MarkA - 2012 Si Sedan

New brake pads and rotors.

My next HPDE is in about a week, so I spent the day installing the brake pads and rotors I'll be using on the track. I have Carbotech XP10 pads, and new rotors to mate them with.

I see the value of the screws that hold the rotors in place. I had thought that the new rotors would be snug enough that they would stay in place by themselves. That wasn't the case. Especially in the front, where the rotors are fairly heavy, it was a bit tough to keep the rotor in place while trying to line up the bolt holes to get the caliper bolted back on.

In the rear, there is a spring-loaded line for the parking brake to each caliper. The bracket that holds it needs to be removed to get the caliper off. Re-attaching it is a BIG pain. I tried for a LONG time to re-mount the bracket *after* I had re-attached the line. That isn't the way to do it. It is nearly impossible to hold the bracket in place, line up the bolt holes, and get the bolts back in while the parking brake line is trying to pull things apart. Once I gave up, and detached the line, the bracket bolted on easy, and it was much easier to wrangle the parking brake line back onto its tab with the bracket in place than to wrangle the bracket into place with the parking brake line attached to its tab.

From the experience gained, I'm hoping the next time I change rotors, it will take me about 1/4 the time it took the first time.

Once everything was back together, I went out to bed the pads. They feel really good, even when cold. I'm hoping that with the Carbotech pads, and RBF600 brake fluid, my brakes will hold up better than last time. I suppose the tires will be the next thing to go. I can't imagine they will have much tread left after two days of fast laps.

Reactions: Nix
I found a tip for holding the rotors in place while you wrangle the calipers into place: just use a lug nut or two. Duh. Seems obvious NOW....

The other unexpected lesson from spending an afternoon wrenching on the brake system: it's a lot of actual work! I'm really sore today. I didn't realize it at the time, but if you add up all the getting up and down, torquing bolts to 80 ft-lbs, loosening bolts that have previously been torqued to 80 ft-lbs, moving calipers, carrying rotors, lifting tires, etc, etc....it's probably the equivalent of doing about 50 sit-ups, and a fair amount of weight-lifting. The main difference is that you've actually accomplished something, rather than just sweating at the gym!

One more bit of data: I can definitely confirm that the Carbotech brake pads for the 2012+ Civic Si Sedan are:
CT914 for the front
CT537 for the rear.

Not much new to report. I had my first track outing for the year. I didn't push it quite as hard as I did last year. I used Carbotech RP2 pads, front and rear, and Centric drilled front rotors. I usually put my street rotors back on after a track session, but the drilled ones look so bad-assed, I'm going to leave them on. Also, I developed a small chip in the black Plasti-dip coating on the front grille emblem, with a tiny bit of silver showing through!

One lesson I learned last year: the front brakes got so hot, the heat conducted into the wheels, and the little plastic cap in the center of the wheel got soft and fell out! So, I took the other two out, and now just have bare hubs.

I'm starting to worry about putting so much stress on my daily ride, and have decided to look into getting a dedicated track car. Something RWD. Probably a BMW, possibly a Nissan 350Z.

Ever thought about coming to the Dragon meet in the fall? I know its a long haul. I did it last year from Rochester. Totally worth it.

Back