Super Mod
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Alexandria, VA
Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
A bill already passed by the Senate and set to be rubber stamped by the House would make it mandatory for all new cars in the United States to be fitted with black box data recorders from 2015 onwards.

Section 31406 of Senate Bill 1813 (known as MAP-21), calls for “Mandatory Event Data Recorders” to be installed in all new automobiles and legislates for civil penalties to be imposed against individuals for failing to do so.

“Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall revise part 563 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, to require, beginning with model year 2015, that new passenger motor vehicles sold in the United States be equipped with an event data recorder that meets the requirements under that part,” states the bill.

Read more here at Infowars.com. Discuss.

I was under the impression that all cars already had something like this with the whole dual stage airbag systems. The vehicle state at time of deployment was saved and was accessible to accident examiners. I didnt see any indication as to what parameters, time frame and other sorts of stuff these boxes were to be recording.

Next Stop "The sign of the Beast" where everyone will be forced to receive an implant on your left hand or forehead, for tracking purposes, courtesy of our United States of America. Coming soon to your near village!!!! :usa:

I saw an article that stated :They’ve been around since 1996, are found in at least 60 million vehicles, and are a feature in 85% of new cars every year.

so 85% of new cars currently have it. Previous gen civics had them as well.

example data -

Black_box_data_from_a_crash_from_the_NHTSA.jpg

clubrsx has some threads talking about users downshifting to the wrong gear - blowing their motors. Acura could see the rev limit in the black box and voided the motor warranty on user error.

“Virtually every car that has an air bag has some kind of recording ability,” says James Casassa, of Wolf Forensics which specializes in downloading crash information from vehicles made by GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda. The recorders capture information about how fast you were going and whether you slammed on the brakes in the seconds before and after a crash. They capture just a snapshot, not a continual record of your driving activity "

Manufacturers who have not been including them (such as Mercedes-Benz and Audi) will have to start. And as IEEE reports, recent rules from the NHTSA have standardized what those event recorders capture: “a car’s speed, how far the accelerator was pressed, the engine revolutions per minute, whether the driver hit the brakes, whether the driver was wearing a safety belt, and how long it took for the airbags to deploy.”

if you crash the car and airbags deploy... then they could see it.

i remember hearing that onstar operators were listening in on peoples cars for their own amusement

clubrsx has some threads talking about users downshifting to the wrong gear - blowing their motors. Acura could see the rev limit in the black box and voided the motor warranty on user error.

That kinda sucks.....what if you in 6th doing the speed limit on the hwy and want to pass someone, try to go into 4th(cause you know you have to in a Honda) and you accidently went into 2nd, boom boom goes your motor.

Still void your ish?

void...user error is not covered. I believe there were at least 2 cases on 8th I recall reading where someone tried to hit 4th gear and accidentally put it 2nd... over revved and boom. Had to get a new engine on their own dime.

Back