Mother of all Mother detailing threads...

if you're talking about these:
ulAXiIA.jpg

I've just replaced them over time if they get dirty/bad looking. They're a buck or so in most auto stores. If you're referring to the type of pad that goes on a buffer... rasky did a writeup on them here -

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/ask-a-pro-cleaning-foam-buffing-pads/

Is the meguiars 105 something that is able to be used over the entire car? And then the 205 after?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is the meguiars 105 something that is able to be used over the entire car? And then the 205 after?

Yeah, they're used for paint correction/polishing.

Yea just wanna make sure I don't end up messing up the paint on the entire car lol

Try 205 on a white pad first. Honda paint is pretty soft and cleans up well. If you have deeper marks or the 205 isn't taking enough off you can bump up to the 105 but even Megs 205 with an orange cutting pad has pretty good bite.

The nice thing about the 205 is that if you don't use too aggressive of a pad, it finishes nicely and won't require another step.

Im getting ready to 5 step my car. Just got it with 35k on the clock. im just trying to find some tips on the best finish without ruining the paint. I used to do paintless dent repair and we would use a compound after a bit of work. This was on small areas. You think it's safe to use 105 for the whole vehicle or just on the deep stuff and polish with the 205 on the rest of the car? I don't wanna hologram the whole car and then go back and polish. But I do want the best shine possible.

Rule of thumb is don't go more aggressive than necessary. The more aggressive you go, the more clear you're removing each detail. Start with 205 as nix said. If you have some really bad spots, treat those areas with the 105.

Prep is key. Mechanical and chemical decon first for good results.

Clay/polymer product and IronX/fallout remover. Diluted IPA wipedown.

Try 205/white pad first

Then 205/orange if it's a rough spot.

Use the 105 sparingly.

205 is considered a finishing polish but it has enough cut depending on the pad you pair it with to handle Honda paint very very well.

If you want to go with a jeweling finish beyond that, look at the Menzerna super finish products and you can try using a red pad. (blue and black pads are considered finishing pads too)

If you want to try them, the Lake Country Hydrotech pads work very well too. The Cyan has a nice cut/finish balance to it.

I don't have any pads. I usually use a microfiber to apply and polish waxes. The IPA is a good idea. Thanks much

OK so im looking at getting white/orange/black hand foam polishing pads. After application, is it ok to take a microfiber to it to clean up any excess or will that '"cut" the paint? I seeing that microfiber might not be the best for applying polishes. Also, im kinda confused on when to use microfiber to apply any products, and when to use foam. Thanks all!!

Last edited:
Dude, you need an actual buffing machine. Doing it by hand is not going to cut it. All the recommendations I gave were for using a machine. Doing it by hand is essentially futile. Small areas can be buffed by hand but entire body panels, and a whole car, are going to need the power of a machine.

If you're going to attempt it by hand, 2 bucket wash, IronX, clay bar, and wax it.

Results will be nowhere near the same as using a buffer. The "pads" he's mentioned above are for use on a buffer/orbital polisher. If you just had small areas to correct you could do it by hand, but even then it's not the same. The revolutions per minute can't be matched by your arm. Can you use your arm and apply stuff...yeah. It's just not going to "correct" the paint as fast or as well as a machine will. You'll want to saw your arm off before long if you attempt a full car paint correction. Different products use different pads and also different speeds on the polisher to properly correct and not burn your paint.

This one was recommended to me from a detailer on the forum - it's worked really well for me.

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10813STDCRD-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B009UKUUWE

Find out if it's a rotary, a dual action, or orbital. Post up the brand/model if he doesn't know. If you're not used to a rotary, it's a lot easier to create holograms or damage your paint.

Reactions: Nix
It's been a while since I've detailed but I have great feel. I'll be finding out soon what he's got and I'll post up. Any recommendations for a pairing with meguiars 205?

Nix said 205 with a white pad and then an orange pad on bad spots.

Well I ment for a two step polish or do you think just the 205 would be fine ?

Back