More Horsepower?

818_kevs

Vehicle Model
Lx
Body Style
coupe
I recently added a takeda intake and i notice a pretty big difference and the car is a lot more fun to drive now but i was wondering if there is anything else i can add to the car for more horses?

... The other half of the engine?

(I kid.)

Was it Full-Race who was doing bolt-on turbo kits for the R18s? Don't recall.

Reactions: Nix
Yeah, the R18 does not respond as well as the Si to bolt on changes. There are turbo and supercharger kits available but without the release of a 9th gen flashpro you're kinda stuck with just the basics. The car will try and fight you all the way to stay as efficient as possible. From the design of the intake runners to the cam profile.

That said, an exhaust may improve things a little more but you might get more satisfaction out of some suspension and handling changes than other power parts.

Alright thanks guys, it sucks that they still havnt made the flashpro :/

Reactions: Nix
True, but you really won't need it unless you are planning on going the turbo/sc route.

Alright thanks guys, it sucks that they still havnt made the flashpro :/
I agree with Nix above, suspension mods are better bang for your buck on the R18. Why waste money trying to build your wearker engine into some kinda half assed SI motor, when you could focus on suspension instead and make your LX a beast at handling. Handling upgrades are almost more noticeable than power upgrades when it comes to just simple driving enjoyment.

For instance I just put a 22mm Progress RSB on my LX and it is night and day. The car feels more powerful and fun even though it's stock, because I can rip confidently around corners much quicker. I wouldn't waste any more money on power bolt ons for the R18 but thats just me. An exhaust I can maybe understand tho, for engine sound & rear end aesthetics

I agree with Nix above, suspension mods are better bang for your buck on the R18. Why waste money trying to build your wearker engine into some kinda half assed SI motor, when you could focus on suspension instead and make your LX a beast at handling. Handling upgrades are almost more noticeable than power upgrades when it comes to just simple driving enjoyment.

For instance I just put a 22mm Progress RSB on my LX and it is night and day. The car feels more powerful and fun even though it's stock, because I can rip confidently around corners much quicker. I wouldn't waste any more money on power bolt ons for the R18 but thats just me. An exhaust I can maybe understand tho, for engine sound & rear end aesthetics
how much did you buy it for and where?

The quality of the moog bushings are better than the progress.

Based on what? One member's opinion/external inspection? -> http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/rear-sway-bar-bushing-upgrade.10188/

Consider this, you buy either the 22mm Progress bar or the 24mm - Guess what, it comes with bushings (and the latter with adjustable endlinks as well.) You can't expect anyone with half a mind to believe that the slight (and I do mean 'slight') differences between Progress' bushings and Moog's bushings to be worth the cost of not only paying for the included Progress bushings, but then to also throw them aside, to then go and spend more cash on the Moogs. (Albiet only $10, but its $10 that just isn't worth it to me. - Say the Progress' were even just $5, thats $15 total. On a wear item, mind you.)

I've personally used Progress' 22mm bushings for the past ~50k miles. No need for replacement yet. No signs of failure. And *IF* they do, then I'll buy whatever is cheapest. Soley for the reason that I'll bet that extra $15 that I, nor 99% of people here, would be able to tell the difference between the two with the car in motion. The bar increase/decrease in size is whats going to be felt most (and even that won't be very noticable to users on upgraded suspensions with stiffer spring rates - Ask RedShiftChris if you need the opinion of someone in the "know".)

To recap, in dollar figures:

Progress 22mm Sway - $203 (Corsport) w/ bushings
Moog bushings - $10 (Amazon)
Moog Endlinks (NON-adjustable) - $62 (Redshift/Bestsuspension) -> http://store.redshiftmotorsports.com/moog/moog_antiroll_bar_endlinks/k750125k750126/i-1926701.aspx
-OR-
Hotchkis Adjustable Endlinks - $117 (Kseriesparts) -> http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HOT-25405R.html
-OR-
Progress Adjustable Endlinks - $111 (Corsport)

Total: (Worst Case) - $330; (Best case) - $275, and lose the ability to properly corner balance due to non-adjustable endlinks.

... Or buy Progress' 24mm "kit" (includes adjustable endlinks) from RedShiftChris for $265. To me, thats a no brainer.

Back