mpg. My last 2007 si was getting 22mpg only. If I can get better mpg, I am willing to give up the "fun to drive" factor.
In town driving with my Si, I get 28-32 depending on how much "fun" I am having. That is with full bolt-ons and a tune.

I'm indifferent about the CVT. I rather have the 5 speed auto over it, even though the 5 speed auto is old enough to vote.

About 60% "city" 40% highway - but it doesn't make much difference 31 Winter and 33+ summer. AC and 75+ will drive it down to about 29 mpg.

Thank you for your reply! I went to a test drive for the EX-L model. The problem that I found with the CVT is that the RPM was not climbing up when the car was struggling to climb up the hill. I was trying to push the RPM to go above 3000 RPM and then it dropped down to 1500 RPM suddenly and the car just didn't have the power to climb up the hill. Similarly, I was accelerating to merge into the freeway, but the car seems to lack of power. Again, please don't get me wrong. I think the car is driving well in normal condition. I just have concern about the CVT...

Please let me know if anyone or you have any suggestions. I can't decide which car to buy and this is making me hard to pick.

That is new to me. I literally test drove the car 4 times before i decided to buy it. lol. I'm glad the sales person didn't mind but the power was a HUGE concern to me as well after seeing nissan rouge CVT not being able to go over 80mph up hill.

I wil have to tell you this is the first 4 cylinder car I have ever owned and i have went uphill and did not notice a problem. Of course with my sport car in second gear i would feather the gas and i would GOOOO. With this it needs a bit more acceleration but i don't see it as a struggle factor, in fact I see it as a 1.8 4 cylinder car norm. Not sure how steep the hill you are going on though. I was in NY one time and to get to the partaking log it was a VERY STEEP hill like entry. I was scared on how i was going to get back up, even worst, if my car was going to struggle and be embarrassed. Once i picked up my car I went up and press the gas, and the car went no different than any hill. I was surprised and happy.

I'm used to a CVT. When entering a freeway i would gradually step on the gas harder and the car catches speed pretty well. Now if I floor it in a FAST moment, I notice a kick as if it had gears and mimics a drop in gears and the rpm rise. If ever and i've only done this once to test it, you press it to the end and the rpm rise to say 6,000rpm, because you are at that high rpm at constant time, you tend to catch your desired mph pretty quickly.

As for fun? Well this car compared to my bmw coupe is not as fun. The coupe has KICK and the engine sound was nice, etc.. However this car is fun in it's own way. It feels more adultish, with a little sport in it. More comfort quiet drive. Again that's my take many will not put luxury and honda in the same sentence but to me, it's more luxury drive than a sports car.

My wife owned a mazda once for 4 months and left it to get a bmw for a small loss because that car sucked really badly. This was 8 years ago. I don't know if mazda has changed but i will never look to get a mazda; to own. I hear their parts are expensive as well, at least compared to a honda or toyota.

MPG for me is great! my coupe gave me 21-24 at most when i would drive like a grandma. Now i get 32 usually and sometimes 36.6pmg when i train 4 times that week (highway).

Style, comfort, price, features, mpg, reliability, high safety rating = to own a PERFECT car if the space is good. The space is GREAT for my wife, newborn and myself.

"Get a SUV, get a truck, get a minivan" they all told me. perhaps when we are on our 2nd or 3rd child, but that's why my wife leases because as our life changes, her can can be a SUV, minivan, etc... For now my civic fits groceries, training gear, stroller... If we move or need to buy something big, i'll use my dads 350 econoline van or cousins SUV, heck i don't mind rending a truck. saving mpg is GREAT for me.

Good luck on your choice but if you're looking to own, i would pick Honda!

Reactions: Nix
That is new to me. I literally test drove the car 4 times before i decided to buy it. lol. I'm glad the sales person didn't mind but the power was a HUGE concern to me as well after seeing nissan rouge CVT not being able to go over 80mph up hill.

I wil have to tell you this is the first 4 cylinder car I have ever owned and i have went uphill and did not notice a problem. Of course with my sport car in second gear i would feather the gas and i would GOOOO. With this it needs a bit more acceleration but i don't see it as a struggle factor, in fact I see it as a 1.8 4 cylinder car norm. Not sure how steep the hill you are going on though. I was in NY one time and to get to the partaking log it was a VERY STEEP hill like entry. I was scared on how i was going to get back up, even worst, if my car was going to struggle and be embarrassed. Once i picked up my car I went up and press the gas, and the car went no different than any hill. I was surprised and happy.

I'm used to a CVT. When entering a freeway i would gradually step on the gas harder and the car catches speed pretty well. Now if I floor it in a FAST moment, I notice a kick as if it had gears and mimics a drop in gears and the rpm rise. If ever and i've only done this once to test it, you press it to the end and the rpm rise to say 6,000rpm, because you are at that high rpm at constant time, you tend to catch your desired mph pretty quickly.

As for fun? Well this car compared to my bmw coupe is not as fun. The coupe has KICK and the engine sound was nice, etc.. However this car is fun in it's own way. It feels more adultish, with a little sport in it. More comfort quiet drive. Again that's my take many will not put luxury and honda in the same sentence but to me, it's more luxury drive than a sports car.

My wife owned a mazda once for 4 months and left it to get a bmw for a small loss because that car sucked really badly. This was 8 years ago. I don't know if mazda has changed but i will never look to get a mazda; to own. I hear their parts are expensive as well, at least compared to a honda or toyota.

MPG for me is great! my coupe gave me 21-24 at most when i would drive like a grandma. Now i get 32 usually and sometimes 36.6pmg when i train 4 times that week (highway).

Style, comfort, price, features, mpg, reliability, high safety rating = to own a PERFECT car if the space is good. The space is GREAT for my wife, newborn and myself.

"Get a SUV, get a truck, get a minivan" they all told me. perhaps when we are on our 2nd or 3rd child, but that's why my wife leases because as our life changes, her can can be a SUV, minivan, etc... For now my civic fits groceries, training gear, stroller... If we move or need to buy something big, i'll use my dads 350 econoline van or cousins SUV, heck i don't mind rending a truck. saving mpg is GREAT for me.

Good luck on your choice but if you're looking to own, i would pick Honda!

Thanks for your reply again!

I have already placed a safety deposit on the civic ex-l without navigation and going to pick it up on Saturday. I think I will ask to test drive again in my 3rd times to test out the acceleration before signing the paper. The last salesman was really insane. I was only cruising 30mph in a 45 zone, he still asked me to slow down. I am going to another dealership this time.

The new Mazda 3 is really like a Si except the Si is probably more reliable and keep its value but the Mazda 3 can get you very good mpg which the Si can't. The old Mazda might be suck but this new one seems to be improved a lot. Driving a manual is always more enjoying than driving an auto (in here, we are driving cvt). I think I will go for the honda for the reliability and willing to give up the fun factor for the mazda3 manual or civic Si. I also own a honda fit but that car has serious road noise and slow, replaced a new battery when the car only have less than 14k miles. My 2003 civic hybrid had a transmission problem and clutch issue, sold the car with a big loss. I really hope this new civic will not give me anymore headache and last for a long time which is why I rather go with a civic than the Mazda.

Also this honda is $2000 cheaper than the Mazda 3 with leather and backup camera. The wheel is nicer than the Mazda and our civic comes with fog light!

EX-L comes with fog lights, and a different rim setup... correct me if im wrong but theyre 18s... you also get the navigation and black interior... other then that its pretty much the same as the EX... the EX wheels look better imo

No, the one i was going to purchase doesn't come with Navigation. Bad news news... the car has 160 miles on it because the dealer traded a car with another dealership and it was drove from a far dealership. I can't justify buying a new car with that much of miles. I am planning to cancel the sales and now i might have to go with Mazda3 because there is no inventory on the EX-L in the CA. I really don't know how much longer to wait. :(

Last edited:
No, the one i was going to purchase doesn't come with Navigation. Bad news news... the car has 160 miles on it because the dealer traded a car with another dealership and it was drove from a far dealership. I can't justify buying a new car with that much of miles. I am planning to cancel the sales and now i might have to go with Mazda3 because there is no inventory on the EX-L in the CA. I really don't know how much longer to wait. :(

IMHO(You of course will do what you want)......... A few hundred miles put on it for transport would not be an issue to me, and I always buy new.... just saying.
Of course, it should have been discussed by you and the dealer before the transfer took place.:D

Back