CATFAT112

Ventura, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic EX-L
Body Style
Sedan
Looking to Mod My 2012 Civic HF to get maximum fuel economy
Hit me up with any suggestions to maximize my MPG

Welcome......... I'd never heard of a HF before, but after just reading about it, it seems to be about as fuel efficient as it's going to get mod wise(I could always be wrong).
But, as CivicMx said hypermiling will bring way more results at the end of each tank. Just keep in mind to stay with the flow of traffic enough not to be a hazard to you and others.

Don't ride during rush hours........ :D

Lighter wheels and tires. If you stick with the stock size you can pick up some incredibly light wheels for a very good price and you won't need new tires.

Just a quick look on tire rack and you can get a 15" Motegi MR121 that is only 14lb.

Enkei RPF-1s in a 15x7 are 9.8 lbs.

Lots of Konig wheels in a 15" size are around 13lbs as well.

Depends on what direction you want to go with your car.

The HF's 15-inch aluminum wheels were designed for ideal aerodynamic flow to further cut excess drag; the same goes for the tiny spoiler affixed to the sedan's trunk.
not sure of the actual wheel weight on them.

Lighten your load
Carry only the bare neccessities — don’t haul things in your trunk. “For every extra 250 pounds your engine hauls, the car loses about one mile per gallon in fuel economy.”

Buy gas on Wednesdays
“Gas prices are statistically the cheapest on Wednesdays, but this is only true over a large number of days. It won’t be true every week.” Gas prices often jump before holidays, too.

Buy gas during the coolest times of the day
“During these times gasoline is densest. Keep in mind – gas pumps measure volumes of gasoline, not densities of fuel concentration. You are charged according to ‘volume of measurement’.”

Drive at a constant moderate speed
Edmunds.com found that the best way to improve fuel efficiency was to accelerate slowly and to brake over a longer distance. Aside from purchasing a new vehicle,this is the single most effective step you can take to reduce your costs. According to fueleconomy.gov: “As a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas.”

Use cruise control
If you’re like me, your driving speed tends to fluctuate. Cruise control takes the human element out of the equation, and keeps driving speeds steady. It’s the easy way to drive at a constant moderate pace.

Don’t idle
Turn off your engine if you’ll be idling for more than thirty seconds. Starting your vehicle does use a burst of fuel, but not as much as allowing the engine to idle too long.

Anticipate stop signs and lights
Plan ahead. The less you have to stop, the better your gas mileage. Make it a game to catch all of the green lights. Laugh at the other guy as he sprints from red to red.

===
look at hypermilling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-efficient_driving

Last edited:
It's also not necessary to warm up the engine for more than 5min when it's cold. I normally warm my car up for 20-60 seconds, depending how cold it is.

The only reason to buy gas during a cooler time of day is to avoid evaporation loss from your gas tank, which is minimal anyway since its under pressure. The temperature of gas doesn't change much at all until it gets out of the nozzle and into the tank. Gas storage tanks are buried DEEP underground so the temp change is VERY small, and temperature has a minimal effect on liquid density anyway.

Back