Navi brightness bug

Sevael

Hi all,

I'm running a 2012 Civic with Navi and the Navi screen has this minor bug that has been bothering me for years.

If I have the headlights turned on (or set to Auto and it's dark out) when I turn on the car, the Navi's screen is washed out. The blacks are very gray and the colors are faded. It stays this way until I either touch the brightness/contrast settings or I turn the headlights off and on again, at which point the brightness and contrast snaps back to what it should be for the night time profile.

I have reset all settings, played with the brightness and contrast settings, but the bug persists.

I recall that when the car was new it didn't have this bug, so I'm hoping it's just something I did that can be undone. I have never updated the maps and there are no firmware updates, so it wasn't brought on by anything like that.

Anybody else experience this? Any fix?

Hi all,

I'm running a 2012 Civic with Navi and the Navi screen has this minor bug that has been bothering me for years.

If I have the headlights turned on (or set to Auto and it's dark out) when I turn on the car, the Navi's screen is washed out. The blacks are very gray and the colors are faded. It stays this way until I either touch the brightness/contrast settings or I turn the headlights off and on again, at which point the brightness and contrast snaps back to what it should be for the night time profile.

I have reset all settings, played with the brightness and contrast settings, but the bug persists.

I recall that when the car was new it didn't have this bug, so I'm hoping it's just something I did that can be undone. I have never updated the maps and there are no firmware updates, so it wasn't brought on by anything like that.

Anybody else experience this? Any fix?
welcome to the forum.

I would take a look at how your day/night settings are stored in your nav unit. If you're doing it manually with the sun/moon icon, it's going to reset after you turn the car off each time. See the difference between the normal setup and the manual change below.

nav.png

============================
============================
Manual info below - again this will change the normal settings above until you shut the car off the next time. Then they will revert to the stored settings. So I'd look at your settings above to see how your brightness is adjusted for day/night modes.

nav1.png

nav2.png

Thanks for the reply.

My settings were done in the actual settings, not via the sun/moon button. I have tried all sorts of combinations and it's the same issue.

I have uploaded a YouTube video to demonstrate. It's not quite as easy to see in video; in person the difference is very noticeable.

Wow that is quite weird. I was sure it was probably just the moon/sun button messing things up for you. I don’t even know what to suggest.

Is it always 1 extra flip of on/off that corrects it every time?

Anything that changes it from day mode to night mode fixes it. It basically ignores the black level setting until it has to re-engage night mode, at which point it takes the proper settings.

If I start the car in day mode (i.e. lights off) then it's fine when I switch to night mode because switching to night mode pulls the correct settings. It only happens when the car starts in night mode.

I'm guessing you do not have any type of extended warranty through honda?

Back