My pistons and rings are being replaced

2000GM

S.E. MA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Add me to the ranks. Honda told my dealer to replace my pistons and rings.

I'm kind of surprised because my consumption wasn't as bad as others I've read about. At 4700 miles I was down by about 2.5 quarts. Changed oil then and filled it so that when warm the oil was just above the upper hole of the dipstick. Now at 7800 miles its right below the lower hole. I know some people were burning a quart every 1,000 miles or less. Mine was about 1/2 that.

No consumption test, they just went on my word and inspected the car. I know they used a bore scope to look at the cylinder walls, but I don't know what else they did to inspect it.

Sorry to hear. Well I guess it gets fixed though. Wonder why they pulled the trigger so quickly w/o a consumption test? Maybe they know something we don't or they just said screw lets just fix it cause of all the others with problems?

No consumption test on mine either and its in for replacement to just like 2000GM. I was going through about 3/4 to 1qt every 1k miles avg.

I'm just assuming that with the bore scope they made the decision based on what they're able to see inside. Maybe this is a new practice if a car that comes in with consumption complaints is within the TSB's VIN range? Just bypass the test and look at the condition of the cylinder walls.

Interesting. When I complain about consumption my dealer said its normal, cuz of city traffic.... I'll bring it up again next oil change maybe they will look at it with a scope, I'm in the vin range.

Well, at least they're fixing the issue for you. The others who've had the work done seem happy with the results.

Interesting. When I complain about consumption my dealer said its normal, cuz of city traffic.... I'll bring it up again next oil change maybe they will look at it with a scope, I'm in the vin range.

Find a new dealer!! Some of them out there really SUCK!!! What would city miles have to do with ANYTHING??
Wow that's a new one!!!
" Here you go Ma'am or Sir, here's your new car, by the way don't drive in the city you'll burn/use oil". WTF?????

Lol I know. It's a silly excuse. When I had them look up my vin the tsb didn't pop up. They r kinda lazy over there ill admit, but it's really close to me, others r far away.

I know that feeling EXACTLY!! My local dealership is only 4 miles away but the one I bought Si from is over 50 miles away!

I agree I'm happy Honda is addressing the issue and stepping to the plate. I have to be honest though....I know it is impractical for them, but I think I'd rather see the engine get sent back to the factory for this, where the work was done by people and equipment that assemble it in the first place.

Is this oil consumption problem just affecting the SI's? What is the vin range of the cars affected?

I agree I'm happy Honda is addressing the issue and stepping to the plate. I have to be honest though....I know it is impractical for them, but I think I'd rather see the engine get sent back to the factory for this, where the work was done by people and equipment that assemble it in the first place.
Even if the root cause is from a production error on the assembly line? I would rather a certified mechanic do it because he would probably do it better than the assembly line and also check for other issues and concerns while the motor was opened up.

That's another way to look at it yes, but it wasn't an assembly line worker's mistake that caused the problem. It was a bad batch of rings Honda decided to use. Hence, the TSB only regarding VIN's in a certain range. The cars in that range are the ones where the bad rings were used.

That's another way to look at it yes, but it wasn't an assembly line worker's mistake that caused the problem. It was a bad batch of rings Honda decided to use. Hence, the TSB only regarding VIN's in a certain range. The cars in that range are the ones where the bad rings were used.
Yeah I get that. I didn't even look at the tsb I was just generalizing. I've seen tsb's issued in the past from procedural errors on a production line.

If I knew it was a competent person doing the work and the shop environment was controlled/clean then I'd have no issue. I am inclined to think Honda techs may in general be a little better than the average dealer shop tech. However I still get worried that someone inexperienced and not so careful may be doing the job and that a little "that's good enough" ethic may come into play.

If I knew it was a competent person doing the work and the shop environment was controlled/clean then I'd have no issue. I am inclined to think Honda techs may in general be a little better than the average dealer shop tech. However I still get worried that someone inexperienced and not so careful may be doing the job and that a little "that's good enough" ethic may come into play.
Actually I was told only certain level techs are allowed to perform warranty work. And that usually major stuff like internals were reserved for the master technician.

That would make sense.

I know I've read of 2 members either here or on another 9th forum whose cars had issues after this job. I think one guys issue was with the electrical system, and another guy had an oil leak of some sort.

As long as it comes back running 100% with no damage to the body or interior then I'll be happy. I hate to say though my plan to keep this car 8years/200,000 miles isn't looking so good. I'm not upset at Honda at all, these things happen, and I would in fact buy another Si or maybe an Accord Sport manual trans.

Hmmm not feeling to good about this. I haven't had any problems, my mechanic hasn't said anything to me, but I do fall in range with this one.

Back