Modding without voiding warranty

movethatbud

Hey guys,
Got my 2014 black Si sedan in April of this year. It's my first brand new car (previously drove an '01 Sonata), and I love it. I know that doing things like intakes, aggressive tunings, and turbos can instantly void my 3-year warranty on the engine. But I also know that I've dreamed about modding my car for years and don't know how much longer I can wait. Is there anything I can do without voiding my Warranty? Further, should I even care about the warranty?

You can do whatever you want to the car. The dealership would have to prove a certain modification directly caused a part failure.

Inback of downpipe back... no
Intake that does not need a tune.... no
oiled filter.. maybe... if this was a VW yes as VW will blame anything besides their substandard MAF / MAS.
Tune... that depends, if you leave it in and take the car back .... yes.. if you take it off, there is still a flash count so maybe within reason. If I blew my engine, with a tune on you could be that the ecu would find mr microwave. LOL not really as I have enough cash to buy a new engine..

UD pulley... yep that is an automatic void and please unless you understand 1st to 3rd level sinusodial harmonics and have at least 3 Calc classes don't bother me.

DP... probably plus it is completely and totally illegal to replace the factory cat within OEM warranty periods. Note I said replace, so that would be even aftermarket DP with CAT.

I worked my way thru three college degrees as a mechanic, inspector and arbitrator. I teach now so learn from the Oldman, been there hundreds of times.

Suspension not really unless it is like ball joints, dampers OEM or axle boots. The mod has to be related to failure. That is the ONLY help of the Moss act. Even then the dealer will note your tune and may replace your um rear damper, but if you towed it in with a bent valve and the last 20 seconds before the check engine light went on said max rpm was 7600 RPM, you can bet you will be voided. What the ECU has things like max engine RPM reached??? Last oil change, least burb, last reflash, reflash count... duh.

If it were me, Id put it back 100% stock before any warranty claim.. but we all have our opinions. The dealer has OEM white papers, a certified mechanic, a trained factory rep, a regional manager, a preprinted letter of denial based on ANY part you can name.

To the mod, with respect. Every OEM dealer has an engineering white paper on nearly every mod. If you go to arbitration with an opinion and the silly moss act you will get laughed at.

Last edited:
^ what Oldman said. If you mod, that part of the car will most likely not be covered under the warranty. Ex. You install lowering springs they probably won't cover a strut failure under warranty. Tune the engine and blow it, probably not going to be covered under warranty.

Back